[comp.sys.amiga.games] Anyone heard Of MORIA

barton@latcs1.oz.au (The Wasp) (06/09/90)

I have seen Moria on one of the unix systems here and like it a lot!

I am a fan of nethack, and Omega etc and would love to have this baby on
the amiga at home!

Anyone know of a port of it?  There are docs for this version (v5.2) which
apply to porting it to such 'puters as Mac, TS-IRATA an IBM-PC but nothing
for the amiga....

Doug
barton@latcs1.oz.au

cg377170@cygnus.uucp (Corey Gehman) (06/11/90)

Yes, I'm porting it now.  I've got one known bug and have to add a cursor
and the beta (alpha?) version will be done.  I've talked to the author and
he said it will probably take him a month to add the source corrections to
his version.  As soon as I fixed the bug (hopefully today) and at least think
about adding a cursor again I'll be looking for a few beta testers.  I would
prefer people who have experience with the unix version.  If anyone's
interested send me some e-mail.

I would like to make one comment about my port though.  It is NOT a typical
amiga port.  It looks (hopefully) exactly like the unix version as it was
intended to.  If you want a flashly game write to the author of Amiga
Moria to update it.

Also while I'm at it.  Moria NEEDS a 80x24 screen, does anyone know of a
public domain font that will get a 80x24 terminal in a normal workbench
window?  Right now, I'm opening a screen but I'd like to use just a window.

Please don't follow up this to comp.sys.amiga since I don't have all day
just to read the news.

--
Corey Gehman
cg377170@eng.clemson.edu

pstaffor@ics.uci.edu (Paul Douglas Stafford) (06/11/90)

In <9289@hubcap.clemson.edu> cg377170@cygnus.uucp (Corey Gehman) writes:

>Yes, I'm porting it now.  I've got one known bug and have to add a cursor

Unfortunately, a version of MORIA has ALREADY been ported to the Amiga, and
I must say, It's an excellent port.  You should check with the authors:

  Richard Henderson
  2527 Hazelwood Ave.
  Kettering Ohio
  45419

It's an extraordinarily well-ported game which DOES support the Amiga features
instead of trying to emulate Unix's weak text version.

L8er
Paul

In article <2672A8E1.27160@paris.ics.uci.edu> pstaffor@ics.uci.edu (Paul Douglas Stafford) writes:
>In <9289@hubcap.clemson.edu> cg377170@cygnus.uucp (Corey Gehman) writes:
>>Yes, I'm porting it now.  I've got one known bug and have to add a cursor
>Unfortunately, a version of MORIA has ALREADY been ported to the Amiga, and
>I must say, It's an excellent port.  You should check with the authors:
>
>It's an extraordinarily well-ported game which DOES support the Amiga features
>instead of trying to emulate Unix's weak text version.

Your quite right about the Amiga Moria, but that is *ALMOST* version 4.87
(I believe) and this is version 5.2.1 (About two weeks old).  It's *ALMOST*
version 4.87 (or whatever) because the author of Amiga Moria decided to change
some of the things in the games, for example he added one weapon which isn't
in it with the other versions.  The idea behind my port is so that the source
code of umoria, which is still being developed right now, will have the amiga
port in it.  So when the author of umoria adds to the game it will auto-
matically work (hopefully) on the Amiga.  That way the Amiga version won't
be several versions behind all the time.  Also, to my knowledge, the source
code is not available for the Amiga Moria, the source code for umoria with
the Amiga port in it will be.  The Amiga Moria is very nice, although I hate
the pictures being loaded, but the graphics for characters and buildings are
well done and looks great.  Basically, it comes down to how much is the nice
pictures worth versus the most uptodate version and having the source code.
Everyone can decide for themselves.

ps. I found my bug, so except for not having a cursor, I think the port is done.

--
Corey Gehman
cg377170@eng.clemson.edu  (or if that bounces try oronnie@hubcap.clemson.edu)

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (06/11/90)

In article <9289@hubcap.clemson.edu>, cg377170@cygnus.uucp (Corey Gehman) writes:

> Yes, I'm porting it now.  I've got one known bug and have to add a cursor
> and the beta (alpha?) version will be done.  I've talked to the author and

Not to discourage you, but Moria for the Amiga has been available for quite
awhile (datestamps on my files are Nov 6, 1988).  It is really an excellent
job, and has nicely done "font graphic" characters, and a good Amiga "feel",
while still retaining the flavor of the original.

The most recent version I know of is v3.0, and it's probably on a FishDisk
somewhere.  The author was considering some further enhancements, so you might
try contacting him (address at the end of the attached README file).

/kim

                                Amiga Moria 3.0

1.0  Introduction

    Moria  is  a dungeon adventure game in the manner of Rogue, Hack, Larn,
etc., but not descended from Rogue.  Moria was originally created by Robert
Alan Koeneke for a VAX 780 (a supermini computer).  It is a game similar to
the  above  games  in  that it involves wizards, warriors, scroll, potions,
magic.  In order to win the game the player must perform certain tasks.  In
this  case he/she must destroy the Balrog that lurks in the lower levels of
the  dungeons  below  your village.  Moria, however is much bigger and more
detailed   than  the  other  D&D  type  games,  and  requires  considerable
dedication,  and  determination  to triumph over the forces of evil.  For a
much  more  detailed  description of Moria see the Moria documentation file
(MORIA.DOC).   The  specific  changes for this version are discussed in the
file MORIA_CHANGE.NOTES.

2.0  Moria Amiga Requirements

    In  order to play Moria, you must first configure your system properly.
Because  Moria  is  so  big and so complex, it can only be played on Amigas
with  at  LEAST  1  MEG  of  memory  (two  drives  are nice, but not really
necessary).

2.1  Stack Requirements

    If  you  are  going to play from CLI, which is what we recommend, it is
wise to set your stack to at least 30,000 (the simple rule is that if Moria
is  crashing  on  you, set your stack up as high as possible (200,000 or so
should  do  it).   Moria is now setup to look for the picture files and the
font  file  in  the  current  directory  and  then on a disk (device) named
"MORIA:".   When  running  from workbench, Moria will automatically set the
stack to 30,000.

2.2 Memory Requirements

    If the memory you have is:

    o 512K (or LESS):

	Go to your local Amiga store and BUY MORE MEMORY.

    o 512K to 1 MEG available:

	Moria MAY run, and it MAY NOT.  If you are just a little short on
	memory  the  only effect is that the pictures will not load.  The
	the  pictures are not required for the game, they just add to the
	atmosphere.   If  you  do  not  have  enough memory space for the
	pictures,  or  if  the  program cannot find the files, Moria will
	display  an  alert  box and then continue.  If Moria can not load
	the MORIA.FNT file then the game will abort.

    o 1 MEG to 1.5 MEG available:

	You  should  have  no  problem  running Moria from a disk or hard
	disk.  If you really want to save some play time load the picture
	files  TOWN.PIC,  DUNGEON1.PIC and DUNGEON2.PIC to ram:  and then
	cd to ram:  and run Moria from there.

    o 2 MEG+ available:

	You  can copy the picture files, font file and executable file to
	ram:  and assign MORIA:  to ram:.

2.3  Storage Requirements

    The  character files are now 60K, if saved on the town level, and 105K,
if  saved  while  in  the  dungeon.  If there's not enough room on the disk
Moria  will  abort the save operation and allow you to try again on another
disk.

    Moria  attempts  to  creates  a  character  file  icon  for  each saved
character.   The  character  file  icons only seem to work if the character
file  is  in  the  same  directory as the executable.  Moria now has a file
prompter  for loading and saving character files.  The file prompter allows
you  to  select  the  device,  subdirectory and file name for the character
file.

    If you have the following storage devices:

    o 1 Disk Drive:

	The  Moria  will fit on a disk with the picture files, font file,
	and the minimum necessary system files for a workbench disk.  The
	following  startup-sequence  is  a suggestion of how Moria can be
	started from a boot disk:

		c:run >NIL: c:SetAlert	;patch system
	 	c:FastMemFirst		; this is very important
	    	c:FF >NIL: -0		; start FastFonts
	    	c:stack 20000
            	moria

	This  startup-sequence  assumes  following  commands are in the c
	directory on the disk:

		FastMemFirst		FF
		run			SetAlert
		stack

	Moria uses the following libraries (in a directory called libs):

		ConHandler.library	diskfont.library
		icon.library		info.library
		mathtrans.library	version.library

	The disk should also have the following files in the L directory:

		ConHandler		Disk-Validator
		Ram-Handler

    o 2 (or more) disk drives:

	Create  a  disk  called  MORIA and place all of the picture files
	(#?.pic), the  font  file  (Moria.fnt) and the executable (Moria)
	onto  this  disk.  Boot from your favorite workbench disk.  Place
	the MORIA disk in the second drive.  To start Moria from CLI type
	'MORIA:Moria'.   Note  that  you  can  also specify the name of a
	Moria   character   file   on   the  startup  command  line  (ex.
	MORIA:Moria Chopper).  This will automatically load the specified
	character  file.   To  start  Moria from workbench, simply double
	click on the Moria icon or the icon of your Moria character file.

    o Hard Drive:

	Create  a  subdirectory for Moria on your hard drive.  Put all of
	the  picture  files  (#?.pic),  the font file (Moria.fnt) and the
	executable (Moria) into this subdirectory.  Add an assign command
	to  your startup-sequence to assign MORIA:  to your subdirectory.
	An example of this command is as follows:

	 	assign Moria: DH0:Games/Moria

	To  start  Moria  from CLI type 'MORIA:Moria'.  Note that you can
	also  specify  the  name of a Moria character file on the startup
	command line (ex.  MORIA:Moria Chopper).  This will automatically
	load   the   specified  character  file.   To  start  Moria  from
	workbench,  simply  double click on the Moria icon or the icon of
	your Moria character file.

2.4  Playing Moria

    Once   Moria  has  initialized  (after  starting  from  either  CLI  or
workbench) you can either create a new, or previously generated, character,
If you are creating a new character, type an 'n' on the keyboard, or select
item  from  the  menu.   If you want to continue playing a previously saved
character, type an 'o' command on the keyboard, or select the corresponding
menu  item.   A file prompter will then appear on the display and allow you
to  select  the  character  file  that  you  want to play.  The details for
playing  Moria  are  in  a  seperate documentation file called 'Moria.doc'.
You can quit from Moria at almost any time by typing <control> k.

3.0  Hints for the new Moria player

    1) Start with a half-troll warrior.  They have the best short-term life
       expectancy.  They can be used to acquire a 'feel' for the game.

    2) Purchase as much armor as possible.  Stay away from the magically
       enhanced  armor  at  the start of the game, it doesn't provide as
       good  a cost to performance ratio (upgrade those items later when
       every gold piece is not so vital).

    3) Buy armor for as many parts of the body as is available in the
       store: head, hands, arm (shield), body, feet, and around the body
       (cloak).

    4) Buy a few (as money permits) cure light wounds potions. They can
       save your life if you don't have the time to heal naturally.

    5) Buy a shovel (or pick).  These items help you acquire more gold
       during the game.  Later, items found in the dungeon can be sold
       to the stores for lots of gold.

    6) If you still have gold left, buy a weapon.  Cost is a reasonable
       indication of the capability of the weapon.  If your character
       has a relatively low strength, then be carefull not to buy a heavy
       weapon.  He/she won't be able to hit anything with it.

    7) Get a few spikes, they may come in handy if a nasty insists on
       getting close to you.

    8) Stay on the first level until your character is at least third
       or forth level.

    9) Don't save your character to RAM:, this is asking for trouble.
       For one thing if the system dies so does your character, not to
       mention that character files take lots of space.

4.0  History & Comments

    This  is  our  third  official  release,  with  some modification still
planned.   This  version  of  Moria  contains many changes to make the game
faster  and  smaller  (we  almost had to require 2 megs of memory).  If you
should  happen to come across any problems, please let us know, and we will
make  every  effort possible to rid the game of any nasty varmints (and no,
that doesn't mean we'll get rid of Lepricons, your stuck with them).  Also,
if  you  have any changes, or enhancements, that you would like to see in a
future  release,  let us know about it and we will see what we can do about
including them.

    The following list shows some of the possible enhancements that we are
considering.  If you have a preference for any of them, please let us know
ASAP.
	1) A map window to show the entire level (in a smaller view).
	2) Multi-player and/or multi-character versions.
	3) Futher game complexity (more spells,...)
	4) A monster dictionary, potion list, spell list, object list,...
	5) Special order store for custom made items.
	6) Catalog store, where you can special order items that the
	   stores don't have in stock.
	7) Sound (various klanks, klunks, grunts and moans).
	8) An all new SF based adventure game.

    This  version  of  Moria  is  based on the excellent BSD UNIX C port by
James E.  Wilson of UC Berkeley, which in turn is based on the original 4.8
VMS  Pascal sources written by Robert Koeneke, Jimmey Todd, Gary McAdoo and
others at the University of Oklahoma.

Send correspondence to:

	Richard Henderson
	2527 Hazelwood Ave.
	Kettering, Ohio
	45419

Or  leave  a  message  to  Richard  and/or Bryan Henderson on either of the
following bulletin boards:

	 Merical BBS              	   CA/CAUG
       1-513-237-1931 			1-216-581-2284
--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (06/11/90)

In article <9289@hubcap.clemson.edu> cg377170@eng.clemson.edu (Corey Gehman) writes:

>Yes, I'm porting it now.  I've got one known bug and have to add a cursor
>and the beta (alpha?) version will be done.  I've talked to the author and

Why are you bothering to port it?  There already exists an excellent
version of Moria for the Amiga.  It can be found on a Fish disk somewhere.

>Please don't follow up this to comp.sys.amiga since I don't have all day
>just to read the news.
>
>--
>Corey Gehman
>cg377170@eng.clemson.edu

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
565 South Zeeb Rd.         | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Ann Arbor, MI 48103        | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 662-1506