[net.travel] Edinburgh & Munich

boren@randvax.UUCP (Pat Boren) (06/03/85)

Planning on a European trip in September, and I'm hoping some of
you have recommendations on B&Bs or small hotels in Edinburgh
and Munich (yes, during Oktoberfest).

Also, I'd like information about traveling the Normandy coast.  I'll
have a Eurail, but I'd like to know if the trains go near the WWII
beaches and sites.  Are there bus tours from, say, Paris or Calais?
What's the best way to see this area?

Thanks for your help.  You may mail to me:
--

		Patricia Boren
		decvax!randvax!boren

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (06/11/85)

> Planning on a European trip in September, and I'm hoping some of
> you have recommendations on B&Bs or small hotels in Edinburgh
> and Munich (yes, during Oktoberfest).

While in Munich, be sure to spend a day or so at the Deutsche Museum.
It's the German national museum of science and technology, and in many
ways much more informative than our Smithsonian (which is more a collection
of scientific artifacts than a place to gain understanding of technology).

Bill Hery

debbiem@rruxe.UUCP (D. McBurnett) (06/12/85)

> Planning on a European trip in September, and I'm hoping some of
> you have recommendations on B&Bs or small hotels in Edinburgh
> and Munich (yes, during Oktoberfest).

The British Tourist Authority distributes a guide published by the
Automobile Association (AA), called "Guesthouses, Farmhouses and
Inns in Britain", which may be helpful to you.  BTA has an office
in New York City with a bookshop, at 40 West 57th St., on the 3rd
floor (zip 10019) where you should be able to get this and a lot
of other information.  (We have used this guide ourselves
successfully in Wales and England, though not in Scotland.  A
guesthouse is not exactly the same as a B&B, but often in the same
price range and frequently offers amenities a B&B won't have.)
The guide costs about $10.00 but can save you a fortune.  The
descriptions of places are very accuracte and up-to-date, and the
maps are excellent.  All the places mentioned are small and we
have never had a bad experience with any in Wales or England.

BTA also has a book called "Where to Stay in Scotland (Bed and
Breakfast)" for around $5.00, which we have not used, but if it
is of the same caliber as the rest of their publications, should
be helpful.  The telephone number of the BTA in NYC (at least
last year) is 212-581-4700.

I hope you are aware that this year the Edinburgh Military Tattoo
runs from AUGUST 9-31 (NOT SEPTEMBER).  I assume you intend to
attend the Braemar Royal Highland Gathering;  please be aware that
you must make reservations in advance (games date is September 7),
BY LETTER.  According to BTA's Events guide, "overseas payments not
in sterling must include equivalent of 75p to cover bank charges
plus return air postage".  The contact for reservations is:

	Mr. W. A Meston, Bookings Secretary
	Balcriech, Ballater, Aberdeenshire
	(Tel:  Braemar (033 83) 248)

If you have not already done so, you should write straight away.

I'd like to put in a plug for British inns -- try at least one
during your trip.  They are really delightful, and while some
are expensive, many are not.

One place I can recommend, though it is not a B&B, is Banchory
Lodge, in Banchory, situated on the River Dee, on the A93 between
Aberdeen and Braemar (~20 miles west of Aberdeen, ~40 miles east
of Braemar).  The site is lovely, and the lodge is most comfortable
and charming.  It is not cheap (unfortunately, I do not have current
rate information, but in 1980 the price of a single room was around
$22.50 and a double around $45.00 -- with inflation and the sinking
pound taken into account, I would guess the current rate is about
$30-40 for a single, $55-75 for a double) but we felt it was well
worth the money.  It is considered one of the best in its class
by AA, and we agree.  The service was very good, and the fresh fish
(caught in the Dee, frequently) was also very good.

Debbie McBurnett
rruxe!debbiem

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (06/12/85)

In article <4207@hlexa.UUCP> wjhe@hlexa.UUCP writes:
>While in Munich, be sure to spend a day or so at the Deutsche Museum.
>It's the German national museum of science and technology, and in many
>ways much more informative than our Smithsonian (which is more a collection
>of scientific artifacts than a place to gain understanding of technology).

My information is more than a decade out of date (~sigh~) but I  did  visit
visit the Deutsche Museum when I was in Munich.  Two points I remember:

	 1) All the placards explaining the displays are written in  German
            _only_.  If  you  don't  read  German  you'll  find some of the
            displays   meaningless   (eg:   demonstrations   of    chemical
            reactions).

	 2) The floors are all parquet, so don't wear rubber soled shoes if
            you  can  avoid it.  The squeaking as you walk along will annoy
            you as the atmosphere in the museum is rather like  that  of  a
            library  (quiet).  (I  found  this  a  pleasant contrast to the
            London Science Museum where the atmosphere is that of  a  noisy
            school yard).
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                          "How goes the rat race?"
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                 "The rats are winning."
Santa Monica, CA  90405                               -- Paul Lynde
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (06/19/85)

> In article <4207@hlexa.UUCP> wjhe@hlexa.UUCP writes:
> >While in Munich, be sure to spend a day or so at the Deutsche Museum.
> >It's the German national museum of science and technology, and in many
> >ways much more informative than our Smithsonian (which is more a collection
> >of scientific artifacts than a place to gain understanding of technology).
>
> My information is more than a decade out of date (~sigh~) but I  did  visit
> visit the Deutsche Museum when I was in Munich.  Two points I remember:
>
> 	 1) All the placards explaining the displays are written in  German
>             _only_.  If  you  don't  read  German  you'll  find some of the
>             displays   meaningless   (eg:   demonstrations   of    chemical
>             reactions).

As of 1982, the exhibit labels were multi-lingual, but the more detailed
explanations were only in German; the guide book can be purchased in
English.

Although I don't read German, I found that in many cases, the exhibits
were so well done that someone with a moderate understanding of
technology could understand the exhibit anyway (evolution of
automobile brakes, deepsea oil exploration, mining, bridge
construction).  I'm sure, however, that an undersanding of German
would have made it even better.  Go.

Bill Hery

tonjon@fluke.UUCP (Tony Johnson) (07/02/85)

> > In article <4207@hlexa.UUCP> wjhe@hlexa.UUCP writes:
> > >While in Munich, be sure to spend a day or so at the Deutsche Museum.
> > >It's the German national museum of science and technology, and in many
> > >ways much more informative than our Smithsonian (which is more a collection
> > >of scientific artifacts than a place to gain understanding of technology).

	ETC.

> As of 1982, the exhibit labels were multi-lingual, but the more detailed
> explanations were only in German; the guide book can be purchased in
> English.

	ETC.

> Bill Hery

	I was there last week and loved it even though I couldn't read 95% of
	the displays.  I've never been to the Smithsonian, so I couldn't really
	give you a comparison.

	If you like flight, it's wonderful even without english text.  They have
	an Messerschmitt (sp?) Me 163 and 262, and a full-scale cutaway model of
	a V2, an F104, power plants, flight suits, etc., etc....

	The electrical engineering section is concerned with power generation
	and transmission, so don't expect to see any micro electronics or
	computer stuff (although it looked like they were setting up a demon-
	stration of robotics using a mainframe mini and an industrial robot
	arm).  This is not to say it isn't worthwhile to see (especially if
	you're interested in seeing 1-2 foot sparks with a lot of smoke and
	noise).

	I LIKED IT!!!

					Tony Johnson
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.