[comp.sys.amiga.games] Rating system for Amiga games

rhunt@icard.med.unc.edu (Rick Hunt) (06/05/90)

How about a rating system set up like the ones in rec.games.video and
rec.arts.movies?  I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to set that
up, but maybe there would be someone with the knowledge, time and desire.
(Yeah, right :-)  Everyone could send in their votes and they would be
compiled into a master list.

For those who haven't seen the ratings list they are compiled from votes
on a scale of 1 to 10.  Then the percentage of each vote and the total
and average is displayed something like this.

Empire     124    0000001234   8.8
Federation  12    2350000000   2.5

Does anyone think we could put together a ratings list like this?

					Rick Hunt
					rhunt@med.unc.edu

In article <305@uncmed.med.unc.edu> rhunt@uncmed.med.unc.edu (Rick Hunt) writes:
>How about a rating system set up like the ones in rec.games.video and
>rec.arts.movies?  I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to set that
>up, but maybe there would be someone with the knowledge, time and desire.
>(Yeah, right :-)  Everyone could send in their votes and they would be
>compiled into a master list.
>
>For those who haven't seen the ratings list they are compiled from votes
>on a scale of 1 to 10.  Then the percentage of each vote and the total
>and average is displayed something like this.
>
>Empire     124    0000001234   8.8
>Federation  12    2350000000   2.5
>
>Does anyone think we could put together a ratings list like this?
>
>					Rick Hunt
>					rhunt@med.unc.edu

What you ask for could be useful too, but what I would like to see along
this line is a table, posted once a month or so like other newsgroups
"frequently asked questions" postings, and extended as new games
come along, that rates the games about such parameters as:

AmigaDOS versions it runs under.
Amiga hardware it needs/runs on.
Mouse, joystick, keyboard, or what used for control?
Bug free or minor bugs or system crashers.
Type of game: arcade, adventure, puzzle, etc.
  (Creating an agreed upon classification scheme could be the hard part.)
Copy protection scheme, if any.  How annoying is it?
Does it need a warm/cold boot to start?  To exit?
Does it multitask?  If so, how much memory does it use?
Can it be run from a harddisk?  Which ones!
Can it be run from Rad:?
List price.  Mail order price.
How long does it take to play a game.
Is it a "shows off the Amiga game", so-so, or a dud port?
A _brief_ comment about playability.

I'm sure others could add to this list.  Do we have a volunteer?

Kent, the man from xanth.

jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) (06/06/90)

In article <305@uncmed.med.unc.edu> rhunt@uncmed.med.unc.edu (Rick Hunt) writes:
>How about a rating system set up like the ones in rec.games.video and
>rec.arts.movies?  I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to set that
>up, but maybe there would be someone with the knowledge, time and desire.
>(Yeah, right :-)  Everyone could send in their votes and they would be
>compiled into a master list.
>
>For those who haven't seen the ratings list they are compiled from votes
>on a scale of 1 to 10.  Then the percentage of each vote and the total
>and average is displayed something like this.
>
>Empire     124    0000001234   8.8
>Federation  12    2350000000   2.5
>
>Does anyone think we could put together a ratings list like this?
>
>					Rick Hunt
>					rhunt@med.unc.edu

I was planning on doing something like that but on a more expansive setup
though I don't know if I know enough programming to setup something like
that.  What I was thinking was on the lines of besides the ratings, possibly
a checklist of type of copy protection (i.e. disk based, manual lookup,
code wheel, etc.), hard drive installable, 1-2 drives, multitasking, etc.
Also to possibly keep a description or comment page of games as I am sure
a lot of people would like to find out if they might like the game before
buying than just trying to find out from the back of the box.

If netters like this idea I might just set up the whole thing initially as text
files and people could ftp them from our site (with the permission of the spud
in charge..8-)...) or I could e-mail specific requests to those who can't ftp
and then later get write program to make it easier to browse through the
list (depending if I can program it...8-)..).

    //  ||   Hardware : A2000, 3 megs, 2 internal 3 1/2" drives
\\ //   ||   Future Purchases : SCSI Controller, 40-60 meg harddrives, A3000
 \X/	||   jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu or jimmy@uhccux.bitnet