[comp.sys.amiga.games] Post Dungeon Master Questions

jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason Freund) (08/01/90)

(* MINOR SPOILERS *)

	I have finished Dungeon Master twice, and these questions bug me.
If anyone knows any answers, possible answers, or other interesting questions,
phenomena, please email me.

 1)  Can you kill Chaos?

 2)  Is there anything more to the behavior patterns of thieves other
     than just taking what is in your hands?  Do they put them down in a
     particular spot or collect objects on the ground?

 3)  Do Monsters heal?

 4)  Can your health go higher than 999?  Can your level go higher than MON --
     (highest power symbol)?

     - Someone told me that "war cry" raises your priest & fighter levels
       alternatingly.  It works.  Punching things increases ninja level --
       (punches *must* actually hit something to count).  I can kill rats
       with my bare hands (and lots of potions) now.
       What is the best way to increase your wizard levels?  Fireballs?

 5)  Invisible/silent activations squares:  I've found 2 of them.
	1)  On the level with the powergem -- a square just outside the
	    tiny room with the powergem that seals off all stairs going
	    up above level 13, confining you to 14 & 15 forever.  Square
	    is only activated when you step on it carrying the firestaff
	    and the powergem.
	2)  This one is less obvious.  Level 9 (rats)  --  There is a square
	    that generates rats in the rat room in the NE part of the level.
	    Every time you step on it, a new rat or pair of rats is released
	    into that room.  The square is located exactly 3 steps east
	    and 2 squares north of the door that requires corobomite
	    ("Lighter Than Air..")  to open it.
	     --  Seal off the rat room, step on it a bunch of times
		 (allow 5-10 seconds between each time you step on it so that
		 the rats can move off of the square that they generate on to
		 make room for more rats), and soon the rat room will be filled
		 wall-to-wall with rats.  Send poison spells through the door
		 if you don't want to deal with them.  I am knee deep in
		 rat-chicken legs.

		Does anyone know of any other invisible/silent activation
		squares?

I'll post answers and/or more questions on this subject when I get them.

Thanks,
 -- one of the most-likely Amiga users to finish Chaos Strikes Back,

Jason Freund, Sun Microsystems,  jasonf@cetemp.Corp.sun.com  <== summer address
Deprtmnt of Computer Science, Univ California, Davis. freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu
Quantum Link: JasonF5,  Compu$erve: 72007,244, 690 Erie Dr, Sunnyvale, CA 94087

ring@cie.uoregon.edu (Randy Ingram) (08/02/90)

Wow those were some great hints.  I've been through Dungeon Master three times
now, and I just decided to dust it off to build my characters up for "Chaos".

I have a few more questions for anyone who has the answers.  They don't just
concern items in the original Dungeon Master and won't help for Chaos as you
start that game starkers (no equipment comes with you).

From various hintbooks and postings I've heard mention of a few items that I
never found in the Amiga version.  I suppose they may have been eliminated in
our version, like the lockpicks.

These items are:
		Dexhelm
		Powertowers
		Spirit Eye (an amulet)
		The Conduit (a wand)

Now I do remember one wand that didn't have a name.  Perhaps that's the conduit.
The other one was called the Teowand.

Here's a list of other items I was curious about.  Does anyone know the specific
powers of each of these:
			Calisto (crown)
			Gem of Ages (amulet)
			Ekkhard Cross (amulet)
			Moonstone (amulet)  adds mana, anything else?
			Jewel of Symal (amulet)
			Hellion (amulet)
			Pendant Feral (amulet... well, I guess it's REALLY a
				       pendant but let's not split hairs...
				       or HARES for that matter!)
			Rabbit's Foot (rabbit's foot)  :)

Just wondering.  Thanks for any answers.  Any tips on "Pumping Up" my party
would also be appreciated.  I went back to an old save before I forged the
firestaff.  After throwing the staff through the doorway (so the level would
not close) I'm just wandering around getting food and building up.

jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason Freund) (08/02/90)

(* MINOR SPOILERS *)

	I've gotten several good responses to my last posting.
	Disclaimer: If you are playing the game for the first time, you don't
want to read this message now.  There is nothing in it that will help you
finish the game.  It may, however, mention things that could spoil some of the
fun and suprises.

> 1)  Can you kill Chaos?
	Someone said he did 10K with just physical + tons fireballs, poison
clouds and couldn't kill him.

[...Question about thief deleted; no new info...]

> 3)  Do Monsters heal?
	I still don't know for sure, but I think that they don't.  It's hard to
tell since you can't see the effects of anything except physical damage.

> 4)  Can your health go higher than 999?  Can your level go higher than MON --
>     (highest power symbol)?

	999 is max H/M/S, but you can keep gaining levels after MON ("Arch
Master" levels go on forever). -- From Bill K., FTL

> 5)  Invisible/silent activations squares:  I've found 2 of them.
[...stuff about powergem room square deleted...]
>	2)  This one is less obvious.  Level 9 (rats)  --  There is a square
>	    that generates rats in the rat room in the NE part of the level.
>	    Every time you step on it, a new rat or pair of rats is released
>	    into that room.  The square is located exactly 3 steps east
>	    and 2 squares north of the door that requires corobomite
>	    ("Lighter Than Air..")  to open it.
>		Does anyone know of any other invisible/silent activation
>		squares?

	There is one for the screamer room on level 4, just 3 steps to the
left of the entrance to their room -- wait 10-15 secs between each time you
step on the square.

	Also, Bill K. from FTL said that there are *4* (four), (IV) speed
boots in the game.  Lets try to figure this one out folks.  One is in the
spider room.  I think one of the 4 doors on level 7 (that you can only open
one of) has one.  Where are the others?

	Someone posted earlier that the rabbits feet increas an invisible
stat called luck.  It's not a bad idea to try to build up your chars after you
finish the game.  In DM 2 (CSB), you start out butt naked in the dark being
attacked by large monsters.  I don't know what most of the necklace things do
that were mentioned in a recent posting.  Anyone?  Anyone?

Thanks,

uucp@rivm.uucp (08/03/90)

In article <140029@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason Freund) writes:

>(* MINOR SPOILERS *)

[stuff deleted]

>> 4)  Can your health go higher than 999?  Can your level go higher than MON --
>>     (highest power symbol)?
>
>	999 is max H/M/S, but you can keep gaining levels after MON ("Arch
>Master" levels go on forever). -- From Bill K., FTL

I'm pretty sure about the fact that max_Mana is 900 instead of 999.
Recently i boosted my figures to max (with an Action Replay Cartridge).
On disk all information is encrypted, but not in memory, yeah!!

So after setting the H/M/S to 999 i played somewhat around, but...
The first Wizard upgrade shrinked the Mana from 999 to 900 !?
Probably an overflow prevention against Mana increasing attributes (staff
of manar, vorpal blade, etc.).

Strange is also that Stamina is stored as 9999 max instead of 999, why?

Not only H/M/S are increasable, but also stats like strength, dexerity,
wisdom, vitality, anti-magic and anti-fire. This stats are max 255, but
probably this is too high. Sometimes my (one_man) team dies because of
nothing!!? (an upgrade??)
What are the max stats? (perhaps 170, the maximum with potions)
All stats at 127 does seem to work.
Unfortunately i can't figure out anything more because the cartridge wasn't
mine :-(.

My character is now Archmaster in all categories, but what's the limit of
forever?? Which level prevents myself from gaining upgrades?
Without any further upgrades the stats can be set to max without the
overflow danger!?

Well, that's all folks.

Oh, i almost forgot this: What was the time record to outplay DM?
With my character, 45 minutes from start to end!!!!

Arjan Bosse (lloab@rivm.UUCP)
--

rmal@cernvax.UUCP (richard lucock) (08/03/90)

I have some questions of my own, plus some end-game spoilers below.

1) was there any reason for having 2 matching sets of armour (ie one
white and one black). I went to some trouble to make sure that I had it
all available, and couldn't see any advantage over the usual pieces lying
around.

2) On level seven, approaching the room where the firestaff was held,
the 'see through walls' spell told me that there were a couple of spaces,
roughly two by two in size, at the points where the corridors doubled back
on themselves.  I couldn't find anyway in - could anyone else ?

3) On level 5 or 6 (not sure; the one where the green poisonous hissing
tentacled things first appear) there is a room off the main corridor (the
corridor leading to the main hall that has 4 doors around it). That room
has a poison snake and a chest in it - but I couldn't find a way in.
Any ideas ?

4) On level eight (the large open area with green ghosts) there are
two wall section with a door between them, just standing in the middle
of the area. Does this have any significance.

end-game spoilers below:

In article <140029@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason Freund) writes:
>> 1)  Can you kill Chaos?
>	Someone said he did 10K with just physical + tons fireballs, poison
>clouds and couldn't kill him.
> [deleted]
>	Someone posted earlier that the rabbits feet increas an invisible
>stat called luck.  It's not a bad idea to try to build up your chars after you
>finish the game.

Um, either I have quite a different version, or you haven't finished the
game.  You can (should !) kill Chaos, but not by force, and when you have
done so the game ends (ie you no longer have control over anything).

Spoilers on how to kill him:

Use the 'cage' option of the firestaff to build 'flux walls' on all sides
of him.  If you are not quick, he will teleport out.  Using walls as one
or more sides of the cage (ie so you only need 3 or 2 'flux walls') helps.
Then use the fusion option on him (NOTE my terms may be wrong here - I
have the french language version).

Richard

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (08/03/90)

In article <139873@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason
Freund) writes:
> 2)  Is there anything more to the behavior patterns of thieves other
>      than just taking what is in your hands?  Do they put them down in a
>      particular spot or collect objects on the ground?

 They just take what's in your left hand not right. From my experience,
they just hold on to it and run around possibly coming back for more
after awhile. Hard to remember DM these days but there are lots of
thieves in CSB and they ALL look alike (crispy brown after I mon fireball
them :-)

> Someone told me that "war cry" raises your priest & fighter levels
>        alternatingly.

 Well, I used war cry to raise my priest levels up four notches in a
row while not moving up in fighter levels. (Yeah, I was patient.) Being
hit by a monster does give you fighter experience. I've seen this happen
since I've had a couple of characters gain a level after they were
hit.

Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug2.154021.24818@cs.uoregon.edu> ring@cie.uoregon.edu
(Randy Ingram) writes:
> These items are:
>                 Dexhelm
>                 Powertowers
>                 Spirit Eye (an amulet)
>                 The Conduit (a wand)

 Was the Dexhelm in DM? The Powertowers is an item from CSB that you get
in the Dragon's Den... Regenerating dragons = LOTS of dragon steaks.
Don't remember the others but then I really didn't bother looking at the
name, just checking if it was cursed.

Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

Freund) writes:
> It's not a bad idea to try to build up your chars after you
> finish the game.  In DM 2 (CSB), you start out butt naked in the dark
being
> attacked by large monsters.

 Gee, they weren't that big, actually kinda small but they had a nasty
bite. They make you really want a flask right away and unfortunately
flasks are far and very few in CSB :-)

> I don't know what most of the necklace things do
> that were mentioned in a recent posting.  Anyone?  Anyone?

 Specific names and powers I dunno. But some do things like extra light,
slightly higher mana, increased resistance to fire or magic, higher
strenght... you get the idea. The best way to find out is look at your
stats before and after and see what has changed.

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) (08/04/90)

In article <2139@cernvax.UUCP> rmal@cernvax.UUCP (richard lucock) writes:

>3) On level 5 or 6 (not sure; the one where the green poisonous hissing
>tentacled things first appear) there is a room off the main corridor (the
>corridor leading to the main hall that has 4 doors around it). That room
>has a poison snake and a chest in it - but I couldn't find a way in.
>Any ideas ?

!!!! SPOILERS !!!!!     !!!!! SPOILSERS !!!!!!  !!!!!! SPOILERS !!!!!!!

There actually 2 rooms connected by a imaginary wall.  The entrance is also
an imaginary wall.  It's located in a hall near the room with pits.

Brian.

  Brian Gragg    briang@sdd.hp.com   hp-sdd!briang  uunet!ucsd!hp-sdd!briang

ameiba@reed.bitnet (Keith Steiger,L08,640,3578701) (08/04/90)

WARNING.  Dungeon Master hints for severe addicts and experts beyond the
following

Okay.  I have the SEVERE version of the Dungeon Master maps from Jason Freund
(thanks Jason!) and am going through the game for the second time to build up
NASTY characters for Chaos Strikes Back.

As far as the amulet list goes, I have some of that information.  Here goes--

	The Jewel of Symal raises either anti-magic or anti-fire--I forget.
	The Pendant Feral ADDS A WIZARD LEVEL.  YOW!
	The Gem of Ages, the Ekkhard Cross and the Hellion do nothing visible
		to stats or levels.
	The Calisto adds 10 to Wisdom when worn on the head.  Powerful.
	The Moonstone adds 3 to Mana as stated.
	The Rabbit's Foot is supposed to add points to luck.  I have no more
		information than that, and I don't know whether it has to be
		put into a particular spot to be useful.
	The wand called "Wand" drains mana from you when you use it.  This
		might well get it the name "The Conduit".

There are indeed four pair of speed boots.  I have all of them.

Level 7 (The Firestaff Level):
	In one of the treasure rooms.  Use the "magic vision" spell to find
	the right one.
Level 10 (Beware my twisted logic--The Scorpion Level):
	This is probably the hardest to describe in words.  Near the end of
	this level, there is the giggler (thief) area around the platemail
	room and there are the two scorpion rooms after that.  Between the
	platemail room and the first scorpion room, along the north wall,
	there is a "crack" style button.  Press it.  This will release a
	solitary skeleton southeast of there.  In the newly-revealed alcove,
	there will be a scroll and ANOTHER BUTTON.  Press IT.  Now go back
	to the FIRST button and there will be a newly-exposed area with
	platemail in it.  Walk THROUGH the back wall of this alcove and you
	will enter a secret room with a pair of speed boots in it.
Level 11 (The Clockwise Level):
	Go to "Enlarge my view", over by the skeleton staircase.  Step out
	the door to the area, turn left, walk forward two, and sidestep left
	into a secret door.  Step forward into another secret door.  Sidestep
	left into a THIRD secret door, and the speed boots will be visible.
Level 12 (The Knight Level):
	Inside the spider regeneration room--"Cowards will be hunted down and
	killed"--there is the Helm of Lite and some bombs and a pair of speed
	boots.  I recommend backing out IMMEDIATELY so you don't get
	surrounded and maimed.  Poison clouds help too.

Well, now I'll go back to my level 6 lightning bolts (better than fireballs
for practice, I think) and punching giant rats to death.

--
  Keith Steiger--ameiba@reed.BITNET, ameiba@reed.UUCP, tektronix!reed!ameiba
          "I am what you see.  Myself....  I cannot be otherwise."