[misc.education] Engineering Education

mkg@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Mike Grasley) (07/26/90)

It's good to see that engineers are serious about a new newsgroup on
engineering education.  The shortage of engineers in Canada is more
sevre the in the states.  My universtiy (U of Waterloo) is trying to
help solve the problem.

The University of Waterloo takes a novel (at least here in Canada)
approach to engineering education, called the cooperative education
program.  Based on the belief that engineering is a practical
profession (i.e. you can learn the theories in school, but school
can't teach you to be an engineer), engineering is a five year
program comprised of 8 acedemic semesters and 6 work semesters.  On
a work semester students are hired by companies to work with
professional engineers on a variety of projects.  Most of the jobs give
a good exposure to what engineering is really like.  It seems to me this
is on way to alleviate the problem referred to by Russell Lawrence,
namely "We sometimes come out of school knowing how to use the book,...,
but we don't understand the physics behind the problem...In my work
area, a new hire is limited as to what s/he can accomplish on the job
until s/he has some sense of the way the thing that is in question
works."

By alternating acedemic and industry semesters, we are constantly
learning to apply what we have been taught in the classroom.
Addmittedly the work we can do as junior students is at a fairly low
level, but nonetheless it helps teach us to be engineers.

I have just completed a study of the last fifteen years of graduates from my
program (Systems Design Engineering) and the co-op program was one of
the things mentioned as most helpful (and beneficial) to their careers
as engineers.  Because many graduates wind up working for companies they
worked for as students, they are immediately able to deal with a wide
variety of tasks instead of needing to take a lot of time to become
familiar with the jobs at hand.  I think this advantage will become more
pronounced in the future as technology becomes more advanced and
specialized, which will make longer familiarization periods necessary
for newly graduated/hired engineers.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of engineers who came from
traditional programs as well as those with co-op backgrounds.  Do co-op
programs provide a better education?  Are they worth the extra year?
What are the alternatives that will help engineering students prepare
for reality?  Post replies if they are of general interest, any specific
questions or comments can be e-mailed to me.

All this is fine and dandy, but the co-op program can't benefit anyone
if enrollment in engineering programs continues to drop.  And this is
exactly what is happening.

In spite of the fact that total enrollment in Canadian universities has
reached a new peak every year for the last four years, enrollment in
engineering (and science) has declined every year since 1986.  My
feeling is that one of the prime reasons for this is an image problem.
Engineering simply doesn't have the appeal to young people that other
professions do.  Some of this may be due to parental influence--when was
the last time you heard a parent brag "My Johnny/Sally wants to become
an engineer when he/she grows up."?  This influence is particularily
harmful for females.  I think most educators agree that one of the prime
reasons so few females chose a career in a scientific/technological
field is that girls are encouraged to play with dolls while boys are
encouraged build with LEGO.  This is a gross over-simplification, but
you get the idea.

The following is taken from an article in the Iron Warrior (the Waterloo
engineering newspaper) written by Katherine Koszarny, VP of the student
engineering society.

	"Traditionally, engineering issues do not make the news.
	Every day, we hear about politicians, important officials
	and backbenchers alike.  Business sections [of newspapers]
	magazines and best-selling books highlight various
	entrepreneurs and executives, along with their achievements
	and ideas.  Parents encourage their children to be lawyers,
	doctors, dentists and accountants.  Engineering isn't
	regarded in the same manner."

What people fail to realise is how dependent society is on engineers.
Without engineers there would be no cars, no radios, no airplanes, no
bridges, no electricity, no ...  You get the point.  Modern society is
propped up by and very dependent on a highly technological
infrastructure.  This may or may not be good, but it is a fact.

Engineers are needed to maintain, improve, and expand this
infrastructure.  Various environmental groups point out the amount of
damage we have done to the earth in the name of technological progress.
I will admit that some of their points are valid, and I am willing to
accept my share of the blame.  But let's be realistic--the average
person is not willing to give up very many of their creature comforts in
order to make the earth a better place.  If we are going to stop
destroying the earth, environmentally friendly technologies (i.e.
better exhaust systems, alternatives to hydro-electric mega-projects)
must be developed.  Who is best able to provide these developments?
Engineers.

Obviously we need engineers.  But current projections in Canada (and the
U.S. as I understand it) predict a shortage of engineers throughout the
nineties.  There are two places we can get the engineers we need:
increased enrollment in engineering programs and immigration.

Increasing the number of engineers through immigration is a solution
with a number of problems.  One of them is the communication problem
referred to by Ronald Graham (NASA).  He states "The Government
continually states in its jobs descriptions that it is looking for
personnel with 'good oral and written communications skills.'"  The
findings of my study seem to provide further evidence of this
necessity--much of an engineer's time is spent communicating with other
people.  What good is a new idea if you can't explain it clearly?  New
immigrants may be great engineers, but they understandably need years to
develop good (English) communications skills.  A second problem is
attracting immigrant engineers.  As other developed countries (Japan,
Sweden, U.K., U.S.) begin to act on their own shortages of engineers, it
is becoming harder to entice foreign engineers into working here.  One
last problem with immigration as a solution is national pride.  I firmly
believe that we must be willing to solve out own problems.  I am a
Canadian engineer, and dammit, I'm proud of that fact.  I'm sure the
same is true of American engineers.

So the other alternative is increased enrollment in engineering programs
at universities.  This is a two step process.  First we must create a
positive public image.  We must be proud of what we are; we must let the
public know what we do; we must let them know how important we are to
society.  Secondly, we must encourage young people to get a solid
education in science and technology.  They must be encouraged from a
young age.  High school is too late--I have friends who dropped math
after grade nine.  But we must be careful not to paint engineering as
nothing but number crunching.  Engineering is more than just a science.
It is the art of taking science and applying it to reality.  Engineers
must have a solid background in the maths and sciences, but they must
also be creative.  As the advertisment for an exhibition on Leonardo da
Vinci said, "They called him a genius, a botanist, a demon, a
philosopher, a practical joker, an eccentric, and a visionary.  No
wonder he was such a great engineer."  Engineering is a challenging and
rewarding career; we just need to convince the general public of this.

The Faculty of Engineering at the University of Waterloo is planning to
do just that.  A proposal is being put together that would see
engineering students on their work semesters speak to local
elementary/high school students about engineering--the fascinating work,
the varied career possibilities, the rewards, etc.  The idea is that
young people relate best to young people, so the message is best heard
from engineering students.  And with students working all over the
country, we will have a national audience.

The program is still in the planning stages.  Any comments as to who our
target audience should be, what we should be telling them, etc. would be
appreciated.

The benefits of this initiative are years away.  But we must look at the
future as well as our short term needs.  If you are proud of being an
engineer, go back to your high school.  Encourage students to follow a
career in engineering.  There are more than 2.5 million working
engineers in North America.  With that many voices surely we can improve
our image and encourage young people to become engineers.

Mike Grasley (mkg@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca)

These opinions are mine.  They are not the opinions of my employer.  In
fact, my employer doesn't have any opinions cause the Canadian government
doesn't want to offend anyone.

nick@stca77.stc.oz (Nick Lochrin) (08/02/90)

In article <90Jul29.232640edt.8337@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu ("Timothy J. Horton") writes:
>[speculating on problems/fixes for engineering education]
>  mkg@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Mike Grasley) writes:

[ stuff deleted ]

>Well, the image has a number of things perfectly right.  Compare doctors and
>lawyers with engineers.

>>Parents encourage their children to be lawyers, doctors, dentists and
>>accountants.  Engineering isn't regarded in the same manner."

[ stuff deleted ]

>It is usually the case that the more you cost and less you give for it, the
>more people love and respect and value you.  I've learned this from work,
>my own and others (i.e. the more somebody pays you, the more they love you
>and listen to you and respect what you say).  My sister is a negotiator for
>our the Ontario government, and it is sad to hear the obvious contrasts
>between the ways the engineers negotiate and the way the lawyers and doctors
>do it.  The engineers just don't have the wherewithall.

[ stuff deleted ]

>>So the other alternative is increased enrollment in engineering programs
>>at universities.  This is a two step process.  First we must create a
>>positive public image.
>
>Unless you expect to have other than a superficial effect, you are going
>to have to reshape the underlying causes for the image.  People may be
>open to superficial manipulation, but is there ever going to be enough
>money for the ad campaigns to fool us all for very long?

[ stuff deleted ]

>doing better than their parents, etc.  These new kids want to assure their
>place in the social order, not follow pathes of excitement and intellectual
>exploration.

[ stuff deleted ]

Following the discussions on the engineering profession, I couldn't help
but notice the comparisions between engineers and "lawyers and doctors"
(which have been grouped together in the discussions).

To shed a little light on what the Australian perception of these
professions is, a recent survey (I can't remember the details but I'll
try and find out if anyone is interested) found that the public
perception was that lawyers were ranked just before car salesman in
(descending) order of the amount of trust and respect with which they
were generally regarded. This made the lawyers embark on a publicity
campaign to try and rectify this perception; their money probably
*won't* run out !! :-)

It is also a sad fact that there is a shortage of qualified engineers,
but I think the profession is not perceived in the same light as that of
the lawyers in this country. Does anyone know of other surveys ?

I believe that the survey interviewed people who were already in the
workforce, as a large percentage of students leaving high school that
get high marks seem to study law and medicine. I wonder how many think
that "I'll do medicine/law because I got the marks" ? As an example of
the "place in the social order" attitude, I happen to have
heard someone recently who after studying medicine for 6 years and
started working in a hospital, has now decided that it is not for them.
She thought that she might go back to uni and study law.....

spare the engineering profession from this !
--
Nick Lochrin                 nick@stca77.stc.oz
Alcatel STC Australia        ...!uunet!stca77.stc.oz!nick

tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu ("Timothy J. Horton") (08/09/90)

nick@stca77.stc.oz (Nick Lochrin) writes:
>[...] I couldn't help but notice the comparisions between engineers and
>"lawyers and doctors" [...]
>
>To shed a little light on what the Australian perception of these professions
>is, a recent survey [...] found that the public perception was that lawyers
>were ranked just before car salesman in (descending) order of the amount of
>trust and respect with which they were generally regarded.  This made the
>lawyers embark on a publicity campaign to try and rectify this perception;
>their money probably *won't* run out !! :-)

I have not come across this survey, but I know a similar survey recently found
that doctors were disliked by most people.  The doctors are bothered by this.
However, such issues of rating are NOT binary in a good/bad sense ; dislike
does NOT mean disrespect or distrust.  These things are not necessarily even
correlated.

Consider political leaders, for instance.  Suppose you and a lot of your friends
really liked your highschool janitor, but dislike Mikhail Gorbachev for some
reason.  No, suppose that you held a social event, and by some fluke of history
both these individuals showed up.  Compare how you think you would respond
and what would weight most heavily in your behavior and memory.  It seems that
liking somebody is quite separable from respecting them.  This, I think, is
strongly at work in our medical profession, and possibly the legal profession.
People may not trust lawyers, in all endeavors, and respect what lawyers do,
but I think they damn well respect the social position that lawyers assume.

The elements of the perceived status of a group can be hard to disentangle.