[trial.rec.metalworking] Makita Cordless Saw

desmitt@kodak.kodak.com (Steven De Smitt) (02/20/91)

Does anyone have any experience with a  Makita
cordless saw, model 5090D/DW, 3-3/8 inch?  I'd
appreciate any information you have. Thanks in
advance.
--
Steven De Smitt          |Eastman Kodak Company   |
desmitt@newpds.kodak.com |Research Labs           |

paul@ee.rochester.edu (Paul Osborne) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.165428.29882@kodak.kodak.com> desmitt@kodak.kodak.com (Steven De Smitt) writes:

>Does anyone have any experience with a  Makita
>cordless saw, model 5090D/DW, 3-3/8 inch?  I'd
>appreciate any information you have. Thanks in
>advance.
>--
>Steven De Smitt          |Eastman Kodak Company   |
>desmitt@newpds.kodak.com |Research Labs           |
>FAX (716) 588-7075       |MC 01722, Bldg 59       |
>Tel (716) 722-9263       |Rochester, NY 14650-1722|

Steve, They are good for trimming and with a sharp blade only. In long cuts
they tend to run out of steam, and cutting thick material if the batteries
are low they will stall.

paul

rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com (Robert L. Haar CS50) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.211706.20578@ee.rochester.edu>,
paul@ee.rochester.edu (Paul Osborne) writes:
|> In article <1991Feb19.165428.29882@kodak.kodak.com>
desmitt@kodak.kodak.com (Steven De Smitt) writes:

|> >Does anyone have any experience with a  Makita
|> >cordless saw, model 5090D/DW, 3-3/8 inch?  I'd
|> >appreciate any information you have. Thanks in
|> >advance.
|> >--
|> >Steven De Smitt          |Eastman Kodak Company   |
|> >desmitt@newpds.kodak.com |Research Labs           |
|> >FAX (716) 588-7075       |MC 01722, Bldg 59       |
|> >Tel (716) 722-9263       |Rochester, NY 14650-1722|

|> Steve, They are good for trimming and with a sharp blade only. In long cuts
|> they tend to run out of steam, and cutting thick material if the batteries
|> are low they will stall.

Ditto. They can be useful for trim cutting in awkward situations. I have
used mine when making adjustment trim cuts while installing replacement
windows on the second floor of our house. It was useful to have
something lightweight and without an electric cord.

However, the batteries run out REAL fast. If you are doing much cutting,
you need an extra battery set that you keep on the charger.

If I had it to do again, I would not buy it. I would use one of
the small (4 1/2" or 5") corded circular saws.

	Bob Haar  InterNet : rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.