[comp.sys.amiga.games] Motorcycle Games

skankman@ux1.lbl.gov (David Schurig) (07/20/90)

Has anyone an opinion on motorcycle driving games. I have
heard of two:   Hang On and RVF.  I have not had a chance to
try them or heard any reviews.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
dav

a275@mindlink.UUCP (Travers Naran) (07/20/90)

> skankman@ux1.lbl.gov writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <6220@helios.ee.lbl.gov>
>
> Org.  : Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Berkeley
> Person: David Schurig
>

> Has anyone an opinion on motorcycle driving games. I have
> heard of two:   Hang On and RVF.  I have not had a chance to
> try them or heard any reviews.  Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> dav

Super Hang On is incredibly good and challenging, the graphics though aren't up
to par with the arcade's, but the game play is there, sort of. :-)
Travers "T'aran" Naran (I am male)
Simon Fraser University, Computing Science (Burnaby, B.C., Canada)
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada, North America, etc...
Whovian, Prober, Treker, Quantum Leaper....
Mailing addresses:
   Usenet  Travers_Naran@mindlink.UUCP
or      uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Travers_Naran

Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Gareth Bull) (07/23/90)

In article <2543@mindlink.UUCP>, a275@mindlink.UUCP (Travers Naran) writes:
>> skankman@ux1.lbl.gov writes:
>>

>> Has anyone an opinion on motorcycle driving games. I have
>> heard of two:   Hang On and RVF.  I have not had a chance to
>> try them or heard any reviews.  Any info would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> dav
>
> Super Hang On is incredibly good and challenging, the graphics though aren't up
> to par with the arcade's, but the game play is there, sort of. :-)

        I have "The Cycles" (?) by Accolade. Nice. You play the part of a
rider in the FIM World Road Racing championchips. You have 3 bikes to choose
from, a 125cc, a 250cc and a 500cc. There are 12 (?) tracks in all, 5 levels
of ability and 3 racing modes, qualifying, single race and round of Championchip
as well as practice. You can save Championchips between races. I like it. I
don't like the "code wheel" protection, but that's no great drama as far as
game playability is concerned.

           Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  OR  com259h@monu1.cc.monash.oz
                      Alias: Gareth Bull, The Opal Dragon
           ---------> " If I said it, then *I* said it! " <----------

etxtsg@solsta.ericsson.se (Thomas Grennefors TX/DKI) (07/24/90)

> skankman@ux1.lbl.gov writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <6220@helios.ee.lbl.gov>
>
> Org.  : Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Berkeley
> Person: David Schurig
>

> Has anyone an opinion on motorcycle driving games. I have
> heard of two:   Hang On and RVF.  I have not had a chance to
> try them or heard any reviews.  Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> dav

I have tried both of them and i would say that they are quite different.

Super hang on is mor of an arcade game than a "real" motor cycle game.
Jour object is to drive a stage of the cource in a certian time. You got
obsticles on the side of the road that you can drive in to. The feeling of the
motorcycle isn't "real" i.e. it douesnt behave exactly as an real motorcycle.
It is quite fun, but i got bored after playing it 6-8 times.

In RVF honde you enter a road racing series. You start in a low serie and
works your way up.The behavior of the motorcycle is close to the real thing.
A computer magazine here in Sweden had two guys who compete in roadracing test
it and they thought that it was almost as the real thing. And they recognized
the courses from when they had competed there. This one is i.m.h.o far superior
to Hang on. This is a game that i still put into my diskslot from time to
time.

Ok thats my 7$ worth
--
!Thomas Grennefors               ! proud member off    Armaments 2:9-21
!Ericsson Telecom,Karlstad       ! THHS krfc (tlps)

pdt@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Peter David THOMPSON) (07/31/90)

Motorcycle games:

1) Super Hang On : 4 levels ok scenery I have finished 96%
2) RVF Honda     : 3 levels 10? traks/level intelligent opponents
3) Cycles (Accolade) : Test Drive on a motorcycle, from what i hear.

Recommended : RVF Honda. The *only* driving game with more than two
gears which allows you to change smoothly, etc. Allows saved positions,
has nice copper effects, scenery not bad - also a finite & fixed # of
oppenents who race according to your speed.