[comp.sys.amiga.games] Their Finest Hour and Shark Attack

ewing@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Ewing) (06/01/90)

Are _Their Finest_Hour_ (the Battle of Britain game from Lucasfilms)
and _Shark_Attack_ (Greg Norman's golf simulator from Melbourne
House) out on the Amiga yet ?

Dave Ewing                      "Act like a dumbshit and they'll
ewing@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com     treat you like an equal."

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (06/02/90)

I have _Their Finest Hour_ on my hard drive (an excellent game, by the way).

I've seen _Shark Attack_ on the shelves of one of the local software stores.

As there is a difference (sometimes) between the Canadian market and the
American, I don't know if _Shark Attack_ is out in the States yet.  I know that
_Their Finest Hour_ is out from all the talk about it on CIS.

--
     //    ///         CIS: 73200,3117         |  Meech:  Just say
   \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP  |  NO!

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (06/03/90)

In article <3154@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, ewing@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Ewing) writes:

> Are _Their Finest_Hour_ (the Battle of Britain game from Lucasfilms)
> and _Shark_Attack_ (Greg Norman's golf simulator from Melbourne
> House) out on the Amiga yet ?

Yes, on both counts.  I haven't seen the golf game running, but _Their
Finest_Hour_ seemed to work great on an Amiga 3000.  The airplane control was
sluggish, but not the frame rate.  We figured it must be sluggish due to
the simulation of a WW II plane, which wouldn't have the response of an
F-16, like the Jet games we're used to.  I dunno enough about it to
comment on it, but the A3000 is great for flight simulators.  :-)

(Note that the frame rate gets sped up, but not the game itself.  Apparently
SOME game companies are at least trying to Do It Right.  [See the discussions
about multitasking games on a nearby newsgroup.  Not that this game
multitasks, but hopefully it handles faster CPU's {I dunno if it does
or doesn't}.  It's a start. ;-])

You know, after the A3000 is released, it might be interesting to make a listing
of games that lists whether or not they multitask, and other such things.
(I'd like to see a listing of what will and won't run on the A3000 and non-68000
machines too, but the V2.0 OS question will have to wait.)  Meanwhile, I'm
very annoyed at games which won't run on my 68010.  I don't think there's any
excuse for a game not working with this CPU.  I don't think "because Commodore
never made a computer with one and therefore it's not supported" (which seemed
to be one person's opinion a while back) is valid, since if it breaks on the
'010, it'll break on the '020, '030, and future CPU's, if no other reason.
(And I can think of more! :-)  Anyway, I'd like to know which games will work
on my machine, because I'm not going to downgrade, just because of bad
programming habits.  Stop the madness now!  ;-)

As for making reviews, on rec.games.video, someone had some sort of review
program that automatically tallied people's votes, and printed a neato
listing.  (You send mail to an account, and it automatically tallies, I guess.)

> --
> Dave Ewing                      "Act like a dumbshit and they'll
> ewing@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com     treat you like an equal."
Gary "Sorry, I tend to ramble a bit.. but I do a good job of it" Wolfe
..uflorida!unf7!tlvx!sysop
Stop the madness!  Multitask before it's too late!

TCINT020@ysub.ysu.edu (Robert Noe) (06/04/90)

Shark Attack is indeed out in the States.  A good game for golf lovers.  It
allows you to control virtually every aspect of your swing and is very
entertaining.  Putting seems a bit easy and playing against Greg Norman shows
off that it may be too easy to knock long drives in as well although I havent
mastered the swing enough to do this myself.  Does anyone know of any course
disks that have real courses or of an architect program that would allow you
to build your own courses?

        Bob
           TCINT020 @ YSUB.YSU.EDU

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (06/04/90)

In article <3154@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> ewing@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Ewing) writes:

|Are _Their Finest_Hour_ (the Battle of Britain game from Lucasfilms)
|and _Shark_Attack_ (Greg Norman's golf simulator from Melbourne
|House) out on the Amiga yet ?

Thier Finest Hour is definately out.  Great game.  I played about 10 hours
this weekend and didn't scratch the surface of this thing yet.  Excellent
game.

Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

bud@ucrmath.ucr.edu (bud mckenzie) (06/06/90)

Shark Attack will not work with C.S.A.'s Midget Racer.  I called the
company and they are aware of the problem, but did not seem interested
at all in fixing it.  Too bad!

Bud.

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (06/14/90)

Shark Attack is the best golf game I have seen yet - I bought it right away.
Peter Kovach

Sig - We don't need no stinking sig!