[comp.sys.amiga.games] Question about graphics in Sierra games.

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) (07/31/90)

	Several years ago I played King's Quest (I) on my brother's
IBM.  Then I saw it on an Amiga and was very disappointed that the
graphics were a straight port from the IBM version, not taking advantage
of the superior Amiga graphics.  I did not buy it.  I have noticed that
the number of Sierra titles has grown significantly over the last few
years, with several "volumes" in the Space Quest, King's Quest, Leisure
Suit Larry, Hero's Quest, etc. available and most of them quickly released
as Amiga versions.  Now, I was comparing the list price of the Amiga version
of King's Quest 4 for the C64, IBM, Atari, and Amiga versions.  I noticed that
the Amiga version was over $10 higher than the others (C64 was the least
expensive).  The store employee (Babbages) told me that this was because
the Amiga version was newer and because of the additional programming needed
to take advantage of the Amiga's graphics.  Later he admitted that he has
never seen an Amiga or KQ IV on it, so I find his info dubious, to say the
least.  I like my graphics-oriented computer games to have nice graphics,
especially on the Amiga (e.g. Faery Tale Adventure).  So my question is this.
Has Sierra now begun to reprogram the graphics in the Amiga versions of their
games to use the Amiga graphics power???  I cannot justify paying $50 for
KQ IV just to find out that I could pay $39 for the IBM version, play it
at work, and have the SAME graphics.

Any info from Sierra game players would be appreciated.  Also, if you know of
any problems with the Sierra games and the A3000 (either with the 68030 or
with version 2.0 of the operating system) please let me know so I do not waste
my $$.

Thanks,

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (07/31/90)

	RE Amiga versions of Sierra games

	Well, from what I've heard, Space Quest II and Leisure-Suit Larry III
are supposed to have "enhanced Amiga graphics", whatever that means.

	I've got Manhunter I, and it's got EGA graphics and IBM beeps for
sound.  (Plus it's a rotten game.)

	I am NOT buying any more Sierra games until I *see* them running and
can see that they actually did bother to upgrade the graphics and sound.

Dennis Francis Heffernan	|  "Remember the words of your teacher,
dfrancis@tronsbox		|   your master: Evil moves fast, but
...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis	|   Good moves faster!"
Original text (c) 1990  	|   --Partners in Kryme, T-U-R-T-L-E Power!

elaine@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Elaine_May) (08/02/90)

I bought Space Quest III for my Amiga and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Graphics
and sound were quite good.  The humor had me laughing out loud.  I played
it for a couple of weeks straight until I solved it.

I've also got King's Quest I and Manhunter NY.  Graphics and sound in those
games are lame.

If you want to buy SQIII, let me know.  Original docs/disks/box plus a hint
book.  Say $20 -- I'll pay shipping.

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (08/05/90)

In article <22930004@hpmtlx.HP.COM> elaine@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Elaine_May) writes:
>I've also got King's Quest I and Manhunter NY.  Graphics and sound in those
>games are lame.

I just bought LSL III, solved it over a weekend, and then composed a
really critical letter to Sierra-On Line pointing out that I owned an
Amiga computer, expected the programs I buy to realise this fact.  I do
not expect EGA graphics that are so poorly programmed that Larry often
takes ages to flicker his way across a screen, nor do I expect sound
that would make a VCS programmer blush.

I urge all other Amiga owners (and Mac owners, and ST owners etc) to do
the same when they find a game like this: tell the company as firmly as
possible that their games did not meet your standards of presentation,
and that you purchased an Amiga (or PC, or Mac): not a PC clone.

I await their answer, but I do not really expect one.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433

mcuddy@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Mike Cuddy) (08/07/90)

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:

>In article <22930004@hpmtlx.HP.COM> elaine@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Elaine_May) writes:
>>I've also got King's Quest I and Manhunter NY.  Graphics and sound in those
>>games are lame.

>I just bought LSL III, solved it over a weekend, and then composed a
>really critical letter to Sierra-On Line pointing out that I owned an
>Amiga computer, expected the programs I buy to realise this fact.  I do
>not expect EGA graphics that are so poorly programmed that Larry often
>takes ages to flicker his way across a screen, nor do I expect sound
>that would make a VCS programmer blush.

Gee, I just solved LSL III, and on my amiga, the music is fine; now.
(let me explain...)  When I first got LSL3, I had 1meg, 2floppies and a
Hard drive.  If I played off of the floppies, it ran just fine (except
the music was terrible) If I played off of the Hard drive, it
guru'ed.  I called sierra (they were _Very_ helpful--some of the best
customer service I've ever seen for a game company; they even called me
back a coupla weeks after they had solved my problem to make sure that
I hadn't had any other problems--oops, I digress) Sierra told me that
it was probably memory; the hard disk drivers take up a good deal of
memory (esp. if you have more than one partition -- mine had 3) and so
the game (when run off the floppy) tried to be nice and let you play
(with shitty sound)  when I got more memory (and reformatted my HD to
have 1 partition) it's sound improved alot (about 10 different
instruments -- and the music is pretty addictive too ;-) >I urge all
other Amiga owners (and Mac owners, and ST owners etc) to do

As far as graphics are concerned, admittedly, they are not quite up to
par with say, psygnosis game, but they are designed for a lowest common
denomiator.  (part of) the reason they are so slow changing screens
(i expect) is that the graphics are 'object' based (vs. bitmap based) so
each screen is 'drawn' while you're not looking; this saves alot of disk
space.  as far as movin larry around, I don't know what there excuse is,
but all of the sierra games are pretty pokey with thier characters (watch
the animation slow down when there is something going on -- like the fountain)

Oh, well; just the ramblings of an old unix hack turned amiga hack..

>I await their answer, but I do not really expect one.

You will probably get one (unless you sent them a real nastygram, in which
case you deserve what you get--or don't get ;-)

--Mike Cuddy
"...He's a UNIX hack and he's okay, he works all night and he sleeps all day..."

Ps: watch for the amiga version of 'hextris' comming soon with full amiga'ized
graphics and sound; gee I hope spectrum holobyte will let me distribute it!

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (08/08/90)

In article <mcuddy.649981991@rutabaga> mcuddy@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Mike Cuddy) writes:

>As far as graphics are concerned, admittedly, they are not quite up to
>par with say, psygnosis game, but they are designed for a lowest common
>denomiator.  (part of) the reason they are so slow changing screens
>(i expect) is that the graphics are 'object' based (vs. bitmap based) so
>each screen is 'drawn' while you're not looking; this saves alot of disk
>space.  as far as movin larry around, I don't know what there excuse is,
>but all of the sierra games are pretty pokey with thier characters (watch
>the animation slow down when there is something going on -- like the fountain)

I find it highly unlikely that these were object oriented: they are just
bitmaps being clipped against other bitmaps in a very inefficient
fashion.  Object oriented graphics are utilised to produce resolution
independent images - LSL's are operating at much lower than the graphic
mode's.  Besides, it probably would not save disk space at all.  Just
sit down and work out the data for the Larry character, and you will
soon see what I mean.

If you read Sierra's blurb, you rather develop the impression that the
company thinks very highly of its game programming skills.  This view is
also strengthenned by the (stunningly corny) conclusion of LSL III.
This self-advertised view did not square with the garbage on the screen.

Put simply I said this:

a) The graphics are poor, even on EGA.  I bought an Amiga to use it as
   an Amiga: not a slow PC clone.  The actual artwork itself was also
   of poor quality, with some of the close-ups (eg. Patti sitting at
   the piano) being anatomically warped!

b) Portability across platforms may be fine, but you program for the
   top (which folks, I am sad to say, is the Atari Lynx), and work
   downwards.  If your PC versions does not look as good as the
   Amiga version, then that simply reflects the abilities of the
   hardware.

c) The question system is juvenile and too american-oriented.  How
   should I know what US TV show had the first flushing toilet?
   Why should I care?

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433
Macquarie University  NSW  2109   Also  : 61 2 805-7205
Australia                         EMail : ifarqhar@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz.au

stoller@cbmcel.UUCP (Martin S. Stoller) (08/09/90)

In article <377@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
DELETED STUFF>
>b) Portability across platforms may be fine, but you program for the
>   top (which folks, I am sad to say, is the Atari Lynx), and work
>   downwards.  If your PC versions does not look as good as the
>   Amiga version, then that simply reflects the abilities of the
>   hardware.
>
>Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-7420
>Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433
>Macquarie University  NSW  2109   Also  : 61 2 805-7205
>Australia                         EMail : ifarqhar@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz.au

And amazingly, the Lynx was designed by the same guys that designed the
AMIGA!!!  Also there is a rumor about the LYNX, that one needs an AMIGA
to PROGRAM the dang thing!!!(Don't know if this is true, but I kind of
believe it!!!)

I agree with the rest of what Ian says, though I've never played a Sierra
Game, just seen several in store windows...

--

   Regards,	Martin S. Stoller

/  UUCP: [{(uunet|pyramid|rutgers)!cbmvax}!cbmehq]!cbmsub!cbmcel!stoller     \
\  "We maverick maniacal Programmers must be machiavellistically marvelous"  \
/						...DEAMOND RING...	     \
\  "My RELIGION is 'C'; and my GOD is AMIGA..."  .M.S.S.		     \