[trial.rec.metalworking] Remove solder from brass/copper?

okunewck@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Phil OKunewick) (02/15/91)

   Hi.  Me again, still reconditioning carbide lamps.

   Does anybody know of a good way to remove excess solder from a
joint on copper or brass, other than massive polishing?  i.e. is there
an acid or catalyst that will remove solder without bothering brass?

   I usually remove all the molten solder I can with a wire brush, but
that leaves the area solder-plated.  I can polish it off, but
polishing removes more brass than I'd like.  (Stamped-in lettering
completely disappeared by the time the solder was gone.)

denniss@kodak.kodak.com (Dennis Schrieber) (02/15/91)

In article <rnaG5b7n@cs.psu.edu> okunewck@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Phil OKunewick) writes:

>   Hi.  Me again, still reconditioning carbide lamps.
>
>   Does anybody know of a good way to remove excess solder from a
>joint on copper or brass, other than massive polishing?  i.e. is there
>an acid or catalyst that will remove solder without bothering brass?

Its probably best to avoid letting the solder stick in the first place. Try using
soldering talc. Its applied like a crayon and washes off with soap and water.
Solder will not stick to a surface coated with it. I get my supply from:

Brownells, Inc.
Route 2 box 1
Montezuma, Iowa
           50171
(515) 623-5401

The last time I ordered some it was about $2.50 for 12 sticks. Works good
with silver solder too.

                               dennis
--
| Eastman Kodak Co.                      |  Dennis L. Schrieber      |
| Engineering Systems Division           |  denniss@kodak.UUCP       |