[comp.org.sug] Sun User's Group in MI

panguyen@vela.acs.oakland.edu (panguyen) (05/19/91)

To all netters on comp.org.sug,
I would like to find out more information about Sun User Group (SUG) in Michigan.
I'm a former subscriber to SunExpert.  Somehow, due to the change in my work
address, I have not received any more SunExpert's magazines.
I am looking for some back copies of SunExpert ( Jan89-Dec89 ).
Or better yet, any Barry Shein's articles on SunExpert would be great !
Thanks,
Peter Nguyen
email: panguyen@vela.acs.oakland.edu

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (05/19/91)

In article <6464@vela.acs.oakland.edu> panguyen@vela.acs.oakland.edu (panguyen) writes:

   To all netters on comp.org.sug, I would like to find out more
   information about Sun User Group (SUG) in Michigan.

SEMISLUG meets monthly in Ann Arbor at the Industrial Technology
Institute; i'm trying to remember whether it's 1st thursday or 2d
thursday of the month.  I believe it's still officially registered as
a Sun User Group (tm) though it's not one of the more traditional
ones; i.e. there's no dues, no elected officers, very few Sun salesmen
around (tho we've been known to attact DEC tech support folks).  As of
late, the meeting agenda looks something like this:

- pop and cookies -- graciously provided by our hosts
- question session -- questions (of any sort) written down to be
  answered later
- feature presentation -- sometimes hardware show and tell, sometimes
  software demonstrations, a mix of things presented by people from
  the group and vendors.  pure sales presentations get hooted out the door.
- answer session "snappy answers to stupid questions :-)" to deal with
  the first set of questions and anything else that comes up
- rumor and innuendo -- truth, fiction, and somewhere inbetween
  regarding product announcments, corporate finance, and anything else
  that comes to mind.  One of the highlights of the meeting.

things usually break down once the rumors start flying.  SEMISLUG is
also the unofficial home of the "Michigan mail park", an opportunity
for individuals to locate news and mail feeds and to discuss
connectivity in the local area.  afterwards we generally tend to
adjourn to a bar to continue on.

There are usually a few people from Oakland that attend the meeting;
it draws people in from as far north as Midland and all throughout the
metro Detroit area.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, SEMISLUG member since 1987, emv@msen.com
"half a slug is better than none"

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (05/19/91)

From: emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti)
>SEMISLUG meets monthly in Ann Arbor at the Industrial Technology
>Institute; i'm trying to remember whether it's 1st thursday or 2d
>thursday of the month.  I believe it's still officially registered as
>a Sun User Group (tm) though it's not one of the more traditional
>ones; i.e. there's no dues, no elected officers, very few Sun salesmen
>around (tho we've been known to attact DEC tech support folks).

Typically these are SUG "SLUG"s (Sun Local User Groups), and they can
pretty much do what they want (charge dues, not charge dues, etc.) It
would be interesting to hear what other SLUGs do.

If they inform SUG of their existence (get in touch with Peter Salus,
SUG's Executive Director, peter@sug.org) then whenever we do something
with the SLUGs, or want to communicate with them, they get included in
the list (I think someone was supposed to be maintaining an e-mail
list of contact people, not sure what happened to that.)

The subject of LUG activities with SUG is a perennial topic and I
assure you that we (the Board of Directors of SUG) welcome any
discussion, suggestions, etc. on this topic (board@sug.org).

>"half a slug is better than none"

Mmmm, pass the ketchup please!
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) (05/20/91)

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

>From: emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti)
>>SEMISLUG meets monthly . . . I believe it's still officially registered
>>as a Sun User Group (tm) though it's not one of the more traditional
>>ones; i.e. there's no dues, no elected officers, very few Sun salesmen . . .

>Typically these are SUG "SLUG"s (Sun Local User Groups), and they can
>pretty much do what they want (charge dues, not charge dues, etc.) It
>would be interesting to hear what other SLUGs do.

>If they inform SUG of their existence (get in touch with Peter Salus,
>SUG's Executive Director, peter@sug.org) then whenever we do something
>with the SLUGs, or want to communicate with them, they get included in
>the list (I think someone was supposed to be maintaining an e-mail
>list of contact people, not sure what happened to that.)

We (SEMiSLUG) were one of the first - as far as I know only Bayslug and
the Los Alamos SLUG are older.  We were once registered and they lost
track of us.  When we reregistered last year, they sent use this
wonderful little form to fill out.  About 90% of the answers were "Not
Applicable".  This so confounded the national that they called me twice
to see if this was really true.  Finally they relented and sent me this
cute brass plaque, a tee shirt, and a whole box of various Sun
literature.  No free workstations, tho :-(.

In some sense we're *are* a traditional Sun user group, it's all those
people in ties who are breaking with tradition.

>>"half a slug is better than none"

>Mmmm, pass the ketchup please!

Hey, you should see our logo!  Thank god it's not in color (half a slug,
of course).
--
"SPAM is a registered trademark of a pork product
 packed only by Geo. A Hormel & Co. Corp."

jipping@cs.hope.edu (Mike Jipping) (05/20/91)

> To all netters on comp.org.sug,
> I would like to find out more information about Sun User Group (SUG) in Michigan.

SWAMISLUG meets bi-monthly in SouthWest Michigan.  Like SEMISLUG, we have
no dues, no elected officers, and only about one Sun sales-guy at each
meeting.  We usually have some sort of product presentation first -- done
by an actual vendor or by a user (for the REAL poop :-) -- followed by a
questions and answers session and general food-drink-and-talk time.

We have a newsletter that comes out bi-monthly.  We're new (1 year old)
and we're still trying to see what the Sun folks in this area want.

Contact me (address below) for more info...

      Mike Jipping
      Hope College Department of Computer Science
      jipping@cs.hope.edu  (BITNET: JIPPING@HOPE)

      "Koo koo ka choo"
                  -- Simon and Garfunkel, "Mrs. Robinson"

peter@sug.std.com (Peter Salus) (05/20/91)

In article <scs.674708483@hela.iti.org> scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
>bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>
>>From: emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti)
>>>SEMISLUG meets monthly . . . I believe it's still officially registered
>We (SEMiSLUG) were one of the first - as far as I know only Bayslug and
>the Los Alamos SLUG are older.  We were once registered and they lost
>track of us.  When we reregistered last year, they sent use this
>wonderful little form to fill out.  About 90% of the answers were "Not
>Applicable".  This so confounded the national that they called me twice
>to see if this was really true.  Finally they relented and sent me this
>cute brass plaque, a tee shirt, and a whole box of various Sun
>literature.  No free workstations, tho :-(.

Please do not confuse the Sun Corporate folks who mail our
quantities of Marketing literature and brass plaques and
registration forms with the Sun User Group.  In fact, that
tendency towards confusion was a significant reason for moving
off Sun's property into offices of our own.

The Sun User Group now has a principal office in Brookline,
MA, and a Conference Office in Mountain View, CA.

We care about the membership and about the local User Groups.
We do not care if you register or have a plaque.  The next
issue of README (the quarterly newsletter of SUG), has a cleaned
up list of what we know about user groups around the world.  If
you are running a Sun/SPARC user group and think it worthwhile
to have information available to others, please let Lisa Bloch
(lab@sug.org) know, and we'll revise what we're printing.

SUG runs meetings twice a year: a technical conference --
next one June 17-19 in Atlanta -- and an Annual Conference
and Exhibit -- next one December 8-11 in San Jose; it
publishes README quarterly; it publishes proceedings of
its conferences; it has put out distributable software
tapes in the past and will issue a CD-ROM in about three
weeks.  SUG also produces toys, occasionally, in the past
there have been screwdrivers, mugs, t-shirts.

If you're not a member and you use Sun or SPARC hardware
or software, you ought to be...

Peter H. Salus
Executive Director

Sun User Group, Inc; Suite 315; 1330 Beacon St.; Brookline, MA 02146
	voice +1 617 232-0514		fax +1 617 232-1347