[comp.sys.amiga.games] WHY NO ARCADE GAMES? WHY ARE YOU SO LATE?

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (06/11/90)

> Michel Buffa writes:
>
> [stuff deleted]
>
> ...it's like if nobody was playing arcade games.

Well, in a sense, they're not.  I think we North Americans differ from our
European "cousins" culturally; arcade games are seen more as amusement for
teenagers (I hope I don't offend any netters with that one!) whereas
simulations or roleplay games are seen more as mind "exercisers" for adults.

Personally, I prefer flight simulations, especially those which don't
necessarily have a theme (ie, Flight Simulator).  IMHO, arcade games are
mind-numbing....

> Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France
>
>     Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
> Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
>                     2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
>  Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

     //    ///         CIS: 73200,3117         |  Clyde Wells for
   \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP  |  Prime Minister!

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (06/11/90)

Well, I'm 25, and amiga newsgroups look like if everybody was very old. Maybe
I'm wrong, but as soon as there is a discussion about games, it's always
mainly about adventure or simulation games. Except of a few messages on this
newsgroup, it's like if nobody was playing arcade games. And it's like nobody
reads magazines about games. I'm the only one to talk about recent games ?
Here in France, we've got 4 magazines that talk about amiga games, with a lot
of previews, of tests.... When I see messages about 7 cities of gold... One
year ago I bought Amigaworld and there was an article about the best arcade
games. All the games were very old and they weren't at all the best games
choosen by European magazines the year before (Yes, Amigaworld was about one
year late about the games that were out at this time).

Maybe all arcade fans bought a genesis or a tg-16 ? In Europe, the Amiga is
still the best arcade machine (The consoles aren't available yet). But I'm
sure there are better arcade games on the Amiga than on the consoles. HAVE YOU
TRIED TURRICAN ? HAVE YOU TRIED BATTLE SQUADRON ? HAVE YOU TRIED DATASTORM ?
HAVE YOU TRIED STUNT CAR ?

Hey, tell me what are your favorite games ! I feel so lonely when I see 10
messages about MORIA, about COLONY (The worst game ever made), about all these
boring strategy games.....

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

tqhoang@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Toan Q. Hoang) (06/14/90)

I happened to like arcade games also.  But after reading a few article (mostly
simulators and strategy games) I didn't have much interest in reading more
about it.  I always have an interest in playing arcade games.  The first game
machine I got was Atari 2600, then Atari 800XL, then Commodore 64, and now
the Amiga 500, mostly because of the improvement of the graphics.  During these fe
few years with all of these game machines I still go out to arcade and play
a few games or two, just because I could never find these games on the computer.
Maybe I used to play games in the arcade and always have and always excited
to grab the joystick while playing the games, I just never have the patience
to sit for hour to read the text and follow through the map.  I always find
that I have more fun game when I have the Commodore 64 than with the Amiga
500 because you don't find much simulator or strategy games in the C64.
For example, if I want to play football, I want to play something that I
can MOVE, RUN, PASS in fast action, rather than thepick your option type.
Like TV SPORT FOOTBALL, you choose your plan, then start and when you want
to throw you stop and turn left or right before you pass.  It's just not as
fun to move slow like that (BUt the graphic is good but only if it's faster).
I don't understand how can Flight simulator be fun, you fly around do
a lot of stuff to change altitude, or whatever, but what is so fun about it?
A know a lot of people like Flight Simulator, so one time I told my friend to
show me something about it.  He said "this is pretty fun, you can fly almost
like a real pilot, and see thing almost like 3D", I said "that's pretty nice, b
but do you have something I can play with the joystick and thing I can explore."
I find games like BATTLE SQUADRON, SUPER MARIO BROS( not on Amiga), Old classic
like GALAGA, MERC(arcade) are fun, but not ULTIMA, FLIGHT SIMULATOR, MORIA, or
BARD'S TALE.  If I want strategy games, I would take my chess set and game
board out and start playing with someone.  But these are only in my opinion.

No sig file yet!

Toan Hoang

kpicott@sapporoalias.UUCP (Kevin Picott) (06/14/90)

In article <2071@mindlink.UUCP>, a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) writes:

> Personally, I prefer flight simulations, especially those which don't
> necessarily have a theme (ie, Flight Simulator).  IMHO, arcade games are
> mind-numbing....

Games in general are xxx-numbing, depending on how you approach them.  Playing
chess for hours on end without ever thinking of strategy, positioning, etc...
would also be mind-numbing.  Simulation games are (that is, can be)
imagination-numbing.  Everything is as close to reality as the technology
allows, so there is no creativity involved.

In the same way, arcade games can be used to build up hand-eye coordination
(debatably), and concentration (definitely).

If you are looking for something to stimulate it, you can find it in any type
of game.  If you are looking to be entertained, you can find that too.
Heck, sometimes you need to shift your brain into neutral and zap a few
aliens (who, curiously enough, resemble your grouchy next-door neighbour :-)

-- Socrates --

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (06/14/90)

 > for example, if I want to play football, I want to play something that I
 > can MOVE, RUN, PASS in fast action, rather than thepick your option type

Then my friend, you should play GRIDIRON!

Gridiron gets rid of the fancy graphics but allows a wuick, fast game of
football that TV Sports or 4th and Inches cannot do.

The best thing about Gridiron is that you can go indepth with it as much as
you want, all the way down to totally customizing every play.