[net.travel] Cape Hatteras

RBD@psuvm.BITNET (06/21/85)

Planning a vacation in the fall. I've heard some good things from people
about Cape Hatteras and the Carolina coast in general. Does anybody have
any info? I understand Nags Head is a fairly well developed resort but
things get very remote farther down the cape. Are there rentable cottages,
beachouses, whatever, is camping allowed?

If anybody has good things to say about other places of this flavor I'd
be glad to hear them. Hatteras is just an idea, it sounds like what I want
but I'm open minded.

Larry Riffle

RBD at PSUVM (BITNET)

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (06/24/85)

In article <1877RBD@psuvm> RBD@psuvm.BITNET writes:
>Planning a vacation in the fall. I've heard some good things from people
>about Cape Hatteras and the Carolina coast in general. Does anybody have
>any info? I understand Nags Head is a fairly well developed resort but
>things get very remote farther down the cape. Are there rentable cottages,
>beachouses, whatever, is camping allowed?

My wife and I are big fans of the outer banks of North Carolina, having
managed several vacations in that area over the past 6 years.  Nags Head
is indeed a well built up tourist area, but the beaches to the north of
it (Duck, etc.) are fairly untrammeled with many nice beachouses for rent.
You are well advised to get in touch with one of the local realty companies
and make reservations well in advance.  They have catalogs of what is
available that they will send you.  It is usually best to have 6 or 8
people sharing (these are LARGE houses.)

Hatteras and surroundings are well south of Nags Head.  If you are going
that far, for my money I'd go on to Okracoke which is only reachable by
ferry.   There are a number of small houses for rent there and, of course,
a few hotels.  There's not much to *do* there, but for that sort of
vacation you don't want much to do.

Be warned, you may need your Deep Woods OFF! anywhere on the Outer Banks
during certain times of year.  There are limits to what mosquito control
can do.

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

mej@hlwpc.UUCP (Michael Jacobs) (07/04/85)

> Be warned, you may need your Deep Woods OFF! anywhere on the Outer Banks
> during certain times of year.  There are limits to what mosquito control
> can do.
>

> --
>
> 						Byron C. Howes
> 				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

What is the "safe" season?
What is the weather like during that season?
.

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (07/05/85)

In article <569@hlwpc.UUCP> mej@hlwpc.UUCP (Michael Jacobs) writes:

>> Be warned, you may need your Deep Woods OFF! anywhere on the Outer Banks
>> during certain times of year.  There are limits to what mosquito control
>> can do.
>>
>What is the "safe" season?
>What is the weather like during that season?

The 'safe' season is (roughly) October through June.  The weather is
generally excellent in May and June.  October and November are passable,
though a bit cool.  Hatteras tends to be a bit stormy in September and
October.