[comp.sys.amiga.games] Dungeon Master questions

ameiba@reed.bitnet (Keith Steiger,L08,640,3578701) (07/13/90)

I just got Dungeon Master, and in a flurry of activity, I've gotten to what I
call Level 4 (the level below "Choose your door....")  I got all 6 gold keys,
so I'm carrying some around with me.  But my characters are only journeymen
in their primary class.  And I can NOT kill purple worms without HEAVY
fireballs--my hand-to-hand skills are NOT up to speed.  (I'm not supposed to
know fireball yet, but it wasn't too hard to guess).  Should I just sit in
place swinging my weapon for a while?  Or should I just go for awhile on
spell power alone until I get to the screamer-generator room?

Also, I saw what looked like a 3-foot-tall humanoid bee.  I panicked and cast
my prepared level 3 fireball, and it went down in a heap.  What was that?
How dangerous was it?

Also, could someone post a somewhat canonical spell list?  Many people would
be interested.  And if someone would mail me the IFF maps for the levels
below the Firestaff level, I would appreciate it.

P.S. I have heard that the "rabbit's foot" adds to an invisible stat which
this person calls "luck".  I don't know whether to believe him, but the
rabbit's foot fits in the left-hand pouch, so....

--
TTYL, Keith Steiger--ameiba@reed.BITNET, ameiba@reed.UUCP, tektronix!reed!ameiba
          "I am what you see.  Myself....  I cannot be otherwise."

jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason Freund) (07/14/90)

In article <15177@reed.UUCP>, ameiba@reed.bitnet (Keith Steiger,L08,640,3578701) writes:
> so I'm carrying some around with me.  But my characters are only journeymen
> in their primary class.  And I can NOT kill purple worms without HEAVY
> fireballs--my hand-to-hand skills are NOT up to speed.  (I'm not supposed to
> know fireball yet, but it wasn't too hard to guess).  Should I just sit in
> place swinging my weapon for a while?  Or should I just go for awhile on
> spell power alone until I get to the screamer-generator room?

Yup, purple worms are a big step.  I did the same thing: developed my wizards too
fast and my fighters too slow.  It's time to learn the "dungeon master 2-step"
Find an open area (2 X 2 squares will do)  Lure a monster there.  Attack and step to
the side.  ALWAYS KEEP THE MONSTER in the square diagonal to you.  As soon as it steps
in front of you, attack (have swords/axes readied before it steps in front of you),
swing, step to the side, and click on both of your fighters' weapons to ready them again.
When you get comfortable with this, you should be able to kill any monster bigger than you
without a scratch.  You just have to be quick and think ahead.  Just lead the monster around
in a circle.  Disadvantages of using this meathod: 1) Monster can choose to reverse directions
of chase: you can lead it clockwise for a while, and it will follow you.  But suddenly it
can switch directions and come from it's diagonal position to face you on your counter clockwise
side.  Don't anticipate which direction it will come from.  2)  Doesn't work for more than 1
monster at a time.  You can't lead the monster in a circle if you're being attacked from
two sides at the same time.

> Also, I saw what looked like a 3-foot-tall humanoid bee.  I panicked and cast
> my prepared level 3 fireball, and it went down in a heap.  What was that?
> How dangerous was it?

Dungon Master kind of makes you paranoid sometimes ;)  Bees are not too tough.  Except,
like worms, they poison you.

> Also, could someone post a somewhat canonical spell list?  Many people would
> be interested.  And if someone would mail me the IFF maps for the levels
> below the Firestaff level, I would appreciate it.

The IFF maps/spells files are avail everywhere.  I've seen them on 2 local (408) bbss,
CIS, QLINK (I think).   They should be avail somewhere on UNIX, but I haven't seen them
yet.  I'll work on uploading them.   (How do I submit to comp.binaries.amiga?)  Or how
do I post a binary here?

BTW, if any of you have the character HALK, you *can* develop his magic abilities.
By the end of the game, my HALK was an expert priest and expert wizard.

Jason Freund,   Sun Microsystems,    jasonf@cetemp.Corp.sun.com  <== summer address
Department of Computer Science, Univ California, Davis.   freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu
Quantum Link: JasonF5,   Compu$erve: 72007,244,  690 Erie Dr.,  Sunnyvale, CA 94087
STOLEN QUOTES -- Please give the authors credit if you know who they are!
"To understand recursion, you need to understand recursion."
"Wow!  Virtual memory!  Now I'm gonna build me a REALLY big ram disk!"
"My other computer is a SUN3/50."  "E. Pluribus UNIX"   -- authors unkown