[trial.rec.metalworking] 440 stainless

snorthc@pokey.nswc.navy.mil (Stephen Northcutt) (01/24/91)

I am confused about various steels used for making knives and
other edged devices.  Various knives claim to be 400 or more
often 440 series stainless steel.  Then there is AUS something

If anyone could share info on the characteristics of these steels
I would appreciate it.  I do understand that the temper process
is also important in creating the final product.

Thank you.
Stephen Northcutt (snorthc@relay.nswc.navy.mil)     News Admin
Work: (703) 663-7745                                Network Guy
Home: (703) 371-4184                                OSI (ouch) Prototypes
Paper Mail: Code E41, NSWC, Dahlgren VA 22448       Parallel Research

ronk@sdd.hp.com (Ron Kaplan) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan24.150348.722@relay.nswc.navy.mil> snorthc@pokey.nswc.navy.mil (Stephen Northcutt) writes:
>I am confused about various steels used for making knives and
>other edged devices.  Various knives claim to be 400 or more
>often 440 series stainless steel.  Then there is AUS something
>
>If anyone could share info on the characteristics of these steels
>I would appreciate it.  I do understand that the temper process
>is also important in creating the final product.
>
>Thank you.

There are three main types of stainless steels: Austenitic, Martensitic
and Ferritic.  The 200 and 300 series stainless steels are generally Austenitic.
The common Martensitic stainless steels are 440A, 440B, 440C, 416 and 431.
The common Ferritic stainless steels are 405, 430 and 446.  Each of these
families of stainless steels are characterized by a similarity in the alloying
elements that are used in thier design.  Austenitic stainless steels typically
have from 16 - 26% Chromium and 3 - 22% Nickel.  Martensitic stainless steels
typically have 4 - 18% Chromium but very little if any Nickel.  Ferritic
stainless steels are typically ones that are low in carbon content.

The main attribute of a Martensitic stainless steel such as a 440C that is
used in knives is that it is heat treatable to create a very hard material.
The tempering process generally adds toughness to the material so that the
hard edge can hold up.

Ron Kaplan
HP San Diego Site

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan30.220322.3686@sdd.hp.com>, ronk@sdd.hp.com (Ron Kaplan)
writes:
> The main attribute of a Martensitic stainless steel such as a 440C that is
> used in knives is that it is heat treatable to create a very hard material.

440C is probably my favorite stainless steel.  It won't take an edge quite
as well as a really good tool steel, but it's not bad, it doesn't rust,
and it can be very easily heat-treated (you can air-temper it).  It's
slightly more brittle than an equivalent tool steel, but not enough to
worry about for most uses.  It's also generally quite easy to find.

Great for knives or tools that you are going to use a lot, or are
going to be used by people who don't think about things like rust and
fingerprints :).

For "show pieces," though, nothing beats a traditional high carbon tool
steel for the ability to take a realy sharp edge.  You just have to
treat the blade very carefully, especially if you've given it a high
polish.

--
Amanda Walker
Visix Software Inc.