[comp.sys.amiga.games] Carrier Command

jklopcic@ibd.BRL.MIL (J. Thaddeus Klopcic) (06/01/90)

	Does anyone still play Carrier Command?  I picked up this game on a
friend's reccomendation, and I'm hooked.  I even listen to the extended dance
remix of the theme song that came with the game.  My question is:  Can the
computer be beaten?  How many years should I expect this to take.  My only
problem is that the carrier takes too long to get anywhere.  I can leave and
get a snack while I'm waiting to arrive at the next island.
				JTK

bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) (06/04/90)

In article <420@ibd.BRL.MIL> jklopcic@brl.arpa (J. Thaddeus Klopcic (IBD Summer|I.Stobie) <jklopcic>) writes:

>	Does anyone still play Carrier Command?  I picked up this game on a
>friend's reccomendation, and I'm hooked.  I even listen to the extended dance
>remix of the theme song that came with the game.  My question is:  Can the
>computer be beaten?

Sure, it can be beaten quite easily.  All you have to do is load up some
fighters with all the missles they can carry.  Cruise on over and blast away.
I can usually take the carrier out with 1-2 fighters loaded down like this.
Incidentally, that is also how you take out the enemy bases, unless their
command post door faces the ocean.  If that's the case, just cruise up with
a tank loaded with a virus bomb and take it over.  It's quite a lot of fun
to load up a tank with missiles and drive across an enemy island blasting away.
You won't live long, but it's a gas - especially if you swivel the turret and
keep moving.  Great coordination practive.

>                     How many years should I expect this to take.

Oh, about .0001 years.  (See above 8->)  Really, the game is kind of
dissapointing after you become skilled at taking out the carrier with a
lowly fighter.  Doesn't take a lot of practice.

>                                                                   My only
>problem is that the carrier takes too long to get anywhere.  I can leave and
>get a snack while I'm waiting to arrive at the next island.

That's true, but remember to set the default speed for autopilot.  It's
beginning setting is less than full throttle.  My biggest gripe is that the
carrier can go almost as fast as fighters.  You can't catch the enemy carrier
with a fighter.  It's fun to guess where he's going and send 3-4 fighters on
patrol to scan for him.  Really fun to find him like that heading for an
island that you control and blast him!

Great game that I keep going back to, although it's a bit of a dissapointment
when it's so easy to take out the enemy carrier.
--
------------------------------\     / ..and Apple thought GUI was theirs!.. \
 emory!stiatl!bgi  841-4169    \---| Yer local zymurgist & Amiga hacker/user |