[misc.forsale.computers] Mac SE/30 HD40 2meg RAM, reduced !!!

RP1VOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET (Rob Pickering) (07/26/90)

Okay,

     All of the flames I have been receiving have prompted me to make
the offer much more reasonable.  I'm selling an SE/30, 40 Meg HD, 2 megs
of RAM, with an extended keyboard.  I will sell this beast for $2800.
I would like to upgrade my system and this is a fair price.

     I would not like to get letters stating that I am trying to rip people
off, I am a student and I did buy this computer through the University.
However, I did buy it approximately one year ago and the prices were high then.
I AM TAKING A LOSS.  If you are interested I have the original University
receipt.  I don't expect people in Universities to buy this computer.  They can
buy a brand new one for a little more money.  However, people who do not have
access to University prices might want to consider my offer.  I AM NOT MAKING
A PROFIT on anyone.  So please, do not flame me or send me hate mail.

                        I can be reached at this address,
                        rp1voper@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu

                        Or if you like a personal touch.
                        (513) 523-5994

                             -Rob

pfr654@csc.anu.oz (07/27/90)

In article <90207.102223RP1VOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET>, RP1VOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET (Rob Pickering) writes:
> Okay,
>
> However, I did buy it approximately one year ago and the prices were high then.
> I AM TAKING A LOSS.  If you are interested I have the original University
> receipt.  I don't expect people in Universities to buy this computer.  They can

>                              -Rob

Rob, you have still got it wrong:

a one year old computer has DEPRECIATED in value to the tune of about 30%
(at least that's what the Tax office allows); it is out of warranty; the
original system software and manuals are out of date; it may well have one
of the dodgy Quantum drives that plagued the first SE/30s

one can buy a new SE/30 from shops in the US for $3200; or from the
consortium for much less than you're offering, about $2200 (both with 40
meg HD, the extra meg of RAM is dirt cheap since it has four empty slots for
people's old 256k SIMMS)

the normal 2nd hand price is within 20% of the new consortium price, so I
still don't think that you'll sell it at this price without throwing in
some extra software

lastly: the rumours of new Macs are making new and second-hand mac sales
quite slow: unless it is a bargain, people won't buy.

Phil Ryan
ANU Department of Physics and Theoretical Physics
Canberra, Australia
pfr654@csc.anu.oz.au   phone:(61 6) 249 4678   fax:(61 6) 249 0741