[trial.rec.metalworking] New forge - let's see what happens

wolf@netcom.COM (Buckskin Tech.) (05/29/91)

Well, my friend Boots and I just finished building a coal forge for an
upcoming Renaissance Faire.  As this will be an "historically accurate"
demonstration of 'smithing in the late 1500's, it might not have much
intersection with this group, but I'd be interested in hearing comments
suggestions (please!), warnings (this *is* an outdoor forge, with thousands
of people and huge oaks around, so we're being _EXTRA_-careful), and
anything else from you folks out there.

 - Wolf

PS:  Anyone have a copy of _De Re Metallica_?  Found a reprint in a bookstore
once and didn't buy it, now I wish I had.

david@talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.223635.20508@netcom.COM> wolf@netcom.COM (Buckskin Tech.) writes:
>Well, my friend Boots and I just finished building a coal forge for an
>upcoming Renaissance Faire.  As this will be an "historically accurate"
>demonstration of 'smithing in the late 1500's, it might not have much
>intersection with this group, but I'd be interested in hearing comments
>suggestions (please!), warnings (this *is* an outdoor forge, with thousands
>of people and huge oaks around, so we're being _EXTRA_-careful), and
>anything else from you folks out there.
>
> - Wolf
>
>PS:  Anyone have a copy of _De Re Metallica_?  Found a reprint in a bookstore
>once and didn't buy it, now I wish I had.

Make sure that you have something to keep the wind away from the fire.  Even
a slight breeze will suck a lot of the heat away.  It doesn't take much.  I
keep a row of bricks to move to the side that the wind is coming from.  Once
you have your work up to tempature be ready to work fast.  It will cool very
quickly.

If you have never worked in front of a crowd before be carefull not to burn
up the work while you are talking.  (I have done this several times)  If
you have two smiths, teach yourselves to let the one that is not working
at the moment do the talking..

Sounds like fun.  Where is the faire?

David Hoopes                              Tallgrass Technologies Inc.
uunet!talgras!david                       11100 W 82nd St.
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214

mspencer@ac.dal.ca (05/31/91)

In article <1991May28.223635.20508@netcom.COM>, wolf@netcom.COM (Buckskin Tech.) writes:
> Well, my friend Boots and I just finished building a coal forge for an
> upcoming Renaissance Faire.  As this will be an "historically accurate"
> demonstration of 'smithing in the late 1500's, it might not have much
> intersection with this group, but I'd be interested in hearing comments
> suggestions (please!), [........]

Umm....if it's 16th c. period, hadn't you better use charcoal?  And
not bricquettes, either :-).

>  - Wolf
>
> PS:  Anyone have a copy of _De Re Metallica_?  Found a reprint in a bookstore
> once and didn't buy it, now I wish I had.

That's a Dover publication, and I thot it was still in print.  Check
with yr friendly neighborhood bookstore.