[comp.sys.amiga.games] Tennis Cup

jrc@sactoh0.UUCP (Joseph R. Castillo) (07/07/90)

    I was wondering if anyone in netland had tried the game
Tennis Cup by Electronic Zoo. If so, is it any good?

--
  Joseph Castillo
  jrc@sactoh0.UUCP

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (07/09/90)

In article <3458@sactoh0.UUCP>, jrc@sactoh0.UUCP (Joseph R. Castillo) writes:

>     I was wondering if anyone in netland had tried the game
> Tennis Cup by Electronic Zoo. If so, is it any good?
>
> --
>   Joseph Castillo
>   jrc@sactoh0.UUCP

     I picked up the game about 2 weeks ago. Excellent tennis simulator.
There are 3 levels of play speed (slow, medium, high) and customization
of players (ie. dividing up skill points into various strengths such as
backhand, forehand,...). You can play doubles which is a pretty nice
feature. You can also compete in many different tournaments as well
as 4 different court surfaces. You have opportunities to play low
seeded players as well as high seeded. I haven't been able to put
the game away since I purchased it. Out of 10, I give it a 9.

-Steve M. Suhy

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (07/09/90)

In article <25708@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C.
Fossum) writes:
> In article <3458@sactoh0.UUCP>, jrc@sactoh0.UUCP (Joseph R. Castillo) writes:
> >
> >     I was wondering if anyone in netland had tried the game
> > Tennis Cup by Electronic Zoo. If so, is it any good?
> >
> > --
> >   Joseph Castillo
> >   jrc@sactoh0.UUCP
>
>      I picked up the game about 2 weeks ago. Excellent tennis simulator.
> There are 3 levels of play speed (slow, medium, high) and customization
> of players (ie. dividing up skill points into various strengths such as
> backhand, forehand,...). You can play doubles which is a pretty nice
> feature. You can also compete in many different tournaments as well
> as 4 different court surfaces. You have opportunities to play low
> seeded players as well as high seeded. I haven't been able to put
> the game away since I purchased it. Out of 10, I give it a 9.

I've got Tennis Cup and TIE-BREAK. TIE-BREAK is many times better than tennis
cup. It can be played by 4 players at the same time. It's very addictive and a
lot of fun. I posted a review a few days ago. If people are interested I can
send reviews od EXTASE, TURRICAN, KICK-OFF 2, TIE-BREAK.

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (07/10/90)

In article <8358@mirsa.inria.fr> buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) writes:
>    I've got Tennis Cup and TIE-BREAK. TIE-BREAK is many times better than
> tennis cup. It can be played by 4 players at the same time. It's very

The thing that has bugged me ever since the original Tie-Break came out (in
a box shaped like a tennis ball can) and remains in the current version is
that you cannot control movement of the players!

I much rather like playing Tennis Cup doubles because you can poach (when
you cross over to your partner's side of the court on a service return to
slam it down your opponent's throat)... unlike Tie Break, where your player
runs to where the computer decides...

Besides, how often do you ever get 4 people together, and have the joystick
adapter?

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (07/10/90)

Buffa) writes:
> >    I've got Tennis Cup and TIE-BREAK. TIE-BREAK is many times better than
> > tennis cup. It can be played by 4 players at the same time. It's very
>
> The thing that has bugged me ever since the original Tie-Break came out (in
> a box shaped like a tennis ball can) and remains in the current version is
> that you cannot control movement of the players!

Did you play it ? I had the same reaction when I played it first, but this
original control is great ! In tennis cup, sometimes you are sure that you are
going to get the ball, and for an extraordinary reason you miss it. It's very
frustrating ! In TIE-BREAK, you control much better the different effects when
you hit the ball. You control also the strength (you can't do that in tennis
cup)

> I much rather like playing Tennis Cup doubles because you can poach (when
> you cross over to your partner's side of the court on a service return to
> slam it down your opponent's throat)... unlike Tie Break, where your player
> runs to where the computer decides...

You can decide if you want to attack or defend. TIE-BREAK is more playable
than tennis cup. Every time my friends tried Tennis Cup, they couldn't master
the game in one evening. With TIE-BREAK, we could enjoy playing tennis in less
than ten minutes. That doesn't mean that it's a too much simple game. It's
just better designed. Definately, TIE-BREAK is better than Tennis Cup !

> Besides, how often do you ever get 4 people together, and have the joystick
> adapter?

Every day. I live in a house with 3 friends, and there is always one more
friend to complete the teams. Even for 3 or 2 players, the game is enjoyable.