[trial.rec.metalworking] let's try this again

fireflyte@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (05/21/91)

I apologise if a garbled message from me precedes this, but I am having trouble
with this editor, and I do not know if it is eating my words.

My basic question is "What is the purpose of this group?" ...I have had an
interest in metalworking for awhile, and would be interested in any info.
anyone could give me, whether it deals with working properties of different
metals, techniques, tools, whatever... I am a college student, and cannot
afford my own forge, but I can gain access to one through the SCA (Society
for Creative Anachronism) chapter in our area...

Thanks in advance!
Shauna Iannone
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL

leburg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Pierson) (05/22/91)

In article <28638@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> FIREFLYTE%oak.decnet@Pine.circa.ufl.edu writes:
>My basic question is "What is the purpose of this group?" ...I have had an
>interest in metalworking for awhile, and would be interested in any info.
>anyone could give me, whether it deals with working properties of different
>metals, techniques, tools, whatever...

>Thanks in advance!
>Shauna Iannone
>University of Florida
>Gainesville, FL

Shauna,

	I have followed this group since it started and to answer your
question .. Yes to all of the above. It seems like any question involving
metal can be asked here. We have had questions ranging from forgeing to name
that antique tool. If you would like, drop me a note and I will send you a
collected set of notes. trimmed but most of them.

Brian Pierson

buchholz@noao.edu (Nick Buchholz) (05/22/91)

From article <28638@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by fireflyte@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU:
> interest in metalworking for awhile, and would be interested in any info.
> anyone could give me, whether it deals with working properties of different
> metals, techniques, tools, whatever... I am a college student, and cannot
There are several books available on the various aspects of metal
working.  A great deal depends on the type of thing you want to do.  the
tools and techniques vary greatly from iron to brass to bronze to gold.

"The Compleat Blacksmith" is excellent for iron work.  Cellini's
Treatises are wonderfull for silver and gold work.  I've yet to find a
good discussion of copper alloy working.

> afford my own forge, but I can gain access to one through the SCA (Society
> for Creative Anachronism) chapter in our area...
Talk to the Scadians and see if any of them will lend you their copies
of "The Hammer"  The middle Kingdoms Metalworker's Guild Newsletter it
has a lot of excellent ideas.

> Thanks in advance!
> Shauna Iannone
> University of Florida
> Gainesville, FL

Nick C. Buchholz
buchholz@yogi.tuc.noao.edu      | "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime doubly so"
                                |                            - Ford Prefect
Time is an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space.

tac10@isuvax.iastate.edu (Set) (05/25/91)

In article <12622@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, leburg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Pierson) writes:
>	I have followed this group since it started and to answer your
>question .. Yes to all of the above. It seems like any question involving
>metal can be asked here. We have had questions ranging from forgeing to name
>that antique tool. If you would like, drop me a note and I will send you a
>collected set of notes. trimmed but most of them.
>
>Brian Pierson

	I have followed this group scince it first appeared on my
server.I have only received nine posts (my gas forge questions,
the responses thereto, and a multiplicity of requests as to the
purpose of the group). Am I missing something? Send me notes.
	I would also like to thank Mr. Hoopes for the info he sent me.
I have just aquired two coal forges, and am building a gas forge
with a friend. Has anyone out there worked with traditional
mokume-gane of copper alloys? What would be a good source for the
different copper alloys? Also, what should I pay for a good anvil.
New? Used?
	Also, although I acknowledge the existance of many fine metal
working texts, I would reccomend as a general guide Jewelry:
Contemporary Design and Technique, by Chuck Evans. It emphasises
different materials and exiting new options (for those who are not
sponsored by the Tsar, and provided with gold and precious stones)

Set the Destroyer.

david@talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May25.050058.22471@news.iastate.edu> tac10@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:

>	I would also like to thank Mr. Hoopes for the info he sent me.
>I have just aquired two coal forges, and am building a gas forge
>with a friend.

let us know if you have any problems building the gas forge.  As soon
as I can clean out a spot in the garage I will be building one.

David Hoopes                              Tallgrass Technologies Inc.
uunet!talgras!david                       11100 W 82nd St.
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214