[comp.sys.amiga.games] "NEVERMIND" help

cfg@grad10.cs.duke.edu (Christopher F. Gandy) (07/10/90)

     You would think I would have listened to all the problems with
Shadow of the Beast, etc., but this one looked good on the store shelf
and was in my price range so I bought it. Naturally, it does not run.
HELP!

     I get the initial graphics screen of the alien pondering over a
globe of some sort, (though there is some slight flicker in the
picture - black spots under his right armpit flash white 3 times) and
then the screen goes black and after a second of disk whirring, I get
red letters on the black background telling me there is an "Error
reading Disk - check disk and hit fire to retry". Nothing works.

     I have a fairly standard 2000 setup. 1 Meg RAM. Only unusual
stuff is Supra 2400zi modem and XT bridgeboard, but since the game
disk is used instead of a workbench, they should not be a problem. (Or
are they?)

     Before I pack it up and return it (it was the only copy in the
store) and swear off Psygnosis forever, can anyone suggest a cause for
the problem or a solution? It looks like an interesting puzzle game.

     Thanks in advance.

* I won't grow up, not a penny will I pinch | Department of Computer Science,
* I will never grow a moustache, or a       | Duke University,
*       fraction of an inch.                | Durham, NC 27706
* Cause growing up is awfuller than all the |
*       awful things that ever were.        | ARPA:	cfg@cs.duke.edu
* I won't grow up, never grow up.....       | CSNET:	cfg@duke
*       Not ME!   (P. Pan & cfg)            | UUCP:	decvax!duke!cfg

pjb@tcom.stc.co.uk (Peter J. Bishop) (07/12/90)

In article <20696@duke.cs.duke.edu> cfg@grad10.cs.duke.edu (Christopher F. Gandy) writes:
>     I get the initial graphics screen of the alien pondering over a
>globe of some sort, (though there is some slight flicker in the
>picture - black spots under his right armpit flash white 3 times) and
>then the screen goes black and after a second of disk whirring, I get
>red letters on the black background telling me there is an "Error
>reading Disk - check disk and hit fire to retry". Nothing works.
>
>     I have a fairly standard 2000 setup. 1 Meg RAM. Only unusual
>stuff is Supra 2400zi modem and XT bridgeboard, but since the game
>disk is used instead of a workbench, they should not be a problem. (Or
>are they?)

I don't know about this game particularly but you seem to be relating exactly
the same problem as I have had with many other games.

The problem seems to lie with the 2000 itself. I also have a 2000 with an XT
bridgeboard and also a 30M hardcard both of which I removed to try to get
various games to run... NO JOY!

My final, and very drastic solution was to go out and buy a 500 purely for
running games. This has solved the problem, proving that the games themselves
are not faulty, only written in a non portable way.

There may be some Amiga experts out there who will blast my theory to pieces
but this is the experience that I have had.

It's bad news for 2000 owners but what can you do?

--
Peter Bishop.  <pjb@tcom.stc.co.uk> || ...!mcvax!ukc!stc!pjb
STC TSD-E, Engineering Services, 20-22 Edinburgh Way, Harlow. Essex CM20 2DE