[net.travel] LOST Airline Tickets

45223wc@mtuxo.UUCP (w.cambre) (08/10/85)

  What does one do if they lost some airline tickets (that were charged
to AMEX)?  Obviously one gets new tickets issued, but what about the first set.
Does the loser have to pay for them? (You can't be serious!) How do
airlines get their money from ticket sales?  When the ticket  is  used?
When the ticket is issued?  How does the loser get the airline to refund
the amount of the tickets?  Let say the tickets had printed on them
REFUND TO AMEX #blahblahblahblah ONLY.  I've heard from travel agents
that there is a 'LOST TICKET' form available from the airlines, but that
it takes about six months for the  refund to go through.  Is this true?

Would you believe I'm just an interested  third party?

 - Bill Cambre  {ihnp4!}mtuxo!45223wc

btb@mtuxo.UUCP (Bruce Burger) (08/13/85)

>   What does one do if they lost some airline tickets (that were charged
> to AMEX)?  Obviously one gets new tickets issued, but what about the first
> set?

When I lost a ticket, Eastern charged me $20 and said that if the
old (lost) ticket was used, I'd be billed for the new one too.  They said
they could not guarantee that they would notice if someone tried to
use the lost ticket.  I had no choice but to go along; if someone
had subsequently used the lost ticket I would have sued them on the
grounds that they should have caught them.  (Then again, I can see
how that's difficult, especially since another airline could accept
an Eastern ticket with the presumption that Eastern will pay them.)

The story had a happy ending, since a week after the flight, a
person I was flying with discovered that she had had my ticket all
along.

--Bruce Burger     AT&T Information Systems     Freehold, NJ
  {...ihnp4!}mtuxo!btb

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (08/15/85)

In article <867@mtuxo.UUCP> 45223wc@mtuxo.UUCP (w.cambre) writes:

>  What does one do if they lost some airline tickets (that were charged
>to AMEX)?  Obviously one gets new tickets issued, but what about the first set.
>Does the loser have to pay for them? (You can't be serious!) How do
>airlines get their money from ticket sales?  When the ticket  is  used?
>When the ticket is issued?  How does the loser get the airline to refund
>the amount of the tickets?  Let say the tickets had printed on them
>REFUND TO AMEX #blahblahblahblah ONLY.  I've heard from travel agents
>that there is a 'LOST TICKET' form available from the airlines, but that
>it takes about six months for the  refund to go through.  Is this true?
>
>Would you believe I'm just an interested  third party?
>
> - Bill Cambre  {ihnp4!}mtuxo!45223wc

   As someone who owns a travel agency let me give you the following advice:

   Most airlines (but not all particularly the discounters like Southwest and
People Express) have a lost or stolen ticket form.  The charge is usually $50
if they pay off the ticket.  The airlines usually spend some amount of time
which varies from 1 to 6 months researching to see if the ticket was used or
refunded. If not then they pay off.  As to the use of the AMEX card, the
ticket may only be refunded back to that card.  This is one reason why you
should always buy tickets with a credit card. If they are stolen they can be
used but not refunded. Since many fares these days have very strict policies
regarding changing of the reservation then it also becomes difficult to use
the ticket. Since I have been in business (almost 8 years) I have never had
a case where the airlines did not pay off. (about 50 situations)

   It is also my experience that the airlines will permit you to have your
ticket rewritten even though you may no longer qualify for the fare (either it
has increased or you are within an advance purchase period).

   Finally as to your question of when does the airline get its money.  This
is a little tricky.  Every ticket has a "plating" airline.  That is the
airline who receives the money for the ticket. Typically the plating airline
is the first airline of the itinerary unless it is an international trip in
which case the first over-water carrier is typically used.  Assuming that you
have a 3-leg ticket consisting of airlines A, B, and C. A gets all the money
and when you travel on B and C they must submit their coupons back to A for
their money.  You can see that it is a big advantage from a money float point
of view to be the plating airline.  A few years ago, American Airlines set a
policy that all tickets issued on their computer regardless of which airlines
were used would be plated on American.  The other airlines set up a large
yell and the CAB mandated that you may only plate on one of the airlines which
are included in the itinerary. They also strongly pushed for the rule of the
first airline or first over-water carrier.  This is also the way in which a
travel agent protects against a financially-weak airline.  If A is weak and B
is strong then you use B for plating.  Thus if A goes out of business then the
money lies with B and is available for refund.  Notice that this tends to put
a large cash-flow problem on financially-weak airlines and that is exactly
what happened to Braniff when they went under.

		Bob Shapiro

scs@axiom.UUCP (Steve Schwarm) (08/18/85)

I had it happen to me in December.  Some tickets got thrown in the
trash.  It cost $30.00 per ticket and took 6 months.  This was though
Eastern but I think it is about the same with other airlines.  The
cost does differ.  You should treat Airline Tickets as Cash!!

	Steve Schwarm
	linus!axiom!scs

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (08/21/85)

Several years ago (well, 14, if you must know), I lost a ticket flying to
California on United Airlines--when they took my luggage tickets at the exit
they took my ticket folder with them.  They issued a replacement ticket at no
charge, and told me that if my original was used within six months, they would
bill me for it.

This was my first experience flying.  I was a college student with no credit
cards and no checking account, and was quite relieved that they would issue a
replacement on my word.  There was no charge then, but $20 isn't too bad when
you consider the cost of tickets.  I suspect that smaller airlines may have
less generous policies, since they can less easily afford the loss if some one
does falsely get a replacement, use both tickets, and then skip out on the
payment.

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl