[comp.org.sug] Sun User Group Membership

immi@trigon.in-berlin.de (Immanuel Bloch) (04/03/91)

Hi,
we own a Sparcstation 1 and would like to become a member of the Sun User Group
Would someone please be so kind to tell what I have to do in order to
become a member, and what the Sun User Group does for its members ?

Thanx in advance

 Immanuel Bloch

--
Immanuel Bloch    | UUCP: immi@trigon.in-berlin.de  | The only problem with
6490 Schluechtern | Tel.: (+49)-6661-3377           | doing nothing is that

peter@world.std.com (Peter Salus) (04/04/91)

In article <KIMPGDD@trigon.in-berlin.de> immi@trigon.in-berlin.de (Immanuel Bloch) writes:
>Hi,
>we own a Sparcstation 1 and would like to become a member of the Sun User Group
>Would someone please be so kind to tell what I have to do in order to
>become a member, and what the Sun User Group does for its members ?
		*	*	*

What is

The Sun User Group?

 * Technical Conferences

 * Annual Exhibit

 * Donated Software Distribution

 *  README  Newsletter

 * Local User Group Support

 * Newsgroup  comp.org.sug

Sun User Group, Inc.
Suite 315
1330 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA 02146
USA

 office@sug.org

The Sun User Group, Inc., is an international not-for-profit technical
and professional association. Our members are users, manufacturers, and
resellers of hardware and software either produced or licensed
by Sun Microsystems, or which expands or enhances the
capabilities of such equipment.  The Sun User Group
encourages communication
of innovative research and development of technology
through its conferences, exhibits and publications.

The Sun User Group also serves as a distribution point
for contributed software in tape and CD ROM formats.

The Sun User Group is incorporated in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
as a not-for-profit, educational organization.

 Membership  is

 * open to all interested individuals

 * only $40.00 (US) per year

(International postage $15 extra)

Members receive:

  Discounts on Conference registrations

  Right to purchase contributed software

  Quarterly newsletter  README

  Local Group support

 C O N F E R E N C E S

The Sun User Group sponsors two conferences
per year, in June and in December.  The December Conference
has a large vendor exhibit.  Each Conference features a
day of tutorials and several days of technical sessions.
The conferences are attended by members from around the
world:  the 1990 Conference in San Jose was attended by
over 4000 individuals from
22 countries, plus 43 of the fifty United States and the
District of Columbia.

Forthcoming conferences are:

Atlanta, GA, June 17-19, 1991

San Jose, CA, December 7-10, 1991

Washington, DC, June 1992

San Jose, CA, December 1992

The Sun User Group is dedicated to keeping in the
forefront of Sun and Sun-licensed technology.  The
tutorials reflect the changing interests and demands
of our technical and professional members.

 S O F T W A R E   L I B R A R Y

The Sun User Group makes available public domain
(unsupported, donated) software.  In the past, there have
been software tapes; in 1991, keeping in the technological
forefront, SUG is issuing a CD-ROM.  Send email for
further information.

 README    N E W S L E T T E R

The Sun User Group publishes a quarterly newsletter,
containing useful articles; User Group news; and Sun
Microsystems and third-party vendor information.
Submissions are encouraged, and may be sent to  readme@sug.org .
1990 issues included articles concerning Superuser Privileges and
about Domains and Networks.

 L O C A L   U S E R   G R O U P S

One of the ways of getting to know your colleagues is through
a local user group.
Local User Groups (LUGs) exist throughout the world.  Currently,
there are LUGs in 29 states and 18 countries.  The
Sun User Group supports these local groups with listings,
literature, a mailing list (LUG-NUTS), and organizational
assistance.  Several international LUGs have entered into
formal arrangements with the Sun User Group to ensure that
their members receive  README  and other benefits.

Get involved with your local user group.

 O R G A N I Z A T I O N

The Sun User Group is governed by a Board of Directors,
each of whom serves a three-year term.  The 1991 Board
members are:

Bim Toth,  President  (Harvard Univ.)

Doug Kingston,  Vice-President  (Morgan Stanley)

Dinah McNutt,  Secretary , Technology Transfer Associates

Barry Shein,  Treasurer , Software Tool & Die

Stan Hanks, Technology Transfer Associates

Bill LeFebvre, Northwestern Univ.

Rich Morin, Canta Forda Computer Lab.

Frode Odegard, Veda Technologies, Inc.

Mark Seiden, Seiden & Associates