[comp.lang.objective-c] Stepstone have classes/objects for NeXTstep?

dlw@Atherton.COM (David Williams) (05/09/91)

So, does Stepstone sell any classes or IB pallettes for the NeXTstep
environment? Anyone have experience with them and pricing info.

David

thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R. Thomsen) (05/11/91)

David Williams writes
  So, does Stepstone sell any classes or IB pallettes for the NeXTstep
  environment? Anyone have experience with them and pricing info.

No. Stepstone does not sell their IC Packages on NeXT. The compiler
originated with Stepstone but has sort of been taken over by NeXT.
NeXT decided to do their own classes (NeXTstep, sound kit, etc.).
Stepstone decided to not pursue the platform with specific classes
for it alone and their more general packages would be redundant and
competitive with bundled software. This info comes from conversations
with Stepstone - we were interested in the same thing.

Mark R. Thomsen

dlw@Atherton.COM (David Williams) (05/14/91)

In article <282B0654.364F@deneva.sdd.trw.com>, thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark
R. Thomsen) writes:
>>David Williams writes
>>  So, does Stepstone sell any classes or IB pallettes for the NeXTstep
>>  environment? Anyone have experience with them and pricing info.

>No. Stepstone does not sell their IC Packages on NeXT. The compiler
>originated with Stepstone but has sort of been taken over by NeXT.
>NeXT decided to do their own classes (NeXTstep, sound kit, etc.).
>Stepstone decided to not pursue the platform with specific classes
>for it alone and their more general packages would be redundant and
>competitive with bundled software. This info comes from conversations
>with Stepstone - we were interested in the same thing.
>
>Mark R. Thomsen

Gee thats unfortunate, considering NeXT is the only hardware platform that
has Objective C as the centerpiece of their whole product. What would be
nice is if Stepstone would take the NeXT development that much further and
layer a visual design/programming version of Objective C. I mean why stop
at laying out the GUI via direct manipulation? Why not do the same for the
underlying messages & methods as well?

David

thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R. Thomsen) (05/18/91)

David Williams writes
  In article <282B0654.364F@deneva.sdd.trw.com>, thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark
  R. Thomsen) writes:
  <skip stuff>
  >No. Stepstone does not sell their IC Packages on NeXT.
  <skip more stuff>
  Gee thats unfortunate, considering NeXT is the only hardware platform that
  has Objective C as the centerpiece of their whole product. What would be
  nice is if Stepstone would take the NeXT development that much further and
  layer a visual design/programming version of Objective C. I mean why stop
  at laying out the GUI via direct manipulation? Why not do the same for the
  underlying messages & methods as well?

Yes, well Stepstone thinks this is unfortunate too.

Objective-C is a means to their ends since they want to make hay by building
and selling reusable components. A 'Software IC CAD' system makes some real
sense as a goal for them. I don't know if they are doing anything with this
but the guys I spoke with are smart enough that I would hazard they have
thought a lot about this. It smacks of visual programming (not a high
reputation field) but then graphical CAD to design a circuit one gate at a
time would have had a bad reputation if they were already at the 1 micron
densities in silicon land.

Oh, and NeXT has not really bought Objective-C hook, line, and sinker. It is
a means to their ends and, while it is heavily used, their new development
environment supports C++ as well. They are not going to fight the public
tides when that wastes energy relative to their goals. They are not out to
sell Objective-C platforms; just platforms.

Mark R. Thomsen