[comp.org.sug] Hotels in San Jose

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (10/12/90)

>BTW, I think it might be an idea in future for SUG to include this kind of
>information with the registration form. It's all fine and good to say "the
>headquarters hotel is such-and-such, rates are $xxx/night", but it would be
>nice to have alternatives. Dozens of people shouldn't have to each go hunting
>for the information independently. Or is there something in an agreement
>that gives the host hotel exclusive access to being listed?

No, there's no exclusive listing, in fact the hotel will sell out long
before the conference starts so exclusivity isn't really needed.

Hey all, this is a *USER* group. Ya want a list? Make a list!

Surely people reading this newsgroup know more about where to stay in
San Jose than the handful of folks at SugCo Enterprises.

There's a lot more to recommending a hotel than just listing its
address and room price. Better to hear from someone who's stayed
there.

As with any user group if you sit around waiting for some mythical
central apparatus to do something it almost never happens. Things
happen because people make them happen.

Let's see some suggestions for places to stay near the conference
right here.

The conference is being held in the Fairmont in Downtown San Jose.

"Your" move.

P.S. I'm not particularly familiar with San Jose proper, I've only
stayed at the Fairmont (and it's very nice tho I could do without the
televisions in the bathroom to be honest...)
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct11.165247.27969@nmt.edu>, nraoaoc@jupiter.nmt.edu (NRAO Array
Operations Center) says:
>whether there are any hotels within a couple of blocks (i.e. walking
>distance) which would have singles for less than $99/night. I'm not really

The Fairmont is a very nice hotel -- with very nice prices.  It's a block and
a half away.  The Holiday Inn is directly across the street from the Convention
Center.  If you can prove you are a government employee (ANY government)
they'll give you a special rate, which recently was about $80.  That's probably
your best bet.

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (10/12/90)

In article <BZS.90Oct11202522@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
   P.S. I'm not particularly familiar with San Jose proper, I've only
   stayed at the Fairmont (and it's very nice tho I could do without
   the televisions in the bathroom to be honest...)

(...though the telephone there was convenient one morning when a mild
crisis arose at home - better than freezing in the main room while
dripping shaving cream on their expensive carpets :-)

feldman@comet.Tymnet.COM (Steve Feldman) (10/14/90)

<george@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>The following is a list of the hotels near by the San Jose
>Convention Center.  Their distances are about 1 miles from
>the Convention Center.

Of the four hotels on your list, only the Fairmont and Holiday Inn are
within short walking distance of the San Jose convention center.
The Le Baron and Hyatt are about 2-3 miles away, though both are
near light rail stops.  The light rail has a stop directly in front
of the convention center, about a 10 minute ride from those hotels.

	Steve Feldman
	BT Tymnet

peter@world.std.com (Peter Salus) (10/30/90)

As a result of a number of requests, the Sun User Group
has added several hotel arrangements for those
who find the Fairmont too steep (or, in a week or
two, already booked up).

To get these special rates you *MUST* book through
Rosenbluth Travel: 1-800-222-1035 (inside CA: 415-512-6360).

The current hotel list is:

	Fairmont: $99/night
	Holiday Inn: $77/night (gov't rate: $55/night)
	DeAnza: $99/night
	LeBaron: $71/night
	Hyatt: $76/night

Peter
--
The difference between practice and theory in practice is always
greater than the difference between practice and theory in theory.

fmbutt@mrbt.sw.stratus.com (Farooq Butt) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Oct30.140530.23728@world.std.com> peter@world.std.com (Peter Salus) writes:
...deleted
>The current hotel list is:
>
>	Fairmont: $99/night
>	Holiday Inn: $77/night (gov't rate: $55/night)
>	DeAnza: $99/night
>	LeBaron: $71/night

Unsolicited testimonial: This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed
at.  The rooms were dingy, dirty and small.  The bathrooms were worse.
The service was terrible and the water was so soft that one needed to
rinse for at least 1/2 hour to get rid of soap (!)....

--
Hi-Tech Disclaimer: NOTHING in the above article has any relationship
            to reality. If any reality correspondences are found,