[trial.rec.metalworking] Forges

tac10@isuvax.iastate.edu (Set) (04/23/91)

As there is nothing currently in the group, I wil post this in the
hope that I understand the gist of its title.

	I am interested in what anyone might have to say about
forges, especially gas forges. I am in the process of attempting
the construction of a gas forge detailed in Blade magazine
(dec. 1990). As my interests mainly focus on patterm welded
steel, I have hopes that a gas forge will reduce oxidation
and facilite welds.
	I would also appreciate information about blacksmithing
equipement in the midwest area.

Paul T.

mspencer@ac.dal.ca (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr23.032100.26901@news.iastate.edu>,
            tac10@isuvax.iastate.edu (Set) writes:

> ........... As my interests mainly focus on patterm welded
> steel, I have hopes that a gas forge will reduce oxidation
> and facilite welds.

Reduce oxidation, reduce cinders & garbage inclusions, reduce sulfur
in the welds.  There's a special flux for doing welding in a gas forge.
Also noisy & expensive, but a lot of the pattern-welded guys say it's
very much worth it.

> 	I would also appreciate information about blacksmithing
> equipement in the midwest area.

I've got some info on floppy somewhere.  I'll post it in a few days.
---
mspencer@ac.dal.ca          |  Only two blacksmiths ever went to Hell:
mspencer@athena.mit.edu     |     One for beating cold iron, and
mspemcer@quasar.sba.dal.ca  |     One for charging too little.

wdr@wang.com (William Ricker) (04/25/91)

This is charcoal, not gas, but...

Years ago I saw plans for a (char?)coal forge that used a discarded
automobile Wheel and an old electrolux vacuum in Blow mode, with the
other end of the hose attached to the obvious spot -- the axle hole
of the wheel-cum-brazier.  I've never built it, but have considered
it occasionally.  I think I'd want an old enough wheel that I knew
it was real steel!     You could probably subsitute your shop vac.
Someday, maybe, when I run out of other hobbies...

--
/s/ Bill Ricker                wdr@wang.wang.com
"The Freedom of the Press belongs to those who own one."

david@talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr23.032100.26901@news.iastate.edu> tac10@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>As there is nothing currently in the group, I wil post this in the
>hope that I understand the gist of its title.
>
>	I am interested in what anyone might have to say about
>forges, especially gas forges. I am in the process of attempting
>the construction of a gas forge detailed in Blade magazine
>(dec. 1990). As my interests mainly focus on patterm welded
>steel, I have hopes that a gas forge will reduce oxidation
>and facilite welds.

I went to a workshop on knofemaking a couple of weeks ago.  One of the
smiths brought his home made gas forge.  I was impressed.  They where able
to make hugh welds on all kinds of steel.  I have the plans for it if
you would like a copy mail me you address and I will send you one.

>	I would also appreciate information about blacksmithing
>equipement in the midwest area.

The only place that I know of to get new equipment is Centaur forge ltd.
P.O. Box 340, 117 N. Spring St.  Burlington, wis 53105, Phone (414)
763-9175.  Call them and ask for a cataloge.  I have ordered a few things
from them and am happy with what I got.  Be forwarned they are not cheap.
If you don't feel like building your own forge they have a coulpe of gas
(and coal, and electric) forges listed.

Another source for buying or trading equipment is if you have a local
blacksmiths Assoc.  I belong to the Blacksmiths Assoc. of Missouri (BAM)
and have gotten a lot of useful info from them.  A group closer to you
might be the Great Plains Blacksmith Association.  You can write to them at
P.O. Box 17613,  Wichita Ks,  67217-0613.

Good luck on your knife making.  I am currently working on my first.  Most
of what I do is wagon and carriage restoreation.

David Hoopes                              Tallgrass Technologies Inc.
uunet!talgras!david                       11100 W 82nd St.
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214