[trial.rec.metalworking] Blacksmithing in safety

daveu@sco.COM (Dave Uebele) (08/14/90)

In my continual quest for the ultimate portable forge, I've been thinking
of trying to set up a canvas awning both for shade and keep the forge
area a little darker so I can see the color in the steel.

Spreading canvas over a forge makes me a little nervous though.  I
remember seeing some information about soaking cloth in some solution to
make it fire resistant but I don't remember what. All that comes to mind is
a boric acid solution. Is this correct or is there some other way to
get fabric to not look high tech but not be a huge firehazard either?

Any sourced for canvas awnings would be appreciated as well.
thanks in advance
dave
--
Dave Uebele	uunet!sco!daveu  or daveu@sco.com

timsmith@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Smith) (08/28/90)

In article <7450@scolex.sco.COM> daveu@sco.COM (Dave Uebele) writes:
>I remember seeing some information about soaking cloth in some solution to
>make it fire resistant but I don't remember what. All that comes to mind is
>a boric acid solution. Is this correct or is there some other way to
>get fabric to not look high tech but not be a huge firehazard either?

From _The_Formula_Manual_ by Norman H. Stark [Stark Research Corp.,
Cedarburg, Wisconsin, 53012], p. 8-9:

Fireproofing Textiles
Ingredients:  1.  Ammonium Phosphate   1/2 cup
	      2.  Ammonium Chloride      1 cup
	      3.  Water                  3 pints
Mixing:  Stir 1 and 2 into 3.
Use:  Soak cloth in solution for a few minutes, wring out and hang up
to dry.  Cloth must be retreated after each exposure to water.

Fireproofing Synthetic Fabrics
Ingredients:  1.  Boric Acid   1 cup
	      2.  Water        1 gal
Mixing:  Dissolve 1 into 2.
Use:  Soak fabric in mixture, wring out and hang up to dry.  Retreat
fabric after each laundering. This may be done by adding 1 to the final
rinse cycle of the washing machine.

Good luck, and keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case!

--  Tim Smith      timsmith@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil