[comp.sys.amiga.games] Chess for Amiga 500?

megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) (08/08/90)

I've just got myself an Amiga 500 computer and am looking for a good chess
game for it.  I'm a so-so player, so I need one that can play both below me
and beat me so that I can learn and move up.  Also, I would like it to be
able to multi-task on the amiga so I can run other programs while the
computer thinks about its move.

I'd love to hear your ideas and suggestions.

--
Mark E. Sunderlin: IRS Technocrat in Stephens City, VA
 aka Dr. Megabyte: megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us  (703) TOY-DUDE

nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug07.190632.2202@chinet.chi.il.us>, megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) writes:
> I've just got myself an Amiga 500 computer and am looking for a good chess
> game for it.  I'm a so-so player, so I need one that can play both below me
> and beat me so that I can learn and move up.  Also, I would like it to be
> able to multi-task on the amiga so I can run other programs while the
> computer thinks about its move.

I use Chessmaster 2000 for just that.  I think it may have a later
version than the one I have but I bought mine three years ago.

The only problem that I found was that I couldn't get back to the
other screens i.e. running a terminal program whatever.

To overcome this I started using Machii which provides a LEFT-AMIGA-M
key which cycles screens.

Chessmaster has a number of levels which should cater for most
players.

Regards
--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Nigel Harwood  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< Post:  Coles Myer Ltd, PO Box 2000 Tooronga 3146, Australia     >>

akcs.slippery_jim@tronsbox.xei.com (Mike Luis) (08/12/90)

Battlechess Is GREAT.

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (08/13/90)

In article <26c413dd-61.2comp.sys.amiga.games-1@tronsbox.xei.com> akcs.slippery_jim@tronsbox.xei.com (Mike Luis) writes:
>Battlechess Is GREAT.
                ^^^^^
I agree, but I have a problem.  My mom just bought the game for her
A500, but it doesn't work right.  The animation for each piece is VERY
slow, waiting several seconds before each frame.  Therefore, the queen
takes three minutes or so to get across the board.  I tried it on
my A1000 and it worked just fine.  I remember someone mentioning that
the original version of Battle Chess had some problems, was one of them
a failure to work on a A500?  She has 512k chip and 512k fast mem, and
an external drive.  I have 512k chip, 1.5 meg fast and two external drives.
Unfortunately, they really like the game, and keep playing it even in
this sorry state.  Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

                Thanks,
                Joe Peck
                peck@ral.rpi.edu