[comp.sys.amiga.games] Seven Cities of Gold

dcheng@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Danny Cheng) (06/08/90)

I was wondering if anybody knows if SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD is out on the amiga.
I used to play it on my Apple //c (i sold it to buy the amiga) and now I
feel like playing it again.  All I remember it was made by Electronic Arts
and it came out at least a 4 years ago...thanks

dan
dcheng@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (06/09/90)

> dcheng@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <3202@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>
>
> Org.  : NCR Corporation, Systems Engineering - San Diego
> Person: Danny Cheng
>
> I was wondering if anybody knows if SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD is out on the amiga.
> I used to play it on my Apple //c (i sold it to buy the amiga) and now I
> feel like playing it again.  All I remember it was made by Electronic Arts
> and it came out at least a 4 years ago...thanks
>
> dan
> dcheng@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

It is available, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't run well under 1.3.

--
     //    ///         CIS: 73200,3117         |  Meech:  Just say
   \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP  |  NO!

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (06/11/90)

In article <2054@mindlink.UUCP>, a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) writes:
|> > dcheng@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM writes:
|> >
|> > Msg-ID: <3202@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>
|> >
|> > Org.  : NCR Corporation, Systems Engineering - San Diego
|> > Person: Danny Cheng
|> >
|> > I was wondering if anybody knows if SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD is out on
the amiga.
|> > I used to play it on my Apple //c (i sold it to buy the amiga) and now I
|> > feel like playing it again.  All I remember it was made by Electronic Arts
|> > and it came out at least a 4 years ago...thanks
|> >
|> > dan
|> > dcheng@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
|>

|> It is available, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't run well under 1.3.

And if I remember correctly, this game was one of the very first to appear on
the Amiga, and compared to the recent games, it looks very poor. It was
exactly the same as the one on the Aplle 2 (poor graphics, pour sound effects
in the amiga standards)

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

Mark Lieb <sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> (06/12/90)

Don't ever underestimate the enjoyment of a game because its graphics and
sound aren't super-interlaced, stereo digitized at 22Mhz.  The essence of
a good game surpasses the need for those.  A great game is eccentuated by
them, a crappy game?...well a rose is a rose by any other name.

The game did come out very early.  It was run on KS 1.1 (or by today's
terminology OS 1.1) and was a very good -identicle- replication of the
Apple, Atari port.  The Atari version looked better than the Apple
version did (no flame, I have never owned an Atari, I owned a 2e, A1000,
and now an A500) and the Amiga version was good for its day.  You may be
able to get hold of it by posting a want ad, but I doubt it will run on
anything higher than 1.2 which gave it troubles.

Good luck, my version died quite a while ago.

				Mark Lieb

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/13/90)

  I still have my original but I have to ask myself
"WHY?". The  program was GREAT and still is. One
problem, though, it WILL NOT run under 1.3. I
believe that it would not even run under 1.2. I
think that I will try it again on 1.3 just to see if
it works. 'Twas an awesome game concept (so the
praphics sucked, so what?).

djh@dragon.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (06/15/90)

I disagree to what a previous netter said about 7 Cities of Gold. This,
Archon, and the terrible "One-On-One Basketball" were the first Amiga games
out. I loved 7 Cities; it had such a "you are there" feeling to it, I really
felt like I was lost in another world. The random terrain generator helped
keep the game very fresh. I loved the music as well - the horn theme was
great. I thought the graphics were fine; but if you look past this, you'll
find a game that has Tremendous staying power.

| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

dcheng@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Danny Cheng) (06/16/90)

I guess I will not be buying Seven Cities of Gold for the Amiga, for one I
can't find it anywhere, but I'm now wondering if it is currently available
for the IBM?

dan
dcheng@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM