[comp.sys.amiga.games] Strategy anyone?

edgar@csri.toronto.edu (Edgar LeBel) (06/04/90)

I am interested in two-player strategy games for the Amiga.  I have played
Empire to death and need a new thrill.  I noticed in a mail-order house
ad that there are games by the names of Austerlitz, Borodino, and others that
I have never heard anything about.  Does anybody know anything about these
or other strategy games?

Hobie Orris

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (06/04/90)

Well lesseeee.......................

to begin with, Empire v3.0 was released about a week ago and has a LOT of
changes to it (a lot faster for one thing)

going back in time, I always loved Star Fleet I & II (but you've probalbly
exhausted them)

otherwise, EXACTLY what kind of strategy are you talking about? STRICT
wargames? Or what?

Austerlitz isn't a bad game, it's an new port of an OLD game that was
somewhat popular. Borodino is [supposedly] awful... a friend of mine eats
wargames for breakfast and hated it. And he'll play anything.

/\/\ofo
"hey, let mikey try it... he won't eat anything"

bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) (06/05/90)

In article <MOFO.90Jun4093943@bucsf.bu.edu> mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) writes:
>to begin with, Empire v3.0 was released about a week ago and has a LOT of
>changes to it (a lot faster for one thing)

Which Empire are you talking about?  I just called Interstel and they said
the current release of Empire was still 2.05.  Version 3, which he referred
to as Empire II is due out fall next year.
--
------------------------------\     / ..and Apple thought GUI was theirs!.. \
 emory!stiatl!bgi  841-4169    \---| Yer local zymurgist & Amiga hacker/user |

slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun4.085317.12810@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> edgar@csri.toronto.edu (Edgar LeBel) writes:
>I am interested in two-player strategy games for the Amiga.  I have played
>Empire to death and need a new thrill.  I noticed in a mail-order house
>ad that there are games by the names of Austerlitz, Borodino, and others that
>I have never heard anything about.  Does anybody know anything about these
>or other strategy games?
>
>Hobie Orris

A friend and I have been playing "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" and enjoying
it immensely. The detail and strategy are fairly rich.

The most obvious drawback is that it is not at all "Amiga-ized". It doesn't
use the mouse or menus at all, though there are many game functions which would
have benefited.

A possible second drawback, depending on your point of view, is that it takes
a long time to play a complete game; we played once or twice a week for
weeks on our first engagement.

If you enjoyed Empire, I think that you will find the strategy of "Romance
of the Three Kingdoms" more satisfying. The development of territories is
more detailed. In addition, I think there is much more room for strategy
and tactics in battle situations, a point where I found "Empire" lacking.

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (06/07/90)

In article <11454@hoptoad.uucp>, slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa) writes...
^In article <1990Jun4.085317.12810@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> edgar@csri.toronto.edu (Edgar LeBel) writes:
^>I am interested in two-player strategy games for the Amiga.  I have played
^>Empire to death and need a new thrill.  I noticed in a mail-order house
^>ad that there are games by the names of Austerlitz, Borodino, and others that
^>I have never heard anything about.  Does anybody know anything about these
^>or other strategy games?
^>
^>Hobie Orris
^
[...]

Er, I beg to differ.  In general I thought the game to be too detailed and in
general unenjoyable.  I for one have very little desire to keep track of  20-30
generals and their statistics as well as 20+ provinces.  You need a bloodly
spreadsheet to keep things in order and the damn game does not multitask (so
you can use a spread sheet ;-) ).

You're right - it isn't amigized at all.  Isn't the manual the IBM version wih
an extra Amiga sheet?  I can't recall since I returned the game.

A much better game IMHO is Nobunaga's Ambition (also from Koei) and I've heard
that Bandit Kings Of China is also better.  You might want to try the cinemaware
japanese game as well (Lords of the Rising Sun) even if it is more simplistic.

For the 60+ bucks they are asking for Romance I'd check it out to make sure it
is the right game for you.  I was lucky enough to be able to return mine.

NT

BTW:  Romance required 1 meg.

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa) (06/08/90)

>In article <11454@hoptoad.uucp>, slc@hoptoad.uucp I wrote...
>^In article <1990Jun4.085317.12810@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> edgar@csri.toronto.edu (Edgar LeBel) writes:
>^>I am interested in two-player strategy games for the Amiga.  I have played
>^>Empire to death and need a new thrill.  I noticed in a mail-order house
>^>ad that there are games by the names of Austerlitz, Borodino, and others that
>^>I have never heard anything about.  Does anybody know anything about these
>^>or other strategy games?
>^>
>^>Hobie Orris
>^
>^A friend and I have been playing "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" and enjoying
>^it immensely. The detail and strategy are fairly rich.
>^
>^The most obvious drawback is that it is not at all "Amiga-ized". It doesn't
>^use the mouse or menus at all, though there are many game functions which would
>^have benefited.
>^
>^A possible second drawback, depending on your point of view, is that it takes
>^a long time to play a complete game; we played once or twice a week for
>^weeks on our first engagement.
>^
>^If you enjoyed Empire, I think that you will find the strategy of "Romance
>^of the Three Kingdoms" more satisfying. The development of territories is
>^more detailed. In addition, I think there is much more room for strategy
>^and tactics in battle situations, a point where I found "Empire" lacking
>
>Er, I beg to differ.  In general I thought the game to be too detailed and in
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^
               I can't argue with your point other than to say it's a matter
               of taste. I enjoy the detail, but I can see that not everyone
               would.
>general unenjoyable.  I for one have very little desire to keep track of  20-30
>generals and their statistics as well as 20+ provinces.  You need a bloodly
>spreadsheet to keep things in order and the damn game does not multitask (so
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Actually, it does (on my 2000 and my friend's 1000). But it doesn't
  close its screen when you finish so you have to reboot anyway.

>you can use a spread sheet ;-) ).
 I wanted to be able to track things better, so I wrote some APL programs
 to pull apart the SAVEDGAME file and print statistics on generals.
 It was a fun exercise in reverse engineering.

>You're right - it isn't amigized at all.  Isn't the manual the IBM version wih
>an extra Amiga sheet?  I can't recall since I returned the game.
>
>A much better game IMHO is Nobunaga's Ambition (also from Koei) and I've heard
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>that Bandit Kings Of China is also better.  You might want to try the cinemaware
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 Can you say more about these games?

>japanese game as well (Lords of the Rising Sun) even if it is more simplistic.
>
>For the 60+ bucks they are asking for Romance I'd check it out to make sure it
        ^^^^^^^^^
 $40.76 from Abel Supply. Of course, since it's mail order you can't return
 it if you don't like it.

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (06/08/90)

In article <11455@hoptoad.uucp> slc@hoptoad.UUCP (Steve Costa) writes:
> I wanted to be able to track things better, so I wrote some APL programs
> to pull apart the SAVEDGAME file and print statistics on generals.

Do you have APL on the Amiga?  Where did you get it?  Is it any good?
Fast?  Good system interface?   Tell me more!   -- Darren