[comp.sys.amiga.games] EXTASE Review: a fantastic game

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (07/02/90)

	       -----------------------
	               EXTASE
	       -----------------------
	      an original game by CRYO,
	 istributed in Europe by Virgin games

   Authors: The guys who made Captain Blood 2 years ago...

Well, yesterday I played for hours one of the most original game ever made.
In extase, one player compete against the computer or against another player.

It's a reflexion game, but so original! The concept is totally new: in
the middle of the screen  there is an android head. It's brain is dead and you
must send electric impulses to several parts of the brain in order to wake up
the different functions. In the first level you must reactivate the eyes, in
the second one, the Madness, in the third, the love, and so on.....
Each player plays on one side of the brain. Each level is like an electronic
circuit, with resistors, tracks,... impulse generators, doors. There are also
viruses who try to steal you certains necessary pieces like resistors, and
stop the impulses progression to the brain. It's very hard to describe, but
it's a very simple concept. However, certain levels are very complex to
achieve and the reflexion part is very important. In two players mode, each
player can steal resistors to the other player, adding more fun.
In  the one player mode, the game ends when you couldn't finish a level before
the computer. In two players mode, the game ends when both players couldn't
complete a level in time. One good thing is that you can play alone in the two
players mode, without being harassed by a computer opponent.

Each five levels, a code is given. 3 different computer levels.

The sound effects are terrific, with a different song for each level. Graphics
are cute with psychedelic colors. It's a real pleasure to see the face
expressions changing each time you activate one part of the brain. You see
the android crying, speaking, moving eyes....

This game has about 100 levels, and each level takes about 5 minutes to
complete (When you guessed how to complete it !) It's as addictive as tetris,
and as original as sentinel. This game is a winner ! The two players mode is a
lot of fun.

To all the people who are looking for a great original game, you must buy this
one !!!!!!!!

    PLAYABILITY:	10
    GRAPHICS:		9
    SOUND:		10
    MUSIC:		10
    ORIGINALITY:	10
    OVERALL:		10

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (07/04/90)

In article <8271@mirsa.inria.fr>, buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) writes:

> 	       -----------------------
> 	               EXTASE
> 	       -----------------------
> 	      an original game by CRYO,
                 ^^^^^^^^
    I'm not so sure...

> It's a reflexion game, but so original! The concept is totally new: in
> the middle of the screen  there is an android head. It's brain is dead and you
> must send electric impulses to several parts of the brain in order to wake up
> the different functions. In the first level you must reactivate the eyes, in
> the second one, the Madness, in the third, the love, and so on.....
> Each player plays on one side of the brain. Each level is like an electronic
> circuit, with resistors, tracks,... impulse generators, doors. There are also
> viruses who try to steal you certains necessary pieces like resistors, and
> stop the impulses progression to the brain. It's very hard to describe, but
>
> To all the people who are looking for a great original game, you must buy this
> one !!!!!!!!

> Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

 There was a game I picked up on the budget Amiga rack called 'Purple
Saturn Day' by Epyx. One of the contests seemed really familiar to
the game you are talking about. The play was awkward, controllable
only by a mouse and the computer was almost impossible to beat. Hey,
maybe they revamped this idea into a playable standalone.

-Steve M. Suhy

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (07/05/90)

Buffa) writes:

> > 	       -----------------------
> > 	               EXTASE
> > 	       -----------------------
> > 	      an original game by CRYO,
>                  ^^^^^^^^
>     I'm not so sure...
> >
> > It's a reflexion game, but so original! The concept is totally new: in
> > the middle of the screen  there is an android head. It's brain is
dead and you
> > must send electric impulses to several parts of the brain in order
to wake up
> > the different functions. In the first level you must reactivate the
eyes, in
> > the second one, the Madness, in the third, the love, and so on.....
> > Each player plays on one side of the brain. Each level is like an
electronic
> > circuit, with resistors, tracks,... impulse generators, doors. There
are also
> > viruses who try to steal you certains necessary pieces like resistors, and
> > stop the impulses progression to the brain. It's very hard to describe, but
> >
> > To all the people who are looking for a great original game, you
must buy this
> > one !!!!!!!!

> > Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France
> >

>  There was a game I picked up on the budget Amiga rack called 'Purple
> Saturn Day' by Epyx. One of the contests seemed really familiar to
> the game you are talking about. The play was awkward, controllable
> only by a mouse and the computer was almost impossible to beat. Hey,
> maybe they revamped this idea into a playable standalone.

Yes, I tried Purple Saturn Day when it was out, and it was terribly bad. A
real piece of shit. EXTASE is written by the same team, under another name,
but EXTASE IS REALLY GOOD: very PPLAYABLE and ADDICTIVE. I've been playing it
for one week and I never boot-up another game since I started playing EXTASE
with a friend. We reached level 10 yesterday. Each level is more tricky than
the previous one, the atmosphere is fantastic, with weird sound effects and
graphics.

EXTASE is a reflexion game, not an arcade game like Purple Saturn Day. It's a
game like Tetris: very simple but addictive. Purple Saturn Day was a kind of
Summer Games with weird graphics and original concept, but it was a big
failure. EXATASE is a winner ! Thrust me !