[comp.org.sug] comp.sys.sun

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (10/06/90)

I suggest that the national SUG spend some money to ensure that the
moderation of comp.sys.sun is done in a timely fashion.  --Ed

leadley@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Scott Leadley) (10/06/90)

In article <EMV.90Oct5131245@josephus.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>I suggest that the national SUG spend some money to ensure that the
>moderation of comp.sys.sun is done in a timely fashion.  --Ed

	Ed, you're brilliant.  I second the idea.  I'll also see to it that
our University's representative at the next Sun Users Group brings up the issue
with the appropriate people and that the officers of our SLUG (ROCSLUG) push
the issue with the national group.
--
					Scott Leadley - leadley@cc.rochester.edu

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (10/08/90)

leadley@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Scott Leadley) writes:
|emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
|>I suggest that the national SUG spend some money to ensure that the
|>moderation of comp.sys.sun is done in a timely fashion.  --Ed
|
| . . . I second the idea.  . . .

i don't much like this idea.  when greene (the current moderator) was
discussing the developing difficulties he indicated that rice thought
it was becoming too much of a time sink and they didn't want to pay for
it.  making the group/list unmoderated was one idea and dividing the work
up among several people was another (i prefer the latter).  i think the real
problem is that there is no effective scheme for handing the job off to
another person.  now sug funding a part of someone's time could help in
that if things stop working they just fund someone else but i'd rather see
the process distributed to several other sites and handled by people who
can get their management to agree that this is a valuable resource and
thus deserving of some time.  i think it would also help if it wasn't
done by a student but rather a full-time system person who is likely to
have access to the required resources for some time.  i'd also like to
see the archives moved to uunet but that's somewhat peripheral.

to sum up i think the answer is redundancy.  share the task around so
it doesn't become dependent on one person.  put it in the hands of
folks who are unlikely to move and who have the resources.  if sug wants
to co-ordinate this process that seems reasonable but direct compensation
to some entity doesn't seem sufficient to me since it doesn't address
the real problems*.

*as well as the hand-off failure we also have the motivation for hand-off.
 the job takes up too much of a single person's time.
--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms
opinions found above are mine unless marked otherwise.

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (10/09/90)

In article <EMV.90Oct5131245@josephus.math.lsa.umich.edu>,
emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

|> I suggest that the national SUG spend some money to ensure that the
|> moderation of comp.sys.sun is done in a timely fashion.  --Ed

I'm skeptical that any moderation scheme will end up timely enough even
if it is officially funded. I suggest that comp.sys.sun become an unmoderated
reflector, and the moderation efforts be applied to filtering it for
the sun-spots digests. Some SUG funding would certainly be a plus in keeping
the digests (and archive) as up to date as possible, but I think readers
should be able to decide whether they want the digest or the faster response
in the newsgroup.

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct8.184908@mathcs.emory.edu>, km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken
Mandelberg) writes:
|>I'm skeptical that any moderation scheme will end up timely enough even
|>if it is officially funded. I suggest that comp.sys.sun become an unmoderated
|>reflector, and the moderation efforts be applied to filtering it for
|>the sun-spots digests....

Although this is mot quite the right place for this discussion, let me
quickly say that the last time I talked to Bob Greene he said that he
was throwing out about half of the messages that he received.  That would
imply that the comp.sys.sun volume would about double if it went unmoderated.
Just food for thought....

(I am speaking for myself and no one else.)

		William LeFebvre
		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (10/10/90)

In article <EMV.90Oct5131245@josephus.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
   I suggest that the national SUG spend some money to ensure that the
   moderation of comp.sys.sun is done in a timely fashion.

Good idea.  Sun-Spots has a long and illustrious history, with
uniformly excellent quality of moderation, but always plagued with
intermittency.  Perhaps institutional support would help dampen the
oscillations.

rlb@lavalite.asd.sgi.com (Robert Brown) (10/10/90)

In the past few months there had been quite a lot of discussion of SUG National contributing
to the support of sun-spots and/or comp.sys.sun but, by the time I resigned from the Board
of Directors, no conclusion on what action to take had been reached.  The last strawman
on the table was for SUG to be one of several co-contributors to supporting the effort.  There
may have been some action on it since then, and it'll undoubtedly be brought up at the
San Jose conference in December.

SUG could not take it over, since the technical people in the organization are all volunteers
with other full-time jobs (no grad students!).

Bob Brown