[trial.rec.metalworking] Parallel jaw pliers

stuart@rennet.cs.wisc.edu (Stuart Friedberg) (10/12/90)

I have been looking for a particular tool for YEARS and can no longer
find one.  I'd be very grateful if someone out there could help me
out.

I'm looking for parallel jaw pliers.  The pairs I have had are the same
general size and heft as lineman's pliers, but the jaws remain parallel
through the action of an X-shaped linkage.  At least one pair I've had
in the past had a wire cutter mounted on the outside of one jaw, that
worked like a large diagonal cutter, only with the cutting edges at
right angles to the long axis of the pliers, instead of in-line.

The last time I saw these in a catalog (and I have a LOT of tool and
industrial supply catalogs) was about 5 years ago and I foolishly
decided not to buy a pair then.  Bad mistake!  I think the name of the
maker I saw began with the letter 'B'.  Belsen, perhaps???

So, does anyone recognize this, know its proper name, and most
importantly, know of a SOURCE?  Any information would be greatly
appreciated.

Stu Friedberg  (stuart@cs.wisc.edu)  608-238-3894

needham@xn.ll.mit.edu (jim needham) (10/12/90)

In article <11443@spool.cs.wisc.edu> stuart@rennet.cs.wisc.edu (Stuart Friedberg) writes:
>I have been looking for a particular tool for YEARS and can no longer
>find one.  I'd be very grateful if someone out there could help me
>out.
>
>I'm looking for parallel jaw pliers.  The pairs I have had are the same
>general size and heft as lineman's pliers, but the jaws remain parallel
>through the action of an X-shaped linkage.  At least one pair I've had
>.....stuff deleted.......
>Stu Friedberg  (stuart@cs.wisc.edu)  608-238-3894

Hi Stu,

I was begining to think that this group was dead...

I use to have a pair of those, but havent seen them in years.

Do you or anyone else know what they were used for ?  Sometimes knowing
the trade that used them will help in finding them.  This applies to
any tools.

I find that tools that are made for a paticlar trade often are very
useful in another.

What do you do, if I may ask, and what do you use the parallel jaws
for ?

Jim Needham    617 981-2535    0600-1400 East Coast Time

denniss@kodak.kodak.com (Dennis Schrieber) (10/12/90)

In article <11443@spool.cs.wisc.edu> stuart@rennet.cs.wisc.edu (Stuart Friedberg) writes:
>I'm looking for parallel jaw pliers.  The pairs I have had are the same
>general size and heft as lineman's pliers, but the jaws remain parallel
>through the action of an X-shaped linkage.  At least one pair I've had
>in the past had a wire cutter mounted on the outside of one jaw, that
>worked like a large diagonal cutter, only with the cutting edges at
>right angles to the long axis of the pliers, instead of in-line.
>appreciated.

I just order 2 pair of these yesterday.
The pliers that you are looking for are commonly found in hunting & fishing catalogs.
I use them as a pistol smithing tool to cut springs. They are made by at least 2 companies that I
know of: one is Sargents ant the other is Jonny Walker Inc. Brownells (Route 2 Box 1, Montezuma,
Iowa 50171 (515) 623-5401) has them in there catalog in 2 sizes. Hint: you will probably find them
at a better price from 1 of the outfitters such as Gander Mountain, etc.. If you have a problem	send me a email and I'll get you a pair through my distributor.
--
| Eastman Kodak Co.                      |  Dennis L. Schrieber      |
| Engineering Systems Division           |  denniss@kodak.UUCP       |

danr@crash.cts.com (Dan Rubesh) (10/15/90)

In article <11443@spool.cs.wisc.edu> stuart@rennet.cs.wisc.edu (Stuart Friedberg) writes:
>I have been looking for a particular tool for YEARS and can no longer
>find one.  I'd be very grateful if someone out there could help me
>out.
>
>I'm looking for parallel jaw pliers.  The pairs I have had are the same

[stuff deleted]

The pliers you're looking for can be also obtained from McMaster-Carr,
with and without cutters, lengths from 4.5 - 8 inches, prices from
about $12 - $32.. (The MM-C catalog I have here is about a year old so
prices may be a bit higher..)   L.A. # is (213) 692-5911, Chicago # is
(708) 833-0300, N.J. # is (201) 329-3200.. E-mail me if you want more
info, stock numbers, etc.. You can find almost _anything_ in the
McMaster-Carr catalog.. :-)
--

Dan Rubesh		UUCP: {nosc, ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!danr
			ARPA: crash!danr@nosc.mil

legowik@cme.nist.gov (Steven Legowik) (10/15/90)

>What do you do, if I may ask, and what do you use the parallel jaws
>for ?
>
>Jim Needham    617 981-2535    0600-1400 East Coast Time

I have seen a number of parallel jaw pliers in jeweler's supply
catalogs.  They are used quite a bit in jewelry construction.  I don't
know if they are quite as hefty as the ones you describe.
--
	Steven Legowik
	Bldg. 220, Rm. A362, Gaithersburg, MD

zursch@sgi.com (Kid Redshift) (10/16/90)

In article <11443@spool.cs.wisc.edu> stuart@rennet.cs.wisc.edu (Stuart Friedberg) writes:

>The last time I saw these in a catalog (and I have a LOT of tool and
>industrial supply catalogs) was about 5 years ago and I foolishly
>decided not to buy a pair then.  Bad mistake!  I think the name of the
>maker I saw began with the letter 'B'.  Belsen, perhaps???
>
>So, does anyone recognize this, know its proper name, and most
>importantly, know of a SOURCE?  Any information would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Stu Friedberg  (stuart@cs.wisc.edu)  608-238-3894

I think you mean Belzer tools.

(Great tools, btw)

JZ

--
 	    If you're ever going to stand on it, stand on it now.
		Because the older you get, the slower you go.