[misc.forsale.computers] . all about Touche/PC Pros

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (02/28/91)

Recently I posted 3 articles on the net in comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
and misc.forsale.computers to ask people about a company called
Touche (a division of PC Pros in Darien, Illinois).  The response
I got was overwhelmingly negative.

I was thinking about buying a 386-33 from Touche until I was
persuaded not to.  I love Touche's system--it's got great
components--but I found that I could not trust Touche to even
deliver it to my door based upon my findings after hours of
research on this company.

I called the Better Business Bureau in Illinois and they said
that there were complaints about "inoperative replacement parts"
and "nondelivery of merchandise."  I then called Touche (for the
third time) and asked them to respond to these things.  Touche's
rep (Joe) said that they were back ordered for months on DOS 4.01,
and that they are shipping it now--and that was what was meant
by the "nondelivery of merchandise."  But he said he didn't know
about the "inoperative replacement parts."  I asked him what the
replacement policy was, and he said that the customer calls their
1-800 tech support (a new service) and then they send out via
Federal Express a NEW part for replacement.  AFTER the customer
receives the part, he is to replace it and then send the old part
back to Touche.  He also said that there was no VISA deposit to
ensure that they would get the old part back.

I called back at another time and spoke to
a woman who said she wasn't aware of the problem.  I called on 4
different occasions and was assured that if a part failed it was
definitely promptly replaced by a NEW part via overnight Federal
Express.  They were upfront about this, and were consistent in what
they said.

I asked PC Pros why they don't have a 30-day money back guarantee.
They said that they only want to deal with serious enquirers (which
is why they have toll-free tech support, but NOT a toll-free
sales line), and they said they do not want to deal with used
equipment.  They argued that they put together the best system
(I do have to agree with that) and that they were backing it up
with proper support (guarantee, Federal Express new parts, etc.).
They also said that they can keep their prices so low because
they don't have a huge overhead--namely a small staff to answer
phones and one-page ads (their ads are always only 1 page).

This is what TOUCHE says.  But it seemed funny to me that they
weren't aware of the fact that there had been complaints to
the Better Business Bureau.

I called the Computer Shopper's customer service line (Touche
advertises in the Computer Shopper).  The lady cheerfully looked
in her files...then very glumly told me that she could not tell
me anything, and that I would have to act upon what I'd already
been informed (I had just told here about what the Better Business
Bureau said).  To me, this was her way of letting me know things
weren't good with Touche, but without getting herself involved
in legal difficulties.  I had the strong impression that she
would have said something like "we don't have any complaints
on file..." if there hadn't been any complaints registered.

I also called...well, I can't say who, but it was a major supplier
of Touche's system components.  (A VERY MAJOR supplier, hint, hint)
The person I talked to there READILY CONFIRMED that they also had
complaints about Touche, but found himself in a very awkward
position because he immediately gave me indication that he wasn't
supposed to be divulging that sort of information.

There were several people who had positive dealings with Touche,
and to be fair I have put their remarks at the beginning of the
following collection of comments I gathered over the net...

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 20:57 CST

>I'm thinking of buying a 386-33 from Touche.  If you have had any good
>or bad experiences with Touche or PC Pros, please post or email.

  Good outfit.  Motherboard, multi-function, hard drive, floppies,
controller, VGA card, monitor all name brand equipment.
  Only "generics" are case/p.s.
  Keyboard is a re-labeled Keytronics.
  I got mine last July.  386/33
  I see they now have it with a better VGA card, for less money.
  What can I say, it runs like a champ, and they were gentlemanly
and honourable in our transactions.
  Can't ask for better than THAT.

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 15:46:20 EST
Subject: Re: Has  NO ONE  had a good experience with Touche/PC Pros???

I am happy to say that I have owned a Touche for 2 years now and have
had no troubles.  I bought a AMI 25 MHz '386 w/ 150 MB hard drive way
back in 1989.  Since then it has gotten lots of use with the only problem
being a loose power connector to the hard drive when I moved the system
here to Australia (I was originally in Minnesota).  I found the sales
people varied a lot in quality but I was willing to put with that for
the approx. $1000 I saved on the system compared to Dell and Zeos.

If you know what you want and are technically informed, which is the
sort of buyer they aim for, their fine.

Date: Wed Jan 23 11:48:51 1991
Subject: Re: Touche

>Does anyone know the pc-clone make 'Touche'?

Touche is the brand name for the clones assembled and marketed
by the mail order firm PC Pros, 8205 Darien, Illinois 60559,
telephone (708) 810-9490.

They advertise in Computer Shopper, Info World and I'm sure others
as well.

I bought a system from them in September configured and priced as
follows:
	AMI Mark III motherboard, AMI Bios
	25 Mhz 80386 CPU , 64 KB Cache
	4 MB 80 NS SIMM RAM
	1.2 MB 5.25" Floppy, 1.44 3.5" floppy
	Maxtor 348 MB (formatted) 15 MS ESDI hard disk
	Ultrastor disk controller
	Orchid Prodesign II super VGA
	Sony 1304 (14" 1024 x 768 non interlaced) color monitor
	Microsoft Mouse
	Tower case w/ 280 W power supply
	1 year on site service.

	$4,197.

With the big, fast disk and good VGA monitor it seemed like a good
deal. The system runs DOS, Windows 3.0, ISC Unix 2.02 and
X11r4 without any problems at all.

A couple of things to watch out for: The keyboard seems cheap
and is not to my liking at all. There was no 30 day "no questions
asked" return policy. They failed to ship the mouse with the system.
It took 4 phone calls and 2 letters over a 6 week period to finally
get it resolved.

Overall, I'd have to say I'm a satisfied customer.

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 01:20 MDT
Subject: Any experiences with Touche? (PC Pros?)

I bought a Sony 1304 monitor and Orchid PDII card from PC Pros
last summer (July).  They told me the monitor was backordered,
and wouldn't ship out for one week.

It took over a month for my order to arrive, mainly because the
Sonys were scarce at that time (I called several other places
during the wait, and nobody else had the monitor in stock either).

Other than that, I thought they offered good service, the price
was right, and they were fairly friendly.

Subject: Touche

I bought one of Touche(PC-Pro's) 386 33 machines. I have been somewhat less
than impressed by their tech support. I am having problems with the power
supply "hanging" after a brown out. They sent me a replacement however it did
the same thing. Now they have been trying to push me off on their supplier
who has not been all that cooperative. So I am back hassling with Touche.

I love the AMI motherboard it is FAST and the Sony monitor is excellent.
The machine is running 24 hours a day doing high speed modem transfers under
Desqview. I just wish it had been trouble free from the start. In all likeli-
hood I will probably be forced to buy a UPS to make this thing reliable. I
HATE technology that is a step backwards in reliability. The American Enhanced
power supply is trying to do some sort of circuit protection internally but
is not doing it correctly.

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 22:20:14 -0900
Subject: Re:  Need info on Touche.

[I wrote back and asked if this person had complained to the Better
Business Bureau]

No I did not complain to the BBB so this doesn't bode well. Others
apparently did. They told me up front they were having trouble shipping
msdos so I said no problem. 6 weeks later still no msdos I requested a
refund. 4 weeks later I finally got it. Not great but no big deal.

The system I got is the same except you better ask about
the Orchid board because mine was shipped with 512k.
It cost extra for the extra 512k. I got 4megs not 8 on the motherboard.

Here is my complaint. They never really took my problem seriously with
the power supply problem. Instead they pawned me off on their suppliers
to get my questions answered. I have about $40 in long distance calls
talking to pc power and cooling.....it is a 300watt supply and so far
has been fine. The American Enhanced was junk which someone at the Touche
acknowledged but of course no one else would. They had alot of defective
units.

So to settle my problem they agreed to ship a pc power and cooling if I
paid a $50 upgrade. I said fine. I got the unit and found they also charged
me for the shipping. Now that made me very angry. This should have been
a warranty situation. So far no answer to my letter requesting a refund
of those charges.

The hardware is a very nice combination which except for the power supply has
run quite well 24 hours a day since mid Nov. Can I recommend Touche? NO
their attitude toward technical support is poor. On the other hand I have
heard universally good things about Gateway tech support. I had considered
Zeos but contact with their tech support was poor.

Oh if you plan on high speed modem operations with 19200 serial port
speeds the Boca I/o card is junk. It uses a 16C450 uart and some vlsi circuitry
to manage 2 serial ports. There is NO upgrade path to 16550AFN uarts. I had to
disable their ports and add my own cards to get my serial io working right.

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 16:41:46 EST

>  ...thanks for taking the time to answer me--I think you just
> saved me from making an aweful mistake.

Well Steve,
PC Pros gave me such a prolonged headache, the least I
could do was make sure they
lost at least one potential customer.  I too was attracted to their list of
manufacturers but, unlike you, I went ahead and bought
without checking their track
record.  Good luck in purchasing your system!

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 13:34:57 EST
Subject: PC Pros

Not knowing if you've read my posting to comp.forsale.computers, I would just
like to say that I strongly advise against buying from these mailorder bozos.
Spend the couple hundred bucks extra and get a good machine with a good
reputation like Gateway or Northgate.  PC Pros stinks to high heaven for
service.  In particular, the lady I dealt with, Marva, was just despicable
when I was trying to get my machine serviced.

If you'd like an opinion with a little more weight, contact the Better
Business Bureau in Chicago.  There opinion of PC Pros concurs with mine, and
they have several complaints lodged against them.

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 14:51:08 EST
Subject: Re: Any experiences with Touche? (PC Pros?)

>I'm thinking of buying a 386-33 from Touche.  If you have had any good
>or bad experiences with Touche or PC Pros, please post or email.

Stay away from Touche!  I was thinking of buying from them myself.  I
called to ask a few questions- they have no 800 number, even for orders-
and the guy (who said he is the "vice-president" of PC Pros) seemed
irritated and immediately put me on hold.  (Are there really that few
employees that they have the vice-president taking orders?)

I have an uncle who lives near Darien; he is in the skip-trace business
and has access to a reasonable amount of sensitive information...
Apparently these guys aren't so clean.  The BBB said complaints had been
filed on various topics, including failure to deliver the ordered
merchandise.

Get the picture?

Their prices are pretty low, almost TOO low.  It's not worth the risk.
True, the Sony 1304 is nice (are they still bundling it with their systems?),
that's why I ended up buying one.  For a VGA, stay away from Orchid or
Paradise.  Go with a Tseng 4000-type card.  I would highly recommend
the STB Powergraph VGA.

As for an actual system, go ahead and buy mail order.  But don't buy a mail
order system with the bundled video.  You'll get a cheapo monitor in most
cases, and a nonstandard cheapo video card.  You should carefully select
these items yourself and shop around- after all, this is what you'll be
looking at every day!

After the Touche investigation, I decided to order from Tri-Star Computers
in Tempe, AZ.  (I ordered a 386-25 cache system with 4MB, one 1.2 MB floppy,
and a 150 MB ESDI hard drive.  It ran right out of the box, and I've
had no problems.  Their warranty and money-back policies are a little
longer than most companies'...  60 day money-back, I think.

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 11:56 EST
Subject: Touche / News

Re Touche/PCPros.   Our purchasing dept. wouldn't let me order from them from
what they had heard through some sort of informal inter-university grapevine of
purchasing agents.  I looked some more and found a COMPLETELY reputable company
offering essentially the same high quality system for even less money.  I just
ordered my (not actually MY) 3rd machine from them: EPS Tech. of Jefferson S.D.

They have an 800 number for sales & tech.  Their support has been great, and
their equipment superb.  Give them a call.  Their prices have been dropping, so
the latest ads are usually a bit on the high side of the actual current ones.

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 16:06:28 CST
Subject: Re: Any experience with Touche?

>Please email or post if you know anything about Touche Computers
>(a PC Pros company).  They advertise in Computer Shopper and Computer
>Monthly.

	Yeah...Don't bother! They tried the old bait n switch on me with an
AMI 386-20SX Motherboard.  Drove 30 Miles to get it and was told someone
"accidently sold it out of the box" they set aside for me.  I just called 2
hours prior to double check it was there.  Turns out they never had the 20MHZ
boards in yet.  Told them to F... Off!   Read where they have some outstanding
complaints against them.

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 13:56:27 EST
Subject: PC Pros/Touche

Saw your post about the PC Pros/Touche guys.  I looked at them last April
for much the same reasons as you.  But they were terrible about returning
phone calls and other basic information.  I agree that they machine you
want to buy is a great choice, so I started looking for an alternative
source.  I found one right here in Columbus [OH]!  Try Columbus Micro Systems.
They were up on 161, but just moved to a larger building so I don't know
if I still have the right phone number.  Try [614]794-1981.
Or call information.

Your mileage may vary.

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (03/02/91)

  The ONLY problem I had with my PC Pros 386/33 was a bad power cord.
(WHICH, btw, they replaced via FedEx.)
  I received prompt service from them.
  When I called to find out about the machine, before I ordered it,
the saleman was knowledgeable and didn't mis-represent anything.
  The machine arrive on my doorstep ONE DAY after they said they
were shipping it.  (Which date they gave as about a week after I
placed my order, and they were right on time.)
  I have the older Orchid ProDesigner board in it, and it is just
fine (and not "something to stay away from" line SOME weenie put
it), albeit limited to 1024x768x16.
  I got a great machine, at a great price, and great followup
service.
  Go ahead, call Gateway, pay more, and wait longer.
  Ditto Zeos.
  Ditto Northgate.
  Or did everyone suddenly forget all the problems, reported on the
net, about THOSE companies.