[net.travel] warning re shipping stuff home

copp@petrus.UUCP (08/30/85)

I would like to pass on a warning to people who are considering
buying things abroad and having them shipped home.

In London we bought two sports jackets (about $200).  We naively
asked to have them shipped.  We paid about $20 to the store,
AND an unexpected 18% duty when the package was delivered.
If we had hand-carried the jackets, there would have been no $20 fee,
and no duty (we brought back less than $400-per-person).

In Paris it was even worse--the store fee for $250 worth of stuff was $45.

On the bright side, we did not have to lug large packages across
Europe, and the Value Added Tax was deducted on-the-spot, avoiding
paperwork and delays.  On the other hand, we could have bought another
suitcase and hired a lot of porters to carry it with the $150 we wasted.

kolling@decwrl.UUCP (Karen Kolling) (08/31/85)

> I would like to pass on a warning to people who are considering
> buying things abroad and having them shipped home.
> In London we bought two sports jackets (about $200).  We naively
> asked to have them shipped.  We paid about $20 to the store,
> AND an unexpected 18% duty when the package was delivered.

I shipped home several hundred dollars worth of stuff, including wool
sweaters, from Denmark a few months ago.  I've forgotten the shipping
charges (not large enough to make an impression, I assume), but no
duty was collected.  This must vary by country of origin, or else US
Snail slipped up.  Maybe someone who knows the rules could enlighten us.

tristan@idi.UUCP (N. Starner) (09/01/85)

I recently shipped a lot of stuff home from Germany, and
not only was it cheap to ship, they collected no
duty from me at home. In Hungary, however, it would
have been the same price to ship things as it was
to buy them. I guess it really depends on the country.

Does anyone have any more input as to which countries
charge duty on the U.S end? I am about to go to
New Zealand and Australia and I would like to know.
Also Japan next year.

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (09/03/85)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA rduxb!smh

> > In London we bought two sports jackets (about $200).  We naively
> > asked to have them shipped.  We paid about $20 to the store,
> > AND an unexpected 18% duty when the package was delivered.
>
> I shipped home several hundred dollars worth of stuff, including wool
> sweaters, from Denmark a few months ago.  I've forgotten the shipping
> charges (not large enough to make an impression, I assume), but no
> duty was collected.  This must vary by country of origin, or else US
> Snail slipped up.  Maybe someone who knows the rules could enlighten us.

Check with Customs, but the rule you want used to read like this:
You are allowed to send home duty free $50 per day in merchandise to
each different address.  What we do is have friends agree to accept
packages from us while we are gone.  We send each package to a different
address to avoid having any 2 packages come to the same address on the same
day.  While in Australia and New Zealand we accumulated books and
tourist information which we didn't want to carry home so we sent it
home by the cheapest way possible.  It worked out great.

greg@olivee.UUCP (Greg Paley) (09/03/85)

> I would like to pass on a warning to people who are considering
> buying things abroad and having them shipped home.
>
> In London we bought two sports jackets (about $200).  We naively
> asked to have them shipped.  We paid about $20 to the store,
> AND an unexpected 18% duty when the package was delivered.
> If we had hand-carried the jackets, there would have been no $20 fee,
> and no duty (we brought back less than $400-per-person).
>
> In Paris it was even worse--the store fee for $250 worth of stuff was $45.
>
> On the bright side, we did not have to lug large packages across
> Europe, and the Value Added Tax was deducted on-the-spot, avoiding
> paperwork and delays.  On the other hand, we could have bought another
> suitcase and hired a lot of porters to carry it with the $150 we wasted.

This doesn't always work out so badly.  My wife and I bought a set of
Rosenthal china in Munich (from Haertle - on the passageway between
Stachus and Marienplatz).  Not only was the price about 1/3 of what
we would have paid at S.Christian of Copenhagen in San Francisco, but
they sent the china in a fairly large number of small (well packaged)
individual packages each of which they declared as having a value of
$25.00.  U.S. customs opened one of these and decided it was actually
worth $100.00, therefore charging us duty on it, but the rest came
duty-free.  This was also a case where we could not have possibly
brought it with us in our already bulging suitcases.

	- Greg Paley

lizv@tektools.UUCP (Liz Vaughan) (09/04/85)

I think it must vary with country, but I've had no problems with buying stuff
and taking it to the post office myself (rather than having the store send
it). Many European post offices sell "mailing kits" with a box and tape.
I wasn't doing this to avoid duties, just to avoid lugging stuff around, so
that may be the difference, but if you wouldn't have to declare it
hand-carrying it back, you shouldn't have to for mailing it yourself either.
Sounds like you got had by the store.

Liz Vaughan

...tektronix!tektools!lizv

darryl@ISM780.UUCP (09/04/85)

While in England and Scotland, we slowly shipped back all of the
clothing we brought with us.  We then proceeded to wear or carry most
of the stuff we bought.  We did ship some items back (we bought a set of
Waterford crystal IN THE AIRPORT, but still much cheaper than here!),
but were never assessed any duty.  Buying another suitcase was not an
option for us -- we were travelling on a rented motorcycle!

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
	    ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (09/05/85)

In article <255@decwrl.UUCP> kolling@decwrl.UUCP (Karen Kolling) writes:
>I've forgotten the shipping
>charges (not large enough to make an impression, I assume), but no
>duty was collected.  This must vary by country of origin, or else US
>Snail slipped up.

I think that the collection of duty on packages shipped from foreign
countries is somewhat random.  Last time we went to Europe, we had
several things shipped back (sweaters from Norway and glassware from
Denmark), and no duty was collected on any of it.  The shipping charges
were not outrageous (less than the VAT, as I recall, and it's hard to
get a VAT refund when you leave the country on a train in the middle of
the night), and no duty was collected.  (The Danish store (BoligHus)
marked our package as "Unsolicited gift, value less than $25" with a big
red sticker.  This may have had something to do with it, although the
little green customs form gave the actual value in kroner (about $150,
as I recall).)  In any case, it sure beat carrying around 30 pieces of
fragile crystal for 3 more weeks!

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"To feel at home, stay at home.  A foreign country is not designed