[trial.rec.metalworking] titanium/steel alloy

snorthc@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Stephen Northcutt) (04/10/91)

A poster on rec.martial-arts commented that swords superior to
the folded steel japanese swords could be created with today's
superior alloys, spec. a titanium steel alloy.

Are there any edged metal products available that use such technology?
Has anyone worked such an alloy from barstock?

** I support the High Performance Computing Act of 1991 (S-272) **

Stephen Northcutt (snorthc@relay.nswc.navy.mil)     News Admin

david@talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.112623.15533@relay.nswc.navy.mil> snorthc@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Stephen Northcutt) writes:
>A poster on rec.martial-arts commented that swords superior to
>the folded steel japanese swords could be created with today's
>superior alloys, spec. a titanium steel alloy.

I don't know the specific alloys but I do know that some of the modern
metals can be made into swords that are better then the old japanese
swords.  While the matarial is important the manufacturing process is
even more important.  The best knives I have ever seen where hand forged
out of modern metals.   This is very tedious work.  The really good
blade smiths that I know get about $100 an inch for thier hand forged
knives.  I have know idea what they would charge for a sword but I know
it would be REAL expenseve.

>Are there any edged metal products available that use such technology?
>Has anyone worked such an alloy from barstock?

A couple of weeks ago I went to a workshop on knife making.  There where
7 differant blade smiths deminstrating and lecturing.  They recommeded
good spring steel for the best blades.  They all said that truck and
car leaf springs where a good source of steel.  Some of them also made
blades out of several differant steels (with differant alloys) forged
welded together and folded several times.  This makes for a very strong
blade with a very pretty surface patern.  It was very impressive to
watch.  I wish I could forge weld half as well as these guys did.

Other good sources of good steel are old files, car/truck axles, rail
road spikes, wire rope (need to be good at forge welding).

David Hoopes                              Tallgrass Technologies Inc.
uunet!talgras!david                       11100 W 82nd St.
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214