[trial.misc.legal.software] native language editing of source code

In article <10551@pt.cs.cmu.edu> butcher@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Lawrence Butcher) writes:
> The GNU software project has many goals.  One goal is to allow programmers
> to be creative without assistance or interference from lawyers.  The GNU
> project creates legally unencumbered software.

Not to pick nits, but this statement is completely, absolutely, totally
wrong. The GPL creates legally encumbered software. The U.S. Government
creates legally unencumbered software. If you're going to use a legal
term, at least try to use it correctly.

> In the long run I expect to see radically new software created.

Software is never radically new. I think certain GNU programs represent
as much of an advance as any software; there's no need to wait for the
long run.

> Starting with these, it might be possible to synthesize a
> programming environment which allows native language editing of software.

This is not a new idea. Popular languages are translated quickly.
International interface support is solid. There is at least one Ada
environment that encourages multilingual source editing.

---Dan