[trial.rec.metalworking] Help with an OLD Craftsman lathe

jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) (05/31/90)

In article <8064@b11.ingr.com> allen@b11.ingr.com (John Allen) writes:
>I need help to identify an old Craftsman lathe:

this appears to be a metal lathe, so please forgive me if I am wrong:

>(From memory) The front bed is flat and the rear is tapered (for a point
>of referance).  It is approximately 36' long and has a clearance of 5'
>from the spindle to the bed.  The head is belt driven via three inter-

I assume that you mean 5" and 36", not 5' and 36'!
I know that some Craftsman lathes were really made by Atlas. Atlas had
a 10" belt driven lathe of about the same dimensions.

>The shaft rides in brass bushings and has a ball-trust bearing on the
>chuck end (bedside?).  The shaft is 3/4" in dia. threaded and carries
>a no.1 tappered hole.  On the out-bound side the shaft protudes about
>an inch, but bears no threads (stripped I suppose).

The spindle probably is not the original. For a lathe of this size, the
spindle would be threaded with about a 1-1/8 to 1-1/2" thread. The
"change wheel" side of the spindle would most likely have had a 20 to
40 tooth gear pressed on for leadscrew gearing. The bearings, by the
way, would most likely be bronze, and the morse taper would be a #2
or a #3 originaly.

>The lathe has no markings, I suspicion that it once had decals.  I
>have figured out (best guess) that it is a Sears because it has the
>3/4" shaft and no.1 taper they use.

??? on the shaft and taper. My old lathe (turn of the century) is 4-1/2"
center height, and the spindle is threaded 1"-10, w. a #2 morse taper.

>I know- even if I get a number their is no guaranty that parts are
>available.  But, even if your lathe only sounds similar, your part number
>might lead me to a shaft and bushings that are retrofitable.

damn right! :-(

>What parts do I need, you might ask?
>I am looking to get new bushings and a shaft for this unit.  I will be
>checking the machine shops in the area this week, but would like an
>alternative to "building" a shaft with the correct threading and # 1
>taper.  After all I could likely replace the entire lathe for $100.00

You will find that the replacement spindle is going to be more than that
either way; pre-made or machine shop made.

What's the matter with the spindle, BTW?

If the lathe is in good shape other than that, build a new spindle.
Not only would it be a good project, but it would be cheap, too.

If you wish to go further:

1) building a simple lathe, by Dave Gingery. Lindsay Publishing, see
   the back of a popular science or mail me for the address.

2) Blue Ridge machine tools in Hurricane, West Virginia(?) carries some
   atlas parts. Ditto for the address.

Other books, such as "Machine Tool Reconditioning" from Lindsay Pubs.

Good Luck;

John Stewart.
jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca