[comp.org.sug] Sun User Group Exhibit Only Fee

peter@world.std.com (Peter Salus) (10/19/90)

Dan Davidson asked several quite disjunct queries in
his posting.  Not wanting to get into an argument
of any sort, let me try to answer them factually.

(1) The exhibits-only admission in San Jose will
	be $15.  It wasn't in the brochure because
	it's an on-site, not pre-registration
	fee.

(2) SUG isn't "Sun's User Group,"  it is the Sun User
	Group,Inc.  If it were a "captive" group --
	like DECUS, for example -- it could have free
	(subsidized) memberships.

(3) Dan may feel the fees are extravagant, but the
	tutorials are the same as those at Sun Expo
	and less than those at USENIX or UNIX Expo.
	I don't have too many booklets on my desk,
	but the C++ conference in New Jersey last
	month was $895 for the conference, $350
	for a full-day tutorial.  That's over
	double what the SUGFest fee is in either
	category.  In 1989, 40% of SUG's income and
	about 12% of its operating revenue came from
	the Anaheim meeting.

--
The difference between practice and theory in practice is always
greater than the difference between practice and theory in theory.

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct19.152134.22517@world.std.com> peter@world.std.com
(Peter Salus) writes:

   Dan Davidson asked several quite disjunct queries in
   his posting.  Not wanting to get into an argument
   of any sort, let me try to answer them factually.

"Davison", and on the argument, agreed.

   (1) The exhibits-only admission in San Jose will
           be $15.  It wasn't in the brochure because
           it's an on-site, not pre-registration
           fee.

It would have been very useful to have this information before now,
and I would suggest that this information be part of next year's SUG
meeeting announcements.

   (2) SUG isn't "Sun's User Group,"  it is the Sun User
           Group,Inc.

A *careful* reading of page 10 (of the unpaginated full annoucement --
counting the cover as page 1) *strongly* suggests otherwise.

           If it were a "captive" group --
           like DECUS, for example -- it could have free
           (subsidized) memberships.

The presence or absence of "subsidized" memberships was not what I had
in mind.

   (3) Dan may feel the fees are extravagant, but the
           tutorials are the same as those at Sun Expo
           and less than those at USENIX or UNIX Expo.
           [...]. In 1989, 40% of SUG's income and
           about 12% of its operating revenue came from
           the Anaheim meeting.

We don't really disagree here.  The SUG meeting is the primary source o
income for the SUG and as such *steps should be taken to maximize that
income*.

We have just had a posting in this newsgroup about the expenses the
SUG has taken on, limiting (for now) the ability of the SUG to support
other things, such as the Sun-Spots Digest.

However, to state my postion again, and hopefully more clearly, if the
cost of registration were in the $200-$250 range, more people would be
able to attend. This means more dollars for the SUG.

This is especially relevant for independent consultants and those
working for small companies who cannot afford a kilobuck or two per
employee for the current SUG meeting.  The fees cited by Peter are
clearly aimed a companies with deep pockets.  Deep pockets may have
been the rule in the past, but I'll bet registrations would greatly
increase with more reasonable fees.  Even the government is cutting
back on travel expenses!

More registrations mean more money for the SUG.

Lastly, I did not mean to suggest that the tutorial fees were out of
line; I thought, and I only meant to refer to the registration fee.
The tutorial fees seem to me, at least, to be reasonable very
reasonable.

dan davison
davison@uh.edu
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU

"Comparing bad weather to rape: 'if it's inevitable, just relax and
enjoy it'"  Clayton Williams, next Governor of Texas...and THIS is the
kind of person and attitute most Texans find acceptable...in
1990...very sad.

myself.

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct20.045519.24747@lavaca.uh.edu>, davison@menudo.uh.edu
(Dan Davison) writes:
|>   (2) SUG isn't "Sun's User Group,"  it is the Sun User
|>           Group,Inc.
|>
|>A *careful* reading of page 10 (of the unpaginated full annoucement --
|>counting the cover as page 1) *strongly* suggests otherwise.

Page 10 as I count it is a *PRELIMINARY* list of exhibitors.  Careful
reading of that page isn't going to give you much more than eye strain.
Since it is preliminary (they unfortunately used the term "alpha"), it
is subject to change (both additions and removals).

|>This is especially relevant for independent consultants and those
|>working for small companies who cannot afford a kilobuck or two per
|>employee for the current SUG meeting.  The fees cited by Peter are
|>clearly aimed a companies with deep pockets.  Deep pockets may have
|>been the rule in the past, but I'll bet registrations would greatly
|>increase with more reasonable fees.  Even the government is cutting
|>back on travel expenses!

Prices were set, plans were made, brochures went to press long before
Hussein went to Kuwait.  The cutbacks in travel caused by the current
economic problems could not have been forseen.  I, for one, am somewhat
concernced that that will have a negative impact on attendance.  But
there's not a whole lot that we can do about that now.

|>More registrations mean more money for the SUG.

It's a classic economics problem.  Don't forget that there is a fixed
cost AND a per person cost.  Lowering the price may bring in more
people, but that incurs more expenses (more lunches for example).

Once again, I am only speaking for myself.

			William LeFebvre

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (10/23/90)

Peter Salus notes:

>(3) Dan may feel the fees [at SUG] are extravagant, but the tutorials are
> the same as those at Sun Expo and less than those at USENIX or UNIX Expo.

It's worth pointing out that at least SunExpo and UNIX Expo are
commercial ventures by commercial corporations, and so are required
to make a profit to continue their existance.  Surely that changes the
economics of how much a tutorial costs?

Further, profit should come from the vendors, not the attendees, anyway,
in my opinion.

The other side of the coin here too is how much are tutorial speakers
paid to give talks?  Some of the best tutorials I've been two were
given by relatively neophyte tutorial speakers who really knew their
subjects, and the all time worst tutorial I attended (for about twenty
minutes before I walked out in disgust) was by someone that appears to
be a 'professional tutorial presenter' who is still 'on the circuit'.
Typical fees for a speaker are $1000 / day + board...

I agree that SUG seems a bit expensive for a small users group meeting,
but then again, I think SUG is an excellent users group (modulo the
apalling politics and its peculiar relationship with Sun itself)

						-- Dave Taylor

						Editor at Large
						SunTech Journal
taylor@intuitive.com

In article <1375@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>It's worth pointing out that at least SunExpo and UNIX Expo are
>commercial ventures by commercial corporations, and so are required
>to make a profit to continue their existance.  Surely that changes the
>economics of how much a tutorial costs?

Probably not much; tutorials are often the single biggest source of revenue
even for the non-profit conference organizers (who often have other projects,
which don't pay their own way, to support).
--
The type syntax for C is essentially   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
unparsable.             --Rob Pike     |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry