[trial.rec.metalworking] inexpensive machineing

pollack@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) (01/08/91)

FYI, Taig Tools (818 333 8812) advertises its 4" metal lathe,
apparently without a motor, in Home Shop Machinist for $215, "many
additional accessories available" And if someone would describe the
operations and limitations of their unimat in greater detail, and the
humor about accessories, I would appreciate it.  Is is sort of like an
HP printer without font cartridges, or a router without bits?

Doug writes:
>I'm interested in inexpensive ways of doing
>relatively precise machining.

An "Incrajig" ($35 at fine woodworking stores) on a drill press or
even a bandsaw will allow very precise repeatable positioning.  It
just doesnt slide.

Also, should we post rather than email to generate the
bandwidth needed to remove "trial" status?

--
Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research