[trial.misc.legal.software] reverted copyrights

BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) (11/14/90)

There has, of late, been much interest in the community of Apple II-series
owners about a piece of software called Hyper C.  The company that made it went
out of business in, I believe, 1986.  So everyone is wondering who the copy-
rights, on both software and documentation, reverted to when the company disap-
peared (bankrupt, I believe, but I'm not sure).

I'm sure that this information must exist "in the public record" somewhere, but
where?  All the information that we have is the name of the company, its 1986
mailing address (somewhere in Arizona) and the names of maybe two or three em-
ployees.  So how can we go about finding the current status of the old copy-
rights?

                            Ben Liblit
                            BRL102 @ psuvm.bitnet -- BRL102 @ psuvm.psu.edu
                            "Fais que tes reves soient plus longs que la nuit."

In article <90317.123739BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu> BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) writes:
> he company that made it went
> out of business in, I believe, 1986.  So everyone is wondering who the copy-
> rights, on both software and documentation, reverted to

Isn't it 75 years after a corporation dies before the copyright ends?

If the company was an unincorporated partnership, the individuals still
own the copyright.

---Dan