[comp.sys.amiga.games] Bard's Tale II - details??

jgh2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John G. Hardie) (08/15/90)

I have a question about the character files for BTII.  But first,
a story...

I started playing BTII with level 1 characters.  After being slaughtered
many times I got frustrated.  Off to a BBS to find a BT character
editor.  Found one for BTI so made myself some strong characters.  Used
the transfer option to make them BTII characters.  This was fine until
I tried to have my Wizard use some spells.  Guess what?  He didn't know
any.  Nice - now I've got this damn near omnipotent wizard but he's so
stupid that he only knows level 1 conjuror spells.  Ugh.  Still, it was
kind of fun seeing him beat the sh** out of monsters with his bare
hands ('WIZARD swings at the zombie and hits 124 times for 10038 hit
points damage...' - and he didn't even have a staff!).  Anyway, a little
looking with a hex editor and I've pretty much figured out the BTII
character files.  I've now got an editor which will - er- edit BTII
characters directly.  The magic users even know the correct spells.
I made an ARCHMAGE with some gawdawful huge number of hit points and
spell points (next thing to god).  Then made yet another party of
level 1 characters and had the ARCHMAGE shepherd them through the
training dungeon - letting them do most of the work, but resurrecting
the dead ones and blasting the monsters when they came too fast.  I
now have a level 15 party and am going to retire the archmage for a
while and strike out on my own.

And now the question:  to tie up loose ends I would like to know
what purpose bytes 43-50 and 80-86 serve in the character files.
Also what does the counter at byte 77(?) count?  I haven't been
able to figure these out - 43-50 are all 0 for level 1 chars and
other values for higher levels.  I can't yet see a pattern.  I leave
them alone if editing an existing char, set all to 255 for new chars
and this seems to work.  80-86 are always zero.

Thanks,
John
John G. Hardie					jgh2@unix.cis.pitt.edu
Dept. of Physics, Univ of Pittsburgh		jgh2@vms.cis.pitt.edu
	We chose the name Q because it's short and easy to spell

akcs.slippery_jim@tronsbox.xei.com (Mike Luis) (08/17/90)

If your using the ditor i think you are there is one problem with it.
to get you characters up where you want them. you have to
give them 16,000,000 experience each.
then get them raised at the reew board. i works no other way.

(sorry) IT works no other way.

jgh2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John G. Hardie) (08/18/90)

In article <26cac948-7a.1comp.sys.amiga.games-1@tronsbox.xei.com> akcs.slippery_jim@tronsbox.xei.com (Mike Luis) writes:
>If your using the ditor i think you are there is one problem with it.
>to get you characters up where you want them. you have to
>give them 16,000,000 experience each.
>then get them raised at the reew board. i works no other way.
>
>(sorry) IT works no other way.

This doesn't quite work:  As soon as you change class, your experience
points are reset to zero and you need to start over.  Unfortunately,
once the character is transferred from the BT1 editor, you cannot
change him.  Thus, you can get a level 7 character in only one
magic class.  All other levels and classes you'll have to earn.

Hence, I wrote my own editor for BT2 characters.  It handles all
spell levels correctly.  Archmages are simplicity itself...