[comp.sys.amiga.games] Whatever happened to Dungeon Master followups?

jcmorehead@lion.uwaterloo.ca (James Christopher Morehead) (05/31/90)

I long ago solved Dungeon Master and am anxiously awaiting follow-up
products (I heard rumours, long ago, of Dungeon Master--The Deeper Dungeons
and a space adventure, but have seen zip)

Anyone heard anything??

later
		james "max" morehead

pdbeam@watserv1.waterloo.edu (T.C.) (05/31/90)

FTL came out with the follow-up to Dungeon Master, called "Chaos' Revenge" (or
something like that) for the Atari ST last year.  Hopefully we'll see an Amiga
version (with better sound and graphics maybe?) some time soon.  It looks much
the same as the original Dungeon Master, but the easiest level in "Chaos" is
apparently as hard as the hardest level in DM.

Travis Capener
c/o PDBEAM @ watserv1

--

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (05/31/90)

In article <1990May30.193146.7921@watserv1.waterloo.edu> pdbeam@watserv1.waterloo.edu (T.C.) writes:

>FTL came out with the follow-up to Dungeon Master, called "Chaos' Revenge" (or
>something like that) for the Atari ST last year.  Hopefully we'll see an Amiga
>version (with better sound and graphics maybe?) some time soon.  It looks much
>the same as the original Dungeon Master, but the easiest level in "Chaos" is
>apparently as hard as the hardest level in DM.

Chaos Strikes Back is currently in Beta testing
still. I know of people in West Germany that have
copies of the Beta version and have seen Chaos
Strikes Back listed in an add in AmigaWorld. It will
be out very soon.

wakres01@pa.usl.edu (1712 Stelly John B) (05/31/90)

THe sequel to dungeonmaster is called:
Chaos Strikes Back
and is available for the Atari ST NOW!
It is supposed to be out sometime this summer for the Amiga, according to
a person I spoke to some time ago on the phone at FTL.

John B Stelly III
wakres01@pa.usl.edu

hinker@acl.lanl.gov (Paul J. Hinker) (05/31/90)

    I've been calling lots of the mail order houses recently with just this
question and have been getting a plethora of responses.  Everything from:
'It should be here next week' to  'We don't expect it until Christmas'

    As mentioned before, it is out for the Atari St.
--
---- Paul Hinker ---- hinker@acl.lanl.gov ---- hinker@nmtvax.nmt.edu ----
Ph (W): (505) 665-1907 :: !! Coming Soon for the Amiga !! The  Ultimate :

nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se (Ron Birk) (06/01/90)

All I know is that Chaos Strike Back, (more levels to dungeon master) have
already come to the ST and will come to the Amiga soon.

Dungeon Master II, wil come some year and will propably be in space?!?

Ron Birk, nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/03/90)

 Dungeon Master II: Chaos Strikes Back is not set in
space according to my friend that has it. It will
also be awhile before the Amiga release sees the
light of day accrding to another friend that called
FTL recently.

nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se (Ron Birk) (06/03/90)

I think you misunderstand me! Dungeon Master II and Chaos Strikes back
is not the same game!! Chaos is an expansion set for DM I.

Thats what I know. Ron Birk.

torkel@sics.se (Torkel Franzen) (06/04/90)

In article <1990Jun3.093813.16740@nada.kth.se> nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se
(Ron Birk) writes:

   >I think you misunderstand me! Dungeon Master II and Chaos Strikes back
   >is not the same game!! Chaos is an expansion set for DM I.

  Just a comment from a frustrated ST player of Chaos Strikes Back. It's
not strictly speaking an expansion set, since all the software is there to
play the game without ever having seen DM. However, the manual takes
for granted that you know the general rules about how to play the game
from DM - this applies in particular to casting spells.

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (06/04/90)

For the answer to when DMII will be out for the Amiga, the best
person to ask is the Receptionist at Software Heaven (San Diego).

(619)453-5711

If anyone's in the area, give them a ring and get details, then post.

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/05/90)

 No, I undertood you. I know that they are not the
same game. However, the friend that has a beta of
the game says that they are almost the same. I'll
let all of you know what it is like when I see it
for myself. I may have misunderstood the friend that
has the beta, I didn't really press him to be all
that specific about the game.

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (06/14/90)

in an article, Torkel Franzen writes -

>  Just a comment from a frustrated ST player of Chaos Strikes Back. It's
>not strictly speaking an expansion set, since all the software is there to
>play the game without ever having seen DM. However, the manual takes
>for granted that you know the general rules about how to play the game
>from DM - this applies in particular to casting spells.

Not true - DM never described spells either. You have to derive them yourself.
Peter Kovach

Sig - We don't need no stinking sig!

torkel@sics.se (Torkel Franzen) (06/14/90)

In article <76362@srcsip.UUCP> kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) writes:

>Not true - DM never described spells either. You have to derive them yourself.

  You must have played some custom-built version of DM! In the standard game,
you find various scrolls with the spells explained and defined. I guess it
would have been possible to find all spells by systematic trial and error,
but this would have been dreary in the extreme, in particular as regards
potions.

jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun14.015845.19532@sics.se> torkel@sics.se (Torkel Franzen) writes:
>In article <76362@srcsip.UUCP> kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) writes:
>
>>Not true - DM never described spells either. You have to derive them yourself.
>
>  You must have played some custom-built version of DM! In the standard game,
>you find various scrolls with the spells explained and defined. I guess it
>would have been possible to find all spells by systematic trial and error,
>but this would have been dreary in the extreme, in particular as regards
>potions.

8-)...I did that...

Made a list of all possible spells and went through all one by one.  I remember
doing it because people were mentioning about fireball spells and my guys were
only 2 or 3rd level running so I wanted to get the fireball right away.  Also
found all the spells that you don't get til later levels.

I wonder if Chaos Strikes Back will have new spells?  Lots of new spells
could be created.

    //  ||   Hardware : A2000, 3 megs, 2 internal 3 1/2" drives
\\ //   ||   Future Purchases : SCSI Controller, 40-60 meg harddrives, A3000
 \X/	||   jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu or jimmy@uhccux.bitnet

torkel@sics.se (Torkel Franzen) (06/14/90)

In article <8178@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
 (Jimmy Chan) writes:

   >I wonder if Chaos Strikes Back will have new spells?  Lots of new spells
   >could be created.

  I've been playing Chaos for some time, but there's been no hint so far
of any new spells. You find some scrolls, but they contain other
information.

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (06/15/90)

I misspoke. Yes, spells are found on various scrolls in the game. I also
derived some from the symbol description in the manual before I found the
scrolls for them.
Peter Kovach

Sig - We don't need no stinking sig!

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (07/11/90)

I have two questions on DM -

1) How do you get through the force field of level two which has the chest
behind it?

2) How do you kill the rock/timber creatures on level three? Dropping them
down the pit doesn't work because they come back through the teleporter.
Hitting them seems totally useless with club/sword/shuriken soooo - how do
I kill the suckers?? (fireball, etc does not seem to work either).

Thanks in advance!