[comp.sys.amiga.games] Help in Lords of the Rising Sun

cfg@caliban.cs.duke.edu (Christopher F. Gandy) (08/02/90)

   Ok, I give up. The best combination of strategy and arcade
sequences in an artistic masterpiece to come to the Amiga so far, and
I cannot win, and it is an arcade sequence killing me.

   Anyone with a clue how to succede in seiging a castle, I would
appreciate some hints. I have a hard enough time controlling my
character in that sequence, but even when I have him under reasonable
control, avoid being hit by enemy arrows, shoot a fair number of
enemy, etc, etc, etc, I invariably run out of time, never find the
gold hatted guard (or the princess when appropriate) and end up taking
losses in the neighborhood of 70:9 or so. There seems to be no way to
win without learning this seige skill.

   Any samurai out there willing to help me avoid shame and the need
to commit sepuku for inability to win this game?

* I won't grow up, not a penny will I pinch | Department of Computer Science,
* I will never grow a moustache, or a       | Duke University,
*       fraction of an inch.                | Durham, NC 27706
* Cause growing up is awfuller than all the |
*       awful things that ever were.        | ARPA:	cfg@cs.duke.edu
* I won't grow up, never grow up.....       | CSNET:	cfg@duke
*       Not ME!   (P. Pan & cfg)            | UUCP:	decvax!duke!cfg

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (08/03/90)

	RE Winning at Lords of the Rising Sun

	The secret is to play Yoshitsune, and avoid the silly siege scenes.
I'm an arcade zombie, and I can't beat the siege scenes either.  However,
I've never lost a game of LotRS....I just don't use Yoritomo.

Dennis Francis Heffernan	|  "Remember the words of your teacher,
dfrancis@tronsbox		|   your master: Evil moves fast, but
...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis	|   Good moves faster!"
Original text (c) 1990  	|   --Partners in Kryme, T-U-R-T-L-E Power!

vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Jhary a Conel) (08/03/90)

cfg@caliban.cs.duke.edu (Christopher F. Gandy) writes:

>   Ok, I give up. The best combination of strategy and arcade
>sequences in an artistic masterpiece to come to the Amiga so far, and
>I cannot win, and it is an arcade sequence killing me.

>   Anyone with a clue how to succede in seiging a castle, I would
>appreciate some hints. I have a hard enough time controlling my
>character in that sequence, but even when I have him under reasonable
>control, avoid being hit by enemy arrows, shoot a fair number of
>enemy, etc, etc, etc, I invariably run out of time, never find the
>gold hatted guard (or the princess when appropriate) and end up taking
>losses in the neighborhood of 70:9 or so. There seems to be no way to
>win without learning this seige skill.

To gain more time when sieging, have more armies present when
attempting the arcade sequence. If you play Yoshitsune, the warrior,
then you don't reaaly need to play the arcade sequence except when you
want to rescue the princess. The best strategy for rescuing the
princess is: wait till you have conquered Japan and left only 1 Taira
castle to take; the princess will always be there if haven't rescued
her before; by then you have many generals and you send them all to aid
you in capturing the castle; with all these armies, you will have a
fair amount of time up your sleeve for the rescue attempt. When she is
rescued, leave immediately or you risk getting her killed. Although you
lose the siege attempt, your losses should not be great. Then you can
attempt another siege, but this time without the arcade sequence and
thus you can win the game ...

             Regards.