[comp.sys.amiga.games] The Great Giana Sisters

owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) (07/28/90)

Have any of you ever heard of a game called "THE GREAT GIANA SISTERS"?

It's a great game that is like Mario Bros, but tons better.  It's real old,
probably about 3 or 4 years old.  Great graphics, great sound, and simply
fantastic game play.  It's easy to learn, yet very chalenging.

A bunch of friends and I for the most part agree that it's the best game for
the Amiga that we've played.  We've played for hours on end.

Now here's the problem.  My friend had a copy, and I got a copy from him.  Now
please DON'T go labeling us as pirates.  We would buy this game in a second,
and the only reason we have copies is because we haven't been able to find it
anywhere, and couldn't find it before we got copies.  In fact, almost no one
has ever heard about it, or knew that it existed.

I've called places, and posted messages, and still no luck.  The best answer
I've gotten from a retailer is "We don't have any more", which could mean just
about anything.

If anyone knows who makes it, or where I can buy a copy, please let me know so
I can pick it up.

Thanks,
Steve
_____ ///______________________________________________________________________
|    /// Only Amiga makes it possible!         | Bootleg collectors,send mail |
|\\\///  Macintosh: the illusion of productivity  | (U2,REM,CuRE,Floyd,etc.)  |
| \XX/   OS/2: half an operating system        | All normal disclaimers apply |
|Steve | owen@euclid.enet.dec.com(Jul-Dec)| Insert cool quote into this space.|
|Owen  | sowen@lynx.northeastern.edu(Jan+)|                                   |

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (07/30/90)

In article <13981@shlump.nac.dec.com>, owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve
Owen) writes:

> Have any of you ever heard of a game called "THE GREAT GIANA SISTERS"?
>
> It's a great game that is like Mario Bros, but tons better.  It's real old,
> probably about 3 or 4 years old.  Great graphics, great sound, and simply
> fantastic game play.  It's easy to learn, yet very chalenging.
>
> A bunch of friends and I for the most part agree that it's the best game for
> the Amiga that we've played.  We've played for hours on end.
>
> Now here's the problem.  My friend had a copy, and I got a copy from
him.  Now
> please DON'T go labeling us as pirates.  We would buy this game in a second,
> and the only reason we have copies is because we haven't been able to
find it
> anywhere, and couldn't find it before we got copies.  In fact, almost no one
> has ever heard about it, or knew that it existed.
>
> I've called places, and posted messages, and still no luck.  The best answer
> I've gotten from a retailer is "We don't have any more", which could
mean just
> about anything.
>
> If anyone knows who makes it, or where I can buy a copy, please let me
know so
> I can pick it up.

Great Giana Sister has never been available in the shops because of a Mario
Bros Copyright Violation. Rainbow Arts, the great German company which made
recently TURRICAN (a very good game, like almost all of the Rainbow Arts
games), produced Great Giana Sister a few years ago, but as soon as the
magazines published a test (and before the game was out), Nintendo attacked
Rainbow Arts because GGS was too close to Mario Bros. At this time, Raibow
Arts was a small company and decided not to fight with Nintendo, so the game
was never marketed. Rainbow Arts had the same problem with a game called
Katakis, a shoo'em'up that was too close to R-TYPE. Finally the game was
modified and marketed under the name of DENARIS. It was modified a second time
and marketed under the name of R-TYPE by activision who bought the rights of
the game to IREM. Instead of writing their own R-TYPE, the guys from
Activision just made a deal with Rainbow arts, as they already wrote an R-TYPE
clone so close to the original.

So: Rainbow arts doesn't make original games, they copy everybody, but so what?
They make fucking great games !
TURRICAN, GREAT GIANA SISTER, X-OUT, R-TYPE, ROCK'N'ROLL,... The best game
company ? Certainly.

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (07/31/90)

don't forget to add to Rainbow Art's great list Garrison and Garrison II,
which blew the doors off of gauntlet and came out looooong before gauntlet
II.

THAT one I bought in the store before Atari could rip it off the shelf...

maffett@netcom.UUCP (Tim Maffett) (07/31/90)

In article <8548@mirsa.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:
>Great Giana Sister has never been available in the shops because of a Mario
>Bros Copyright Violation. Rainbow Arts, the great German company which made
>recently TURRICAN (a very good game, like almost all of the Rainbow Arts
>games), produced Great Giana Sister a few years ago, but as soon as the
>magazines published a test (and before the game was out), Nintendo attacked

   I BOUGHT Great Giana Sisters in a shop in Basel in summer of 1988.  When
I returned to the states I saw it at HT electronics for 1/2 as much.  So it
was available in stores for quite sometime.
   tim