[misc.forsale.computers] FAQ List proposal

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (04/14/91)

In article <SWANSONC.91Apr12192036@grendel3.acc.stolaf.edu> swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) writes:
>P.S.  How about an "alert" posting that records the names of abusers
>here and is posted like an FAQ.  However, I realize it could be
>abused, any ideas to prevent that?

You're right, it would be very easy to abuse.  So how about the
reverse?  A FAQ is posted that includes a list of people that ARE NOT
abusers.  Whenever two people successfully arrange a sale, they both
recommend each other as honest buyers/sellers to the list.  For a
person to get on the list they have to be recommended by one or more
people.  To keep everyone honest, the recommendee is matched to the
recommended.  This way if someone feels uneasy about buying or selling
something they can check the list for other people that may have dealt
with the buyer/seller.  This system encouages the positive aspects
rather than the negative aspects.

A single centralized list can be much better than each person to
simply maintain a list of references.

A FAQ can also include a list of ways to conduct buying and selling.
The pros and cons of CODs, shipping, insurance, etc.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony