[comp.sys.amiga.games] Falcon 1.0 --> 1.1

gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (06/04/90)

Well, I went and bought Falcon yesterday.  I am very, very displeased.
I got all of the 1.1 documentation, but it turns out that I received
1.0 disks.  To put it mildly 1.0 is a piece of shit.  I assume that
there are vast improvements between 1.0 and 1.1?  I was planning on
putting it on my hard drive, but found out quite soon that I had received
an older version.  Yet another example of stupid assumptions made by
some games programmers.  It had to be harder for them to write it so
that it couldn't run on a hard drive, than it would have been to write it
correctly.

Question:  Can I obtain the update from them (for free that is)?
Question:  How much better is 1.1 than 1.0?  Any complaints?

			Thanks, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
565 South Zeeb Rd.         | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Ann Arbor, MI 48103        | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 662-1506

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (06/04/90)

I too bought Falcon, albeit a year and a half ago.

It took them about a year to send me an update (the 1.1) and well, I saw
few changes (except that my disk 2 did not occasionally give me a
recoverable r/w error).

What I would suggest (unfortunately, it's too late  for you) but the best
one to get now is F-29 Retaliator. Made by the same folks, it's much MUCH
better... more responsive and better screen flow (of course, the F-29
Retaliator IS more responsive...) but the game  is a HELL of a lot
better... and is really great. You go through 4 areas of the world, each
with 8 missions, each mission with 4+ different stages, up to 8 total
stages. It's really quite expansive and well done.

However this game relies on the  battle aspect (of course, why else would
you want it?)

Because of that, I would suggest for a straight flight simulator, the
classic one and only FS2, which I still love to play (especially flying
through the golden gate bridge)

/\/\ofo

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (06/05/90)

In article <2492@zipeecs.umich.edu>, gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
> Well, I went and bought Falcon yesterday.  I am very, very displeased.
> I got all of the 1.1 documentation, but it turns out that I received
> 1.0 disks.  To put it mildly 1.0 is a piece of shit.  I assume that

Is it that bad?  Well, 1.0 is if you have anything other than a 68000, since
it won't run.  ;-)

> there are vast improvements between 1.0 and 1.1?  I was planning on

Well, it runs on the '010 now... :-)  There are some other minor changes;
I think an article in Amazing Computing talked about some of them in the
review to Op. Counterstrike.  The game is pretty much the same, I guess.

> putting it on my hard drive, but found out quite soon that I had received
> an older version.  Yet another example of stupid assumptions made by
> some games programmers.  It had to be harder for them to write it so
> that it couldn't run on a hard drive, than it would have been to write it
> correctly.
>
> Question:  Can I obtain the update from them (for free that is)?

They charge something real cheap, like $3 or so, if you just bought
the game and send in the registration card.  Give 'em a call.

BTW, they're up to version 1.2 now.

> Question:  How much better is 1.1 than 1.0?  Any complaints?

Well, the '010 fix was a big improvement.  All I can say is that updating
the game for things like this is a lot better than many other game companies
will do.  I guess Spectrum Holobyte wants their customers to think of them
again.  :-)  If it's not good enough, maybe you can bug them about hard
drive support when you call.  :-)

It seems like a complicated, but interesting simulation.  I only wish the
frame-rate was a bit faster (especially on the 3000, it's not too fast, but
at least it's faster, so I guess I shouldn't complain; y'all may think I'm
crazy, but I think a jet simulator is the perfect application for the Amiga
3000.  :-).  Anyway, I just started playing Falcon, and it was pretty fun, so
far.  I think I'll enjoy it a lot more than Jet (sigh).

(I also wonder if I'll ever be happy with less than 30 fps. ;-)

> 			Thanks, Ralph
Gary Wolfe
uflorida!unf7!tlvx!sysop, unf7!tlvx!sysop@bikini.cis.ufl.edu