[net.travel] NE Bed and Brkfsts - revisited

karla@drutx.UUCP (RikansrudKB) (11/20/85)

Since I can't send this to all who requested it, here's my
orginal query and the responses I received.  If people would
like to add to the list, send suggestions to me and I'll
compile and re-post later.   Thanks.  drutx!karla

>A friend of mine is traveling to New York City to meet another
>friend for the weekend of October 11th through the 14th.
>They plan on driving up to New England to "see the trees".
>
>Their itinerary is pretty open but they'd like to stay at Bed and
>Breakfast places along the way.  They'll be driving straight
>up the eastern edge of NY State, and are interested in any
>places in western Connecticut, western Massachusetts,
>Vermont or New Hampshire.  (They are also open to other
>suggestions if the end justifies the effort/expense.)
>
>Does anyone out in net.land have any suggestions for my friends?
>
> - Know of any good B&Bs in New England?
> - Any favorite roads you like to travel to see the trees
>   (that aren't *too* crowded with other lookers)?
> - Any restaurants you'd recommend that they mustn't miss?
> - Any other sights for the novice 'tree looker' but native Easterner?
>   (i.e., they've been to Boston, the Cape, and upstate NY,
>   they just haven't done a *real* New England fall vacation)
>
>Any information is really appreciated.  Thanks for your help.
>
                               >-Karla   drutx!karla

-----------------------------
Hi Karla,

Sorry about my mail message - Hurricane Gloria probably swept it away.
Anyways, I am a former New Englander, having grown up in Massachusetts
and Connecticut, and must say that Autumn is the best season for the
area. I took a trip up north on July 4 weekend and here are my
recommendations:

	Connecticut: Route 8 - starting from either Bridgeport or
		     Waterbury, it winds its way north to Lee, Mass.
		     - first as a highway and then a narrow winding
		     road - quite beautiful.

		     Route 7 - its nice too and goes from Norwalk, Conn
		     up through Mass and into Vermont. Northwestern
		     Conn and southwestern Mass are nice.

	Massachusetts: Route 7 - from Pittsfield up to Vermont is nice,
		       there is a lake just north of Pittsfield on Rt. 7
		       that's quite pretty at sunset.

		       In general, the Berkeshires are very beautiful
		       this time of the year - try Holyoke area.

	Vermont: Route 100 - take this road from Mass - Vermont border
		 going north - winding (but well maintained) and quite
	         picturesque. Many quaint towns along the way. This
	         is my favorite area.

	New Hampshire: White Mountains - rugged mountains that are
		       different from Vermont's Green Mountains, but
		       still have their charm. You can get there by
		       I-93 from Boston.

	Maine: Although its a trip, I highly recommend Bar Harbor Island
	       (actually a peninsula) which contain the Arcadia National
	       Park.

Good luck on your (or friends') trips,

Andy Shajenko
AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel, NJ
hotlx!aps
hotlv!aps
hou2f!andy
From: vax135!cornell!uw-beaver!tektronix!decvax!ittatc!ittvax!aouriri

I strongly recommend visiting the White Mountains in New Hampshire,
driving thru Route 102.