[comp.lang.objective-c] Recommendations for an Objective-C book?

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (05/07/91)

What book should I get to learn Objective-C?  I plan on making
programs for the NeXT computer.

Thanks.

Jeff
--
jeffo@uiuc.edu

mgobbi@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.190554.2178@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jeffo@uiuc.edu writes:
>What book should I get to learn Objective-C?  I plan on making
>programs for the NeXT computer.
>
>Thanks.

I've been working on the NeXT for some time now and never bothered to buy
a book on objective-C programming.  I think if you are already understand
the fundamentals of object-oriented programming you can get by nicely just
using the on-line documentation that comes with the NeXT.

- Mike

--
The views presented here are not those of my friends, my university, or any
other organization.  They're mine.  Tomorrow even I may not want them.

Mike Gobbi (mgobbi@cs.ubc.ca on the internet)

In <1991May6.203835.15980@cs.ubc.ca> mgobbi@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) writes:

>I've been working on the NeXT for some time now and never bothered to buy
>a book on objective-C programming.  I think if you are already understand
>the fundamentals of object-oriented programming you can get by nicely just
>using the on-line documentation that comes with the NeXT.
>
>- Mike
>--
>
>Mike Gobbi (mgobbi@cs.ubc.ca on the internet)

But I don't already understand the fundamentals of object-oriented
programming.

Are there any books that give such information (as pertaining to
objective-C)?

Jeff
--
jeffo@uiuc.edu

objec-an@violet.berkeley.edu (;;;;NJ40) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.190554.2178@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> J.B. Nicholson writes:
> What book should I get to learn Objective-C?  I plan on making
> programs for the NeXT computer.

One approach would be to use the User Reference Manual for
Objective-C which is provided by Stepstone Corporation. You can
reach them at (203)426-1875.  I believe that there are some
differences though between Stepstone's Objective-C and the Next's.
In any case, Chapters 2, 3, 4, and part of 5 would me most
useful.

Raja

Raja Georges Pe'trakian
rgp@euler.Berkeley.EDU

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.224537.7341@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:

   But I don't already understand the fundamentals of object-oriented
   programming.

   Are there any books that give such information (as pertaining to
   objective-C)?

Brad Cox, the author of Objective C, has a book.  I forget the name.
You might try looking at the FAQ posting which is archived on
nova.cc.purdue.edu pub/next.  Tim Budd supposedly has a book that
mentions Objective C too.

-Mike

johnc@ms.uky.edu (John Coppinger) (05/07/91)

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:

>But I don't already understand the fundamentals of object-oriented
>programming.

>Are there any books that give such information (as pertaining to
>objective-C)?

>Jeff
>--
>jeffo@uiuc.edu

I would suggest these books for learning to program the NeXT:

Cox, Brad J., "Object Oriented Programming: An Evolutionary Approach"
ISBN 0-201-10393-1.  Good intro to Objective-C.

Webster, Bruce J., "The NeXT Book"  ISBN 0-201-15851-5  A few chapters
here are a good launching point into NeXTstep programming.

NeXT Technical Documentation: Ah, the meat of the matter.

Learning Smalltalk will help, too.  The extensions added to C to create
Objective-C were patterned after the Smalltalk model.  Master Smalltalk
and all other object-oriented systems are easy.

Hope this helps

--
-- John Coppinger                    "You'll find that your left cuff link  --
-- University of Kentucky             will be communicating with your right --

sakkinen@jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.224537.7341@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jeffo@uiuc.edu writes:
>In <1991May6.203835.15980@cs.ubc.ca> mgobbi@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) writes:
>
>>I've been working on the NeXT for some time now and never bothered to buy
>>a book on objective-C programming.  I think if you are already understand
>>the fundamentals of object-oriented programming you can get by nicely just
>>using the on-line documentation that comes with the NeXT.
>
>But I don't already understand the fundamentals of object-oriented
>programming.
>
>Are there any books that give such information (as pertaining to
>objective-C)?

Then I think the book for you is Timothy Budd's brand new
"An Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming" (Addison-Wesley).
It is exceptional among OOP textbooks in that it treats 4 different
languages rather equitably:  Smalltalk, Object Pascal, C++ _and_
Objective-C.  (Bias warning: having commented and discussed a lot
on the manuscript, I cannot be totally impartial about this book.)

For a book that describes Objective-C in greater detail, without
neglecting the basic principles of OOP, I think a new edition
of Brad Cox' classic (now with a second author) was rather recently
mentioned in this group.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
PL 35
SF-40351 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland
          SAKKINEN@FINJYU.bitnet (alternative network address)

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.190554.2178@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jeffo@uiuc.edu writes:
>What book should I get to learn Objective-C?  I plan on making
>programs for the NeXT computer.

The following book is scheduled to be released in May (or so I am
told; my local bookstore has it on order):

_Objective-C:  Object-Oriented Programming Techniques_ by Pinson
and Wiener (Addison-Wesley).  The catalog says that the book presents
basic concepts, an accurate description of Objective-C (both
Stepstone's and NeXT's) and illustrates programming in Objective-C
through examples.

Anyone seen this yet?
David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131

cmaeda@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Christopher Maeda) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.224537.7341@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:

>    But I don't already understand the fundamentals of object-oriented
>    programming.
>
>    Are there any books that give such information (as pertaining to
>    objective-C)?

You might also try reading a book on Smalltalk.  ObjC is a pretty generic
OO language, when you get right down to it.

--
Chris Maeda, Grad Student from Hell     |Mail:	cmaeda@cs.cmu.edu
  care bear				|UUCP:  get a real mailer

cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.010055.28142@agate.berkeley.edu> objec-an@violet.berkeley.edu (;;;;NJ40) writes:
>In article <1991May6.190554.2178@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> J.B. Nicholson writes:
>> What book should I get to learn Objective-C?  I plan on making
>> programs for the NeXT computer.

You might also want to consider "Object-oriented Programming; An Evolutionary
Approach", whichhas recently been released in softcover as a completelyll new
edition. Snappy new cover, too...

The new edition brings the book up to date with the language, the libraries,
and support tools.

Thanks to Andy Novabilski for doing most of the work. His name also appears
on this edition.

	Brad
--

Brad Cox; cox@stepstone.com; CI$ 71230,647; 203 426 1875
The Stepstone Corporation; 75 Glen Road; Sandy Hook CT 06482

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) (05/08/91)

In article <6868@stpstn.UUCP> cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) writes:
   >> What book should I get to learn Objective-C?
   You might also want to consider "Object-oriented Programming; An
   Evolutionary Approach", whichhas recently been released in
   softcover as a completelyll new edition. Snappy new cover, too...
   The new edition brings the book up to date with the language, the libraries,
   and support tools.

Hey. No bull!! I read most of the first edition and recommended the
book to several others who wanted to enter the OOP-never-never-land
(as in never-never-wanna-leave), and we all thought it was a very
gentle introduction.

So Brad, what's the ISBN # on the second edition? I've got my local
bookstore on the phone on hold now!!
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

sakkinen@jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.123651.25924@sjuphil.uucp> dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP (D. Carpenter) writes:
>The following book is scheduled to be released in May (or so I am
>told; my local bookstore has it on order):
>
>_Objective-C:  Object-Oriented Programming Techniques_ by Pinson
>and Wiener (Addison-Wesley).  The catalog says that the book presents
>basic concepts, an accurate description of Objective-C (both
>Stepstone's and NeXT's) and illustrates programming in Objective-C
>through examples.
>
>Anyone seen this yet?

No;  but let's hope that the authors have done an essentially better job
than with their C++ book.  Otherwise this one will not be a very valuable
addition to anyone's library.

markr@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (05/09/91)

> Brad Cox, the author of Objective C, has a book.  I forget the name.

It's called "Object Oriented Programming, an Evolutionary Approach", pub
Addison Wesley, about 1983 I think.  It has a reasonable general OO content
(as well as the Objective-C tutorial stuff), and says a lot about code reuse
through Cox's "Software IC" notion.

Mark

geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May6.190554.2178@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> J.B. Nicholson writes:
> What book should I get to learn Objective-C?  I plan on making
> programs for the NeXT computer.

Try also "Object-Oriented Software Construction " by Bertrand Meyer,
published by Prentice-Hall.

        Geoffrey S. Knauth                       geoff@bos.camex.com
    Camex, Inc., 75 Kneeland St.                 geoff%bos.camex@uunet.uu.net
Boston, MA 02111, (617) 426-3577 x451            --standard disclaimers--

mcintyre@cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) (05/10/91)

markr@and.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>> Brad Cox, the author of Objective C, has a book.  I forget the name.
>
>It's called "Object Oriented Programming, an Evolutionary Approach", pub
>Addison Wesley, about 1983 I think.  It has a reasonable general OO content
>(as well as the Objective-C tutorial stuff), and says a lot about code reuse
>through Cox's "Software IC" notion.

As Brad himself mentioned, there is a new edition of the book out.  I have
it, and am enjoying it.  It's nice to read the book without syntax from
the older days of Obj-C.

Here's the new citation:

@book{Cox90,
	title="Object--Oriented Programming : an Evolutionary Approach",
	author="B. J. Cox and A. J. Novobilski",
	year="1991",
	publisher="Addison-Wesley",
	address="Reading, MA",
	ISBN="0-201-54834-8"}