[trial.rec.metalworking] Looking for SCA in Austin, Tx.

jerry@walt.cc.utexas.edu (07/15/90)

I'm look for a SCA group in the Austin area.  I suspect that there is
such, and am interested in joining.  One thing I haven't heard, that is
what does it cost to join(i.e. membership fee), I realize that armor for
SCA combat, and costumes, and other period interests would be something
that you would have to tend to yourself.

I'm also interested in discusing Sword and Armor making, specifically
period items.  I'm not considering using only period tools(I gasp at the
thought!), but the end product should be identical to one made in a period
fashion.  I'm also still trying to find an anvil for my forge.  Rail road
track works, but it is not really wide enough for some things.  If anyone
within 100 miles of Austin has one they by chance want to unload, let me
know...(I've checked on new ones, i.e. $72 for a new 25 pounder, that
I'm pretty sure would be way to small.  I've already spent quite a lot
on just getting my forge working.  I still haven't figured out how to
keep the ash from clogging my air intakes.  I',m thinking about making
a modified version, that uses a bar bee q grill(grill) for a grating,
then putting lava rocks(pumic) on top to help keep the heat down, and
putting my charcoal on top of that.  I'm a bit worried that the grill
might sag and metal under the heat(not much weight on it, but a lot of
heat).  Anyone know where to get charcoal logs?  All I can find is the
stuff for the outdoor grills, and I think large pieces might work better.
Anyone out there even doing this kind of work?

From: jerry@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jerry Porter)
Newsgroups: rec.org.sca,trial.metalworking
Subject: Looking for SCA in Austin, Tx.
Expires: